The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Laguna Seca Value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostPony said:
I think a better comparison would be 2003-04 "Terminator" Cobras. Those cars were mid 30's new, and production numbers were similar, and trade for low to mid 20's now with low miles and unmolested. I can see mid 30's for the Boss LS in 5 years, and high 20's for the standard Boss. Regardless of performance of the new car in '15, these cars will still be special. New Mustang GT will outperform an '03-'04 Cobra, yet the Cobra retains it's value due to a very loyal fan base. I for one don't foresee letting go of my Boss, and I think a lot of others feel the same. That alone will keep values high if not very many cars make their way to market.

I think the cars you see out for sale now are the ones who had to have the latest greatest thing, and have now moved on. Once those cars find their way to someone who truly wants and appreciates a Boss, and as more are lost to attrition, the value will hold steady.

As for the old models and their value, it is nostalgia and rarity that drive the market. I see a lot of enthusiasm when I meet fellow Boss owners at shows and/or track meets. In 20 years or so, many who did let go of the Boss may regret it and again drive the market and value up to numbers none of us thought possible. I wouldn't bank on it with my IRA money, but anything is possible.

One of the key elements of your response that I feel is very important is the eventual loss of these great cars to attrition.

I think that issue is key and once the few 2012 and 2013 cars that are presently for sale get sold to enthusiasts along with an attrition rate due to wrecks on the track, normal base accidents, etc. that we will see these cars start to gain in value down the road.

Typically the first production year of any limited production car becomes the most valuable and I suggest that the 2012 Laguna Seca cars will follow that pattern as well.

The 2012 LS was mostly sought after of the 2 year production run just because of all of the hype of a new generation Boss 302 coming out along with many of these cars being sent to Mexico, South America, Australia, Europe and the Far East and I do not see that being quite the case for the 2013 LS cars. Just look at what the early 2012 LS cars sold for compared to the early 2013 LS cars sold for. Quite a difference.

Secondly I suggest that many more 2012 LS cars were tracked than the 2013 models thus the attrition rate for the 2012 LS cars will be much higher than the 2013 LS models.

Lastly, when was the last time anyone has seen a 2012 LS for sale with less than 15 miles on it? I may have missed some but they don't seem to be around unless I am missing them all?

Harry

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
LostPony said:
I think a better comparison would be 2003-04 "Terminator" Cobras.

Terminators had such a wide range of pricing. I had a friend buy a silver coupe in '05 for $18k. Rare colors like Comp Orange still fetch relatively high prices today. Production numbers are similar with the base Bosses, but they were available in so many colors and also had the coupe/'vert options.

5-6 years after they were out I think most were worth in the $18k to 25k range. Exceptional cars could still get close to $30k.

I guess many of the 'collectable' mustangs don't differ too much in their 5 year age range as a percentage of MSRP.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel