The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 mustang gt steering shudder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Las Vegas
Having some trouble with steering wheel shudder that’s mostly noticeable at higher speeds when taking a long sweeping turn on the highway. There’s even lots of vibrations and steering wheel movement while going straight though. Even at lower speeds the steering wheel will tick back and forth. The worst however is when turning on the highway. It turns into straight wheel shudder. I’ve replaced everything imaginable. I’m aware of the EPAS issues on 11 and early 12 cars and the rack has been replaced out of a 13 boss. I’ve also upgraded the front LCAs to Steeda LCAs, different brakes, and new wheel hubs. It’s not a tire balance issue as I’ve had 3 different sets with the same results. I’m lost on what it can be and am contemplating the boss 302r steering rack as a last hope. One question though, someone has mentioned steering angle sensor. Could this be the root of the problem? Or do they need resetting at any point after replacing a rack? Other mods to the car include BMR performance lowering springs, with an adjustable panhard bar in the rear. Also camber bolts. Car has been on an alignment rack many times.
Other notes—changing the steering settings will change the severity of the shake. Sport will firm things up and make the shudder less notable.
—Also if this helps diagnose, the car needs a lot of feedback. Almost as if it’s trying to steer itself and I’ll have to gently hold tension on the wheel to keep it straight.
Any advice is appreciated or even shop recommendations. Hard to believe but no one in Vegas seems to specialize in suspension stuff and the dealer was lost.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Las Vegas
I don't have this issue but I know there are other threads on here that that talk about this. Try a " steering shudder " search 🙂
I did just that and saw that some boss racks even have the issue. I’m going to change out the rack to the 302r rack and hope that does it. :)

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I did just that and saw that some boss racks even have the issue. I’m going to change out the rack to the 302r rack and hope that does it. :)
That's sounds like a plan!
Welcome to TMO .If you get a chance do a vehicle profile and add some pictures. There is loads of info on this site on pretty much anything you can think of for your Mustang!

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Las Vegas
That's sounds like a plan!
Welcome to TMO .If you get a chance do a vehicle profile and add some pictures. There is loads of info on this site on pretty much anything you can think of for your Mustang!
Will do, thanks so much!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
That is about how my 2011 acted after putting urethane bushings in the front end. The Boss 302r rack solved all of my problems. I wasn't are of any issues with the 2013 and up epas.

so... think maybe you could borrow a rack out of another car just to see?
it's a bit late for a rental car, not that I would recommend that.. today .. right now.. or that I have ever done that.. that you are aware of..

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Las Vegas
so... think maybe you could borrow a rack out of another car just to see?
it's a bit late for a rental car, not that I would recommend that.. today .. right now.. or that I have ever done that.. that you are aware of..
I like the way you think. 😂 it just throws me off because the rack has been replaced to one that is “supposed” to have less sensitive EPAS software.
Replace the bushings in the control arms with the OEM rubber. Poly bushings have been known to cause this. How Low is the car?
The control arms I bought from Steeda have a higher durometer rubber and were advertised to not trigger EPAS shudder. They aren’t poly but maybe they are the cause. The car isn’t super low, 1.5 inch drop all around.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Las Vegas
That is about how my 2011 acted after putting urethane bushings in the front end. The Boss 302r rack solved all of my problems. I wasn't are of any issues with the 2013 and up epas.
What’s the install like with the 302r rack? Plug and play? Does it come with everything needed? My inner and outer tie rods are newish but maybe I’d be better off getting new ones.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
What’s the install like with the 302r rack? Plug and play? Does it come with everything needed? My inner and outer tie rods are newish but maybe I’d be better off getting new ones.
I have a 2011 with factory Brembos and 19 x 9 wheels. The 302r epas was almost plug and play for me. I did have to file a little off the end of the tie rods which I understand is pretty common to get toe in correct. I know there are different part #'s for the stock racks based on the wheel size the car came with. Each # has different length tie rods and steering stop placement. The urethane bushings seem to be the nail in the coffin for the 2011 - early 2012 cars. I had some shudder under hard braking before then that I couldn't figure out. Once I put the bushings in it was hard to keep the car in a lane on the highway. I thought about getting a later model rack, but decided against it due to the variables involved. I was afraid I would get one and have the same problem. The 302r rack was an instant fix. The shudder under hard braking on the track went away as well. That is when I realized that it was related to the epas not the brakes.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Florida
I like the way you think. 😂 it just throws me off because the rack has been replaced to one that is “supposed” to have less sensitive EPAS software.

The control arms I bought from Steeda have a higher durometer rubber and were advertised to not trigger EPAS shudder. They aren’t poly but maybe they are the cause. The car isn’t super low, 1.5 inch drop all around.
My money is on the bushings being the cause

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Las Vegas
I have a 2011 with factory Brembos and 19 x 9 wheels. The 302r epas was almost plug and play for me. I did have to file a little off the end of the tie rods which I understand is pretty common to get toe in correct. I know there are different part #'s for the stock racks based on the wheel size the car came with. Each # has different length tie rods and steering stop placement. The urethane bushings seem to be the nail in the coffin for the 2011 - early 2012 cars. I had some shudder under hard braking before then that I couldn't figure out. Once I put the bushings in it was hard to keep the car in a lane on the highway. I thought about getting a later model rack, but decided against it due to the variables involved. I was afraid I would get one and have the same problem. The 302r rack was an instant fix. The shudder under hard braking on the track went away as well. That is when I realized that it was related to the epas not the brakes.
I wonder if I’d run into issues with my 20s. I guess I could always use the tie rods that are on the car currently.

Here is what I found from steeda. Does it sound accurate?
“Boss 302 rack only comes with inner tie-rod ends. We recommend installing the Steeda bumpsteer kit at the same time, which requires trimming 3/8" off each side. Other than that, yes, the rack is a direct swap.”

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Yes, that sounds accurate from Steeda. I went back through my notes. I believe the toe in issue was the result of me using the Maximum Motorsports bump steer kit. The ends bottomed out on the tie rods. Maximum Motorsports gave me the formula to determine how much to shorten. It was only about .020". It was easier to file them a little than to change out the tie rods. You just use a nut as your guide and file the end until flat against the nut. You can run a tap to clean up the end or just remove the nut and it dresses the end.

TMO Supporting Vendors