The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 or 2013 Boss tranny conversion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinker said:
Has anyone converted there Bosses to an automatic transmission yet ! I think one would be kind of neat .Do they even make one that would fit the cars.

Its the same trans as the other GT's, 6R80

FWIW

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fortes-Inboard-and-Auto-Connection/262615113001

been a Ford guy for over 40 years, his brother owns Turbo Action Transmission

http://www.turboaction.com/frame.html

Call @ 888 517 3178 ask for "Dom" tell him "Rob" sent you

gremlinsteve said:
one more here in texas.
6r80 swap.
drag car on boost.

could not keep the mt82 alive. the last blow up destroyed everything but the case.

Do you think the MT-82 would survive in a normally aspirated 3000 pound mid 10 second car?

It's hard to say
I have seen some go out with a stock motor
Some hold up fine

My opinion is that it will not take power shifts or high rpm clutch dumps at that power level using a good tire

gremlinsteve said:
It's hard to say
I have seen some go out with a stock motor
Some hold up fine

My opinion is that it will not take power shifts or high rpm clutch dumps at that power level using a good tire

Thanks for the answer. I read about guys running blowers on GT's with stock tranny's. I assume they are not using slicks. Perhaps slicks are what the tranny can't hold up to. I just love how the gear ratio in the MT 82 compliments the
Boss motor.

Justin said:
Lethal didn't break their stock trans till they got into the 9's....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. I know there are a bunch of T-5 haters too. I ran 10:60's with a bone stock T-5. I never went crazy on the clutch. I finally was convinced be others that I would break the T-5 so I upgraded to a T-56. I couldn't shift it. I Put the T-5 back in and never had a problem. What I'm driving at is that the MT-82 might be a great tranny in a light weight normally aspirated car.

i agree. myself i am not into the drag racing much anymore.
but like i said, i have seen a few 12.20 cars have there mt82 utterly destroyed after three launches. like you said, maybe its a driver and there technique. or just a bad day?

i love the gear spread in the mt82 myself...

There is no greater thrill than to run the Boss through the gears,I love the sound when the RPM's get over 6000 and the smoke is rolling !1 of the most memorible times I've had was grabbing gears around Miller Motorsport Park,these cars are capable of well more than the average person is capable of.Wouldn't be the same with an automatic !

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I'm still running the MT-82 in my Boss. I've got approximatly 50 passes on it at the strip and it is still holding up. I did change to a McLeod clutch early on. I have been told I am living on borrowed time with it. If it does break I don't know what I will go back with. I'm still trying to figure that out.

J.Shoot

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Abuse will break almost any transmission. They all have weak points and dumping clutches and not shifting correctly will break just about anything.

I have 233,000 miles on the T5 in my 1995 mustang and it still shifts perfectly. Yes a lot of highway miles but saw stop and go traffic every day with foot to the floor action every chance I had including power shifts and it has never been apart.

hmmm, that car also has the original water pump, starter, engine..... Ford really did refine the pushrod 302 over the years.

Is "track use" considered an abuse for a car that has been advertised as a "track ready" car?
I do not think so.
And track use is quite different than stop and go traffic...
The Boss (at least the LS) should have gotten the 302S tranny and clutch.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I guess I am referring to abuse as anything similar to clutch dumping or not being gentle with the clutch/gas pedals... I have a 1970 car where the input bearing had obviously failed and chewed up the input shaft and gear teeth. The rebuilder did not replace this part but simply ground off the edges of the teeth where it was damaged and struck it back in! The car was used for drag racing by the original owner (who also disconnected the rev limiter and blew up the engine) so it didn't surprise me to see this kind of fix but I was surprised to see the type of damage as this is a toploader from a 1970 Boss. If you have ever opened one, they are massively overbuilt compared to other tranny's that I have rebuilt.

Bottom line is, if you continually dump clutches or shift like a guy I know where the procedure from going from one gear to the next is as follows:

1. let off throttle
2. throw in clutch
3. shift gears
4. pop clutch out
5. foot back on the throttle

This is all done digitally where each action is done with a break between it and the next action and each action places an opposite force on the gear box and bearings and sounds like:

1 - clunk
2 - clunk
3 - whine
4 - bang
5 - bang

His vehicle was in the shop few a new clutch and input bearing after only 20,000 miles. Racing schools will teach you that it is important to be smooth on the controls. Quick but smooth.

The MT-82 should be able to handle the forces of the stock Boss 302 on the track after seeing its construction. I agree that there will be manufacturing defects that will cause some to break before their time but defects are normal. The question is, have we seen an overly number of these transmissions breaking? From what I have read on the forum, it doesn't appear that way.

NOW, don't get me wrong, I am in TOTAL agreement that the American built Tremec should have gone in these cars. I buy Ford cars because they are quality and they keep my brother and sister Americans employed. It really shocked me when I found out that the tranny was made in China. I would gladly have laid down another few thousand for the Shelby shift box. I think the bean counters screwed the pooch here BUT, just on appearance if this transmission proves to be satisfactory for the majority of track drivers which are in reality, normal people who want to learn to drive on the track. Abviously, the serious racer is going to make changes and Ford knows that.

John

Everytime I say a made in China debate starting I want to die. You realize though it was put together in China that doesn't mean inferior parts were put in, and if they were it is because they guys in Germany decided it should be so.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
JShoot said:
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I'm still running the MT-82 in my Boss. I've got approximatly 50 passes on it at the strip and it is still holding up. I did change to a McLeod clutch early on. I have been told I am living on borrowed time with it. If it does break I don't know what I will go back with. I'm still trying to figure that out.

J.Shoot
I agree, I've been lucky, and have well over 50 time slips, but I don't use launch control or powershift.
Here's a video of me shifting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D6o4tRmmfk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Brandon302 said:
Everytime I say a made in China debate starting I want to die. You realize though it was put together in China that doesn't mean inferior parts were put in, and if they were it is because they guys in Germany decided it should be so.
Just because it's well designed doesn't mean it actually gets manufactured to spec ;) I think we have enough history with this gearbox already to know it's not holding up or shifting like the Tremec. (I own Mustangs with both) I've seen a significant amount of production pulled from China in my industry due to the failure of many plants to produce at a consistent quality level.

TMO Supporting Vendors