The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Owner's Guide Boss 302 Supplement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is the Boss supplement to the 2012 owner's guide....LOTS of great stuff in here. Happy reading!

Attachments

• 2012_Mustang_Owners_Guide_Boss_Supplement.pdf
    315.2 KB · Views: 382
Nice. There's some great info in there. All we need now are the cars.

Sway bar sizes and spring rates are listed. The LS has stiffer rear springs and a larger rear bar. The front bar is the same and the LS has softer front springs.

GA
Thanks for posting this. I hope the vehicle never needs to be towed. ::) I can visualize the tow truck driver's expression when I break out the manual.

Mark said:
Another cool tidbit:

Engine weight is 444lbs., so one pound per HP!
That's the best part of this car for me. That's 400 lbs lighter than my GT500 engine. (Est 750 crank hp is still almost 1lb per HP) Talk about nose heavy! I can't wait to feel the difference. I'm expecting it to be night and day on the road course.

PJWANNABE said:
Thanks for posting this. I hope the vehicle never needs to be towed. ::) I can visualize the tow truck driver's expression when I break out the manual.
I had my GT500 on the flat bed quite a few times. You definitely want a flat bed and make sure they bring some boards. Most flat bed drivers are used to dealing with low clearance cars. I had two bad alternators, a bad FRPP Pro-Cal tuner (locked the PCM) and blew the exhaust off once on the interstate. I also trailer my car on a tilt bed trailer so it's similar to loading on a flat bed tow truck. Even if your front splitter rubs a bit on the way up, it's no worse than the scuffing it will get on some steep driveways. Fortunately they flex ;D

Page 36 on track prep is interesting. I really wish my dealer was getting a Laguna Seca first quarter so I wouldn't have to do so many mods, but oh well. Looks like at a minimum I'm going to be ordering the brake cooling kit, transmission scoop (cooler) and front splitter. I really hope some guys get the splitters on early. I'm just not sure it will go on my tilt bed trailer but might with some extended race ramps. I know they say put on/take off for track use, but that's a lot of work to do in addition to a pad and wheel swap, brake bleed/swap plus loading on the trailer, etc. If you had to put the splitter on at the track with jack stands, that could be a PITA.

Also interesting on the brake bed-in procedures. The Hawk DTC pads I use don't require that many stops to bed-in. I won't be using the stock pads/rotors on the track anyway.

When you look at the LS gauges, there really isn't much there. The performance gauge is mildly interesting but practically useless. There's not a lap timer that would prove useful. The 1/4 mile performance is not very accurate as it doesn't account for wheel spin. Same with 0-60 times. You can get all those same performance parameters in addition to ECT, oil pressure and many others with an Aeroforce Interceptor CN-Series gauge for $250.

cloud9 said:
You can get all those same performance parameters in addition to ECT, oil pressure and many others with an Aeroforce Interceptor CN-Series gauge for $250.
But does it look as cool? ;) Let's hope the pod can be had for closer to $1K which seems more reasonable.

That's a huge difference in engine weight. Isn't the 2011 GT500 engine quite a bit lighter?

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
You can get all those same performance parameters in addition to ECT, oil pressure and many others with an Aeroforce Interceptor CN-Series gauge for $250.
But does it look as cool? ;) Let's hope the pod can be had for closer to $1K which seems more reasonable.

That's a huge difference in engine weight. Isn't the 2011 GT500 engine quite a bit lighter?
I actually prefer stealth when it comes to performance. My GT500 is a total sleeper. Unless someone can tell it's been lowered, there's no indication it's been modded at all. Having the gauge in the A/C pod, it's not only inconspicuous, it's easier to read. Many unsuspecting Vettes, Camaros and fart can equipped ricers have been shocked to find out it's not close to stock ;)

The 2011 GT500 aluminum block saves 80 lbs.

I think they have the spring rates wrong. According to that manual the reasr are stiffer and I can't believe that's true especially with 25mm rear bar.

cloud9 said:

not that it matters but:

"Using the PTWA process allows the block to have a thinner surface coating – only 150 microns deep – that is just as tough as one with cast or pressed-in iron or steel liners. However, using less material results in lower weight. According to Hameedi, the GT500 block is 8.5 pounds lighter than the sleeved GT version. Overall, the complete engine is 102 pounds lighter than the 2010 cast iron engine. The steel coating has also helped Ford reduce the internal friction of the engine, aiding both efficiency and power production. "

maybe that includes the savings with EPAS?

908ssp said:
I think they have the spring rates wrong. According to that manual the reasr are stiffer and I can't believe that's true especially with 25mm rear bar.

*invests in kidney belt

:)thanks for the info. It is very useful, especially requirements/preparation & maintenance for racing. I have a base BOSS 302 on order, want to do some light road racing, no high speed track or drag racing. Warranty info a little disappointing--it is voided if car is raced?????

Mark said:
cloud9 said:

not that it matters but:

"Using the PTWA process allows the block to have a thinner surface coating – only 150 microns deep – that is just as tough as one with cast or pressed-in iron or steel liners. However, using less material results in lower weight. According to Hameedi, the GT500 block is 8.5 pounds lighter than the sleeved GT version. Overall, the complete engine is 102 pounds lighter than the 2010 cast iron engine. The steel coating has also helped Ford reduce the internal friction of the engine, aiding both efficiency and power production. "

maybe that includes the savings with EPAS?

Yea I'm not sure what all is included in the calculations. I've heard the 100lb figure as well. The bottom line is the curb weight of the 2011 GT500 coupe was reported as 3840 and the 2007 is 3920. The net weight savings is 80 lbs., but I'm not sure if it's all in the engine compartment or not.

TMO Supporting Vendors