The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 T/C & Advanced Trac "Sport Mode" settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK little confusion on selection of Sport Mode for the T/C. The manual table indicates "Button pressed twice brakes applied" to get in the "Sport Mode" When I do that the T/C icon does come, however the info display comes up "Advanced Trac On" then that goes out. Is that right, or should it indicate "sport mode"?

It will say sport mode.

What you're seeing happens if you pause too long between each depress of the button. Basically your first push of the button turned Advancetrac off, then the second press turned it back on.

Try it again and play with it until you figure out the right rhythm.

Can someone please confirm that there are only a total of 4 different Traction Control options:

1. TC on (default setting)
2. TC off (press TC button 1x)
3. Sport Mode (press brakes and quick-tap TC button 2x)
4. All off (press brakes and hold down TC button for ~7 secs)

What exactly "turns off" when option 4 is set?

Are there other options/functions that cab be changed (other than steering wheel feel)?

I wish the steering feel could be modified when everything was turned off... I dont like the heavy weighted steering feel, since it only creates extra effort and no additional feel.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mad Hatter said:
That has to be with the brake fully depressed right?

Not 'fully'. I engage it rolling sometimes. I think where ever the brake light switch is activated.

Sydewaysix said:
Can someone please confirm that there are only a total of 4 different Traction Control options:

1. TC on (default setting)
2. TC off (press TC button 1x)
3. Sport Mode (press brakes and quick-tap TC button 2x)
4. All off (press brakes and hold down TC button for ~7 secs)

What exactly "turns off" when option 4 is set?

Are there other options/functions that cab be changed (other than steering wheel feel)?

Full off also turns off some of the torque management programming (ability to pull power) and apply brakes, etc.

Can't think of anything else that's user selectable on the '12s not sure about the '13s.

F.D. Sako said:
I wish the steering feel could be modified when everything was turned off... I dont like the heavy weighted steering feel, since it only creates extra effort and no additional feel.

Never realized this. So when all nannies are off the steering is locked in "sport" mode,i.e.: heaviest feel?

Berol said:
It will say sport mode.

What you're seeing happens if you pause too long between each depress of the button. Basically your first push of the button turned Advancetrac off, then the second press turned it back on.

Try it again and play with it until you figure out the right rhythm.

Thanks, I'll try a quick double tap :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Option 2 only turns off traction control but not stability control. It will allow you to spin the rear tires but will cut power/ apply brakes if the car tries to get sideways.
Option 3 "loosens things up" and locks the steering into sport mode, but leaves everything on
Option 4 turns off all traction and stability control. You can do donuts, spin out, drift, whatever you want... If you're on a track and driving very aggressively, the car eventually and inevitably turns it back on when it thinks you're about to have a high speed crash (and ironically, possibly causing you to have a crash due to the sudden unexpected tank slapper). This is why people add the race ABS unit.

noldevin said:
Option 2 only turns off traction control but not stability control. It will allow you to spin the rear tires but will cut power/ apply brakes if the car tries to get sideways.
Option 3 "loosens things up" and locks the steering into sport mode, but leaves everything on
Option 4 turns off all traction and stability control. You can do donuts, spin out, drift, whatever you want... If you're on a track and driving very aggressively, the car eventually and inevitably turns it back on when it thinks you're about to have a high speed crash (and ironically, possibly causing you to have a crash due to the sudden unexpected tank slapper). This is why people add the race ABS unit.

Great info! I don't get it though - why would Ford offer option 4 and then allow it to intervene without warning?!

Sydewaysix said:
Great info! I don't get it though - why would Ford offer option 4 and then allow it to intervene without warning?!

Option 4 is just plain driver skill! Like all cars were before nannies were invented. ??? Unless you have lots of seat/track time and know your cars (and your own) limits you may not want to switch it all off. But on the other hand unless you do you will never really learn the limits. :-\

k98dave said:
Option 4 is just plain driver skill! Like all cars were before nannies were invented. ??? Unless you have lots of seat/track time and know your cars (and your own) limits you may not want to switch it all off. But on the other hand unless you do you will never really learn the limits. :-\

Keep in mind that as you progress and push the S197 harder, having the advance trac on may put you into a wall. The programming is not very suphisticated and can kick in abruptly causing the rear end to come around. After this happened to me a few times, I started turning the system completely off.

2012-Boss said:
Keep in mind that as you progress and push the S197 harder, having the advance trac on may put you into a wall. The programming is not very suffisticated and can kick in abruptly causing the rear end to come around. After this happened to me a few times, I started turning the system completely off.
I agree. I turned mine off on my 6th track day and never looked back. I was told the car would be easier not harder to control with it off and it was. The TC and driving modes in the GT350 are significantly better and I've been driving mine in track mode and leaving the TC on and haven't had it interfere (yet).

Just curious, but do you/did you guys drive with everything off on the streets? Not that anyone should be driving recklessly on public roads, but I do like to take the occasional "spirited drives" through the canyons 8)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Sydewaysix said:
Just curious, but do you/did you guys drive with everything off on the streets? Not that anyone should be driving recklessly on public roads, but I do like to take the occasional "spirited drives" through the canyons 8)

I leave mine on or on sport mode on the street. It is not a controlled environment like a track.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Turning off all TC and AT nannies is a part of my Boss start up procedure. But, I had to learn how to control a Live rear axle car before I got to this point.

I have to say that on occasion I do like to chirp second gear rubber.

For my application, I only drive the Boss on nice days and she is stored during the winter.

Have fun with your ride,
302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think for street driving the T/C is great and does not take away much fun on a Canyon run. Once you fly off the track a couple of times you notice that you get a little extra respect for what could happen on the street..... the consequences of a mistake usually much higher!! All out driving is for the track!!

On

Mad Hatter said:
I think for street driving the T/C is great and does not take away much fun on a Canyon run. Once you fly off the track a couple of times you notice that you get a little extra respect for what could happen on the street..... the consequences of a mistake usually much higher!! All out driving is for the track!!

On

Completely agree. Definitely not "pushing it" when running through the hills, but I do like to hear the growl of the motor/exhaust 8) I went out last weekend and actually liked how the car felt with TC On, more so than when I had it in Sport Mode and All Off. This was the main reason I asked the question as it didn't feel all that safe/stable when all nannies were off (rough roads, etc). Safety first gents ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel