The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 vs 2013

Which one do you like better?

• 2012 Boss 302

Votes: 76 68.5%
  • 2013 Boss 302

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I prefer the 2012 body style,2013 looks to much like a Shelby,if i would have wanted a Shelby i would have ordered one,also Competition Orange and Black was a must for me which 2013 does not have.

I like the HID headlights of the 13. And I like the rear bumper which has more of an integraged rear diffuser as opposed to our 12. However, the 13 looks soft. I think the 12 looks more aggressive and more "race" inspired.

These new wheels on the 2013 GT500 vert sure look nice. I wonder if FR will make a 19x9 and 19x10 version of them?

More photos here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/05/2013-ford-shelby-gt500-convertible-caught-enjoying-the-weather-a/

shelby-gt500-vert.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
You forgot the 1971/2014 Boss 351. ;)

I miss me some Cleveland action. My parents had a 71 yellow Torino wagon with a Cleveland that they kept until I was about 5 years old. I blame that car for making me the man I am now.

With the GT500 going up to 650 hp, there is room for a 500 or maybe even 550 hp boss if they wanted to make a more drag oriented 351. I recall reading something from Ford about how many Bosses they planned to make, and it was something like 3000 12s, 7000 13s, 3000 14s but that was a long time ago. You guys are also forgetting the 429. They could make a monster NA drag style car out of it. I wouldn't buy one, but I can know a few people that definitely would. Trying to convince my bro to buy our friend's 2011 GT500 off him when the guy gets the new one.

Oh and to the comment about leaves in the vent, I had an Evo and the hood has a huge vent. Never had an issue with junk getting sucked in, as it is designed to let hot air out. I'm sure they added baffles and mesh or something similar in the 13 vents.

Just curious if there is a performance difference between MY's 2012 and 2013. I haven't found anything as far as tests/reviews for the '13, and everything I've read says there's no change other than sync, hood vents and the message center and track apps. Anybody know of any performance/hardware changes?

My local dealer just took my 2013 SBY LS order and will hit send when they get their LS allocation info.

Tyler1104 said:
Just curious if there is a performance difference between MY's 2012 and 2013. I haven't found anything as far as tests/reviews for the '13, and everything I've read says there's no change other than sync, hood vents and the message center and track apps. Anybody know of any performance/hardware changes?

My local dealer just took my 2013 SBY LS order and will hit send when they get their LS allocation info.
Mechanically the cars are same and the changes you mentioned are the only ones I know about other than the body styling changes. Good luck with your order.

When the 2010 GT 500 came out I wasn't crazy about the nose on it. I liked my 2007 500 better. One thing I liked was my 500 stood out from the other mustangs. And now that all the mustangs will carry the same look I definitely would not care for one. I don't hate it but prefer the 2012 better. I had 2 1970 Boss 302's and I favor the hockey puck stripes. Just different. I never hated the 69. I think the C stripes fit or look better the 2012 than the 69. I do like the hood vents and wish mine had SYNK and satellite radio. That I will change.

I absolutely don't like the grille with the 2013. It doesn't look right. Too crammed in or something.

I also got a unique color ( at least I think so) my car was used with 680 miles both options, car cover and owner kit for $39,300 I don't think I could do that good on a 2013.

So I am happy and lucky to have it. Car could use some more power, the GT 500 spoiled me. 551 at the wheels ( and that is conservative compared to some )

I spoke with Justin at VMP tuning and and a Roush charger could be something to think about in the future.

This is a tough one for me. There are elements about the 13 that I really DO like(synch, performance center screen, HID's, hood vents, grabber blue, sby, the reflective stripes) but the new car really does look too much like a Shelby, or any other 13 for that matter. I'm going to have to go with the 12 simply because it is much more unique looking.

Really like the 13 removable fake fog lights, too add more air, may be some one could make a new 12 grill like this! That is really cool, also hood vents, but that is all that I would change on my 12.

5 DOT 0 said:
jeepinocala said:
5 DOT 0 said:
jimprw said:
Post how they sound and how you like them - those are the ones I'm pretty well settled on myself.
I had a chance to hear them last month on a Boss with 3/4" discs and I liked it enough to buy them. It adds a deeper tone without being too loud. The exhaust engineer that worked on the Boss program recommends them and he says there's no drone. I also had a chance to hear the Bassani system on a 5 DOT 0 and as soon as the guy started his car my first thought was they were too loud for me. They did sound good at high RPM's though. ;D

Do you mean the stock ones or a brand name? the ones you herd. these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Ford-Mustang-GT-and-or-GT500-Axle-back-Exhaust-Stock-OEM-/130606403284?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e68bf8ed4
Ford Racing GT500 mufflers. Those are not the correct mufflers.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M5230MGTCA1/2011-Mustang-Gt-50L-Ford-Racing-Gt500-Axle-Back-Exhaust-Kit

Rick, these are the ones you're using and the ford engineers recommend?
Dave

I bought the gt500 mufflers and they are great even better with the qtp. as for a comment of the 2013 with synk you ask my wife about sunk it reall is crappy I had a 2010 camaro 2ss and now that system was nice as for the addons synk is not something I would ever want in a performance car wait until you have to deal with it better get the extended warrante. I went with a clarion nx500 with the bosch system and added jl audios high end replacement speakers no complaints here at all. I am not a fan of the sunk system I get to hear about it all the time. I do like the look of the 2013 hid light though

Like them both but when I saw the first photo of the 2013 I decided that would be my new tow. I was not even in the market for another car since I have several and bought a 2011 SHO last year as my daily driver. The 13 BOSS "Made Me Do It". I will keep it for sunny days on the weekends. Long term potential since I am over 50 and would probably leave it to my son when I go to the Stable In The Sky.

Have '13 coming, so I went ahead and voted that direction.

However, I like the looks of the '12 better, the functionality of the '13 better. Functionality is a sure thing, maybe my opinion on the looks will change with time.

I like them both as well. I was initially going to get a 2013, but the wait would have been difficult. So being inpatiant, I couldn't wait and got the 2012.

The poll is flawed statisically speaking you would have to wait until members of the 2013 community get there cars and conduct the poll this time next year. This way you potentially are sampling the same size community for both year models. The majority of the folks today are 2012 owners do you actually think a fair number of 2012 owners are going to vote down there model year. In terms of colors and which is the most appealing to the eye, google 2013 black and silver Laguna Seca. I have been to every ford event from LA, PA and MI. I have seen all the color in person my cousin is the marketing director for Ford USA. The black/silver color scheme side by side with the other colors is simply unbeleiveable and there isn't a close second. Hands down all the show goes thought the black/sliver was the best and some potential buyer were updet the standard boss did not come in the same coloe scheme. The next best color voted by thoise who attend the show was the Graber Blue. Bottonline google it yourself and you be the judge. I gave up my SBY lost my deposit only to put another deposit on this Black/silver color scheme. Can't wait until May of this year. At any rate regardless of the model year the Boss is the most well rounded pony car Ford has every built. Oh! by the way no need to sweat that this car will be continued in 2014. Ford is a historically motivated company that is a traditionalist at heart like the 70's the 302 was a 2 year run. With that said 400 series boss could be feasible ie... 429. for those of you who bought this car it should be unitil death do us part because it will be a while before another car like this hits amerca by storm.

Let me start off by saying this is my first post. I ordered a Black/Grey 2013 LS. Just found out its is a 2nd quarter build. I am upgrading from a 2006 GT premium in Tungsten Gray(best Mustang color ever!). I have been reading posts for the last few days and have really enjoyed the site. Super excited for the track attack. Thanks for all of the pics and videos.

As for the 2013 vs 2012; we all win. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Except the silver/red LS. YIKES! The nose on the 13 isn't my fav but I prefer the color/striping of the 13. The roof color was a turn-off for the 12 also. I'm not a very bright or flashy person and the Black/reflective Sterling grey sealed the 13LS for me. Well that and the lack of a back seat, I hate having to be the one to do chauffeur duty.

On to the creature comforts. I am giving up my 6 disc CD changer in the upgrade and I like that the 13 has sync w/ usb input so I can listen to music. There will be times when the sweet rumble will be enough but many more as a daily driver that I want something going on the stereo. The HID and the tail lights will be mean looking on the Black/Grey beast.

Mike

06GT to 13LS said:
Let me start off by saying this is my first post. I ordered a Black/Grey 2013 LS. Just found out its is a 2nd quarter build. I am upgrading from a 2006 GT premium in Tungsten Gray(best Mustang color ever!). I have been reading posts for the last few days and have really enjoyed the site. Super excited for the track attack. Thanks for all of the pics and videos.

As for the 2013 vs 2012; we all win. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Except the silver/red LS. YIKES! The nose on the 13 isn't my fav but I prefer the color/striping of the 13. The roof color was a turn-off for the 12 also. I'm not a very bright or flashy person and the Black/reflective Sterling grey sealed the 13LS for me. Well that and the lack of a back seat, I hate having to be the one to do chauffeur duty.

On to the creature comforts. I am giving up my 6 disc CD changer in the upgrade and I like that the 13 has sync w/ usb input so I can listen to music. There will be times when the sweet rumble will be enough but many more as a daily driver that I want something going on the stereo. The HID and the tail lights will be mean looking on the Black/Grey beast.

Mike
You older car your trading in is that the grey that looks like gun metal? If so damn thats the one color I think is the absolute best.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel