The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013-2014 Driver Airbag Recall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuvl70

2013 Grabber Blue #216
AZ
Just found out Ford issued a recall for 2013 - 2014 Mustangs built at Flat Rock. Checked my VIN and it is listed. Ownerford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls/results

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
The attached link says 2005-2014 Mustangs built at Flat Rock.

That said, my 2012 does not show any open recalls-yet-

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-adds-more-than-1-88631.html

Ford expands Takata airbag recall roster

Ford announced Thursday that it is expanding its roster of vehicles subject to the Takata airbag inflator recall campaign. The expansion includes several model years of the Mustang, Ranger and GT supercar.

The total number of Ford vehicles now subject to the recall has reached 1,509,535.
The expansion covers 2005-2014 Ford Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant for driver side airbag inflators, 2005-2006 Ford GT vehicles built at Wixom Assembly Plant for driver side airbag inflators, 2004 Ford Rangers built in North America at Edison Assembly Plant and 2004-2006 Ford Rangers built at Twin Cities Assembly for passenger side airbag inflators.

Ford previously recalled all Ford Mustangs built at Flat Rock Assembly between August 18, 2004 and June 25, 2007 and all Ford GTs built between Feb. 11, 2005 and January 30, 2006 at Wixom Assembly.

Ford is just the latest manufacturer to expand its Takata campaign at the end of May. Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, FCA and Honda all added to their recall programs this week, expanding the industry roster by more than five million vehicles as the total global impact appears poised to surpass 40 million units.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Based on some of the TV news I've heard, make it more of a priority if you live in a high humidity area. Not sure why that is, but the failure rates seem to be higher with humidity.

I'm in SoCal where it's dry so I'm not putting myself first in line for the repairs even though I have two potentially affected cars.

The VIN Tool here -

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

now showing recall notice for my 2012 Boss as well as Ford site.
It wasn't there last month.

Shows as no remedy with dealers yet.

"RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available"

Here in the state of Virginia each car is required to be inspected yearly, I dropped of my 06 yesterday and the service manager said there are actually two parts to the recall. He told me at this time they can only do one part of it.

shogrence said:
The VIN Tool here -

My 2013 says the same thing. I will look into it at work next week.

Talked to a different service manager yesterday when I picked up my car. He said the two recalls are almost the same exact thing, one is a priority for cars with an airbag light. So probably different funding to make sure parts are available.
They changed the airbag in my 06 Mustang, and will change the airbag in my 13 Boss in August when it gets it's yearly inspection.

MA
Guys, there are 2 separate recalls affecting S197 cars. the first one, was 14B09 which was for 2005-2006 Ford GT and 2005-2008 Mustang. That was the first recall, and parts are available for it. Recently, as in the last month or so, 15S21 was announced and this is the one that affects us. Parts for 15S21 have not been developed yet, and owners will be notified of this the week of July13. When parts are available, there will be another notice sent out.

shogrence said:
The VIN Tool here -

Mine says the same thing!

Flight96

69 Mustang Vert Restomod BOSS 351 & 2013 BOSS 302
IM on the recall as well. Talked to the dealership yesterday, they are waiting for the parts and remedy direction.... Here is what I got...

VIN: 1ZVBP8CU*********
Recall Date: MAY 27, 2015
Recall Title: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319
Ford Recall Number: 15S21
Recall Description: IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.
Risk to Safety: IN INFLATOR RUPTURE COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY INJURING VEHICLE OCCUPANTS
Remedy Program: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WITH A NEW ONE, FREE OF CHARGE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel