The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Aftermarket??????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you looking for? Mechanically the cars are virtually identical with only cosmetic changes plus SYNC and the new dash.

jersey jay said:
Is there anything out there yet in the aftermarket for the 13's? I see 11 and 12, very little for the 13.

Not sure what you're looking for but it will take time. The car is just out and 3d parties need to get their hands on one to test the various pieces and parts. Then go into production. There's also the cost of that especially given there are so few cars on the road. Give it a few months.

5 DOT 0 said:
What are you looking for? Mechanically the cars are virtually identical with only cosmetic changes plus SYNC and the new dash.

CAI

Long tube headers

Cat back

90MM Throttle body

Larger injectors

I'll use my EFI Live or HP Tuners to tune the car. I have a Motec wideband that I'll install to help me tune under real load on the street instead of on the dyno.

Wanted to TT the car. TTI is still doing R&D so I'll stay NA instead of boosting.

5 DOT 0 said:
All of those items for the 2012 Boss (or 2011+ GT 5.0 for that matter) will bolt right up to yours.

Great!

I'll call ARH for my headers and Borla for my cat back. From what I see Steeda (Sp?) for the CAI. Ford performance offers a 90MM throttle body and larger injectors.

jersey jay said:
5 DOT 0 said:
All of those items for the 2012 Boss (or 2011+ GT 5.0 for that matter) will bolt right up to yours.

Great!

I'll call ARH for my headers and Borla for my cat back. From what I see Steeda (Sp?) for the CAI. Ford performance offers a 90MM throttle body and larger injectors.
Going to hit the drag strip?

5 DOT 0 said:
jersey jay said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Great!

Going to hit the drag strip?

I live life a 1/4 mile at a time. If I want to run the twisties NJ Motor Park is about an hour from my house. Monticello is about 2.5 hours, Lime Rock is about 5 hours. I'll try the twisties once but I don't know what sort of heat soak I'll after after the mods. It's tough comming out of my modded Vettes but as I've said before I'll never buy another GM product again after the bailout.

jersey jay said:
5 DOT 0 said:

CAI

Long tube headers

Cat back

90MM Throttle body

Larger injectors

I'll use my EFI Live or HP Tuners to tune the car. I have a Motec wideband that I'll install to help me tune under real load on the street instead of on the dyno.

Wanted to TT the car. TTI is still doing R&D so I'll stay NA instead of boosting.

I'm not so sure all this is a good idea. Ford has done a great job with these engines and spent millions to get it "just right" and maximize the 5.0. For example the CAI. Ford's solution, as it says, is a CAI just not exposed to the heat of the engine. On the track, even with the hood vents and the light caps off, is going to get pretty hot! Most of the aftermarket CAI are for "looks" and don't properly seal or have any ability to avoid sucking in the VERY warm engine compartment air. Because of that you can actually see a HP reduction rather than the promised 2-5HP increase. So my advice is be VERY VERY careful with this great engine. Ford has REALLY done a GREAT job with it.

If you intend to track the car then your better investment is in something like progressive brakes and suspension tweaks. The car already has MORE THAN ENOUGH horsepower for the track. I was in a loaner SCCA Spec Mustang 4.3L GT this past weekend at Thunderhill and it was an awesome car. It easily overtook cars with far more hp because it was modified where it mattered on a twisty track.

Never mind issues with your tune and and all where again you'll have to work out how all this effects the white and red key tunes.

I don't mean to insult you that you aren't aware of these things and know how to get around them but for others maybe not so technical engine changes to the Boss should be carefully considered and only after you've addressed break and suspension opportunities.

IMHO!

Good luck!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
for headers I would go with the kooks and there h-pipe for the boss as it allows you to keep the side pipes.
http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_KO_HPipeBossCat.shtml

JeffIsHereToo said:
jersey jay said:
5 DOT 0 said:

CAI

Long tube headers

Cat back

90MM Throttle body

Larger injectors

I'm not so sure all this is a good idea. Ford has done a great job with these engines and spent millions to get it "just right" and maximize the 5.0. For example the CAI. Ford's solution, as it says, is a CAI just not exposed to the heat of the engine. On the track, even with the hood vents and the light caps off, is going to get pretty hot! Most of the aftermarket CAI are for "looks" and don't properly seal or have any ability to avoid sucking in the VERY warm engine compartment air. Because of that you can actually see a HP reduction rather than the promised 2-5HP increase. So my advice is be VERY VERY careful with this great engine. Ford has REALLY done a GREAT job with it.

If you intend to track the car then your better investment is in something like progressive brakes and suspension tweaks. The car already has MORE THAN ENOUGH horsepower for the track. I was in a loaner SCCA Spec Mustang 4.3L GT this past weekend at Thunderhill and it was an awesome car. It easily overtook cars with far more hp because it was modified where it mattered on a twisty track.

Never mind issues with your tune and and all where again you'll have to work out how all this effects the white and red key tunes.

I don't mean to insult you that you aren't aware of these things and know how to get around them but for others maybe not so technical engine changes to the Boss should be carefully considered and only after you've addressed break and suspension opportunities.

IMHO!

Good luck!

But he lives life 1/4 mile at a time ;D So he is looking for drag strip performance.

CAI is partially for "bling" and partially for increased intake noise. Often some of the sound can be done using a high-flow filter. I would like a little more growl actually just for fun but haven't looked into it. I wouldn't think a hi flow filter would be good for any noticeable hp in an NA car though.

boss2511 said:
CAI is just for bling......only if it is a no tune required....a big steeda CAI will make power with a tune vs just a tune alone.

In their perfect cold air tests I'm sure it did, real world on a hot track after a few laps, I'm not so sure those numbers hold up.

IMHO!

Justin

JeffIsHereToo said:
boss2511 said:
CAI is just for bling......only if it is a no tune required....a big steeda CAI will make power with a tune vs just a tune alone.

In their perfect cold air tests I'm sure it did, real world on a hot track after a few laps, I'm not so sure those numbers hold up.

IMHO!
well in drag racing and in the world I live in they give me constant extra hp on every other mustang I have ever owned. and I have lots of friends with 11-12' mustang GTs that also have gained real world hp and have the time slips to prove it. the steeda box nearly seals it self off from the engine bay and still has air pushed into it from behind the grille.

boss2511 said:
JeffIsHereToo said:
boss2511 said:

IMHO!
well in drag racing and in the world I live in they give me constant extra hp on every other mustang I have ever owned. and I have lots of friends with 11-12' mustang GTs that also have gained real world hp and have the time slips to prove it. the steeda box nearly seals it self off from the engine bay and still has air pushed into it from behind the grille.

I had their CAI in my 07 so I'll trust your opinion that they've improved it then!

Good luck!

Justin

JeffIsHereToo said:
boss2511 said:
JeffIsHereToo said:
boss2511 said:

IMHO!

I had their CAI in my 07 so I'll trust your opinion that they've improved it then!

Good luck!
Just read the 2013 cobra jet break down and low and behold running a bigger Maf did increase HP. Which all CAI that require a tune do increase MAF size. And they too on the Cobra jet run the same style cone filter with a block off as almost all other CAI on the market. and all other CJ's in the past run similar style CAI make big power. So I find it offense for you to say there is no merit in a well engineered CAI will make power even in a racing environment as you have no proof other than old hear say from CAI intakes of old or some "engineer" that you know that had nothing to do with the design of the intake of the new mustangs. which in turn steers new mustang owners away from the truth. that a well designed kit like a steeda kit does indeed make power in all conditions (they race cars more than you do and have direct info from ford)

So in summation stop being in the mind set of my old people that CAI are just BS cause while some are like on ebay specials, companys like steeda and c&l have done their homework and put there cars on the track where it counts and would not put there name on something that makes no power.

I'm a former owner of an import shop. We did mainly forced induction. I've owned many muscle cars that I've modded. Along with owing some foreign ones as well. The only import I owned was my daughters Celica 2000 GTS which I put a turbo on. It was very tough putting the power to the ground in a FWD car.

My 67 427/435 Vette was stock.
The 2003 Vette I had put a Magnacharger on which I hated as it was too much low end grunt. I then stroked the motor and did all forged internals with twin turbos. The car was a beast. the only issue was the newer Vettes have IRS. Very tough to put the power down to the ground unless you back half the car which I didn't want to do. The 2009 ZO6 was left bone stock with the exception of coil overs and sways.

If I didn't dislike the low end grunt of a SC I would have bought a Cobra.

My intent was to put twins on the Boss. From some reseach the motor is bullet proof as the internals are forged. Only issue is the CR is a tad high to run high boost levels. From the research I done the tranny and rear are the weak links for high HP. I did notice they are now offering an aftermarket tranny but nothing for the rear. I could cryo the rear which would solve that issue.

My intent isn't to run the twisties, just go run the 1/4 from time to time.

I plan on doing the Steeda CAI, American racing Headers, 90MM throtle body and a Borla cat back. I'll have to get it on the dynojet 248 to do a base run. If I run out of fuel I can run an MSD Boost A Pump or larger injectors. I'll the strret tune the car with the software I have with an onboard data loger along with a wideband to watch the AFR.

From what I've heard Ford has a very conservative tune in the car so they've left some power on the table just to be safe.

My intent is to put the car into the low 10's on slicks. I'll have to see if the stock suspension will be able to put the power to the ground. Shooting for somewhere in the range of 500-525 SAE RWHP.

I'll put up a dyno of before and after along with some 1/4 times.

I need to break the motor in first.

Justin

jersey jay said:
I'm a former owner of an import shop. We did mainly forced induction. I've owned many muscle cars that I've modded. Along with owing some foreign ones as well. The only import I owned was my daughters Celica 2000 GTS which I put a turbo on. It was very tough putting the power to the ground in a FWD car.

The 2003 Vette I had put a Magnacharger on which I hated as it was too much low end grunt. I then stroked the motor and did all forged internals with twin turbos. The car was a beast. the only issue was the newer Vettes have IRS. Very tough to put the power down to the ground unless you back half the car which I didn't want to do. The 2009 ZO6 was left bone stock with the exception of coil overs and sways.

My intent was to put twins on the Boss. From some reseach the motor is bullet proof as the internals are forged. Only issue is the CR is a tad high to run high boost levels. From the research I done the tranny and rear are the weak links for high HP. I did notice they are now offering an aftermarket tranny but nothing for the rear. I could cryo the rear which would solve that issue.

I plan on doing the Steeda CAI, American racing Headers, 90MM throtle body and a Borla cat back. I'll have to get it on the dynojet 248 to do a base run. If I run out of fuel I can run an MSD Boost A Pump or larger injectors. I'll the strret tune the car with the software I have with an onboard data loger along with a wideband to watch the AFR.

From what I've heard Ford has a very conservative tune in the car so they've left some power on the table just to be safe.

My intent is to put the car into the low 10's on slicks. I'll have to see if the stock suspension will be able to put the power to the ground. Shooting for somewhere in the range of 500-525 SAE RWHP.

one of the most educated men here wait for the flak as it will come. JPC is at the forefront of NA power on these engines worth a look.........they removed the stock induction in favor or "BLING" so beware they maybe full or hokum and gypsy magic

boss2511 said:
jersey jay said:

one of the most educated men here wait for the flak as it will come. JPC is at the forefront of NA power on these engines worth a look.........they removed the stock induction in favor or "BLING" so beware they maybe full or hokum and gypsy magic

Just checked their site out. I can source parts through my own connections.

If need be I'll have Total Engine Airflow do a set of custom heads. Cams I'll go to Comp and have them do a custom grind.

I'll run to Downs ford in the AM as their 20 minutes from my home. I'm told their big time into Ford racing aftermarket. I pick up a service manual as I want to see what the internals of the motor are made of. I also want to pick their brains. Keep in mind I'm a former die hard GM person.

Thanks for the heads up on JPC.

boss2511 said:
JeffIsHereToo said:
boss2511 said:
JeffIsHereToo said:
boss2511 said:

IMHO!

Good luck!
Just read the 2013 cobra jet break down and low and behold running a bigger Maf did increase HP. Which all CAI that require a tune do increase MAF size. And they too on the Cobra jet run the same style cone filter with a block off as almost all other CAI on the market. and all other CJ's in the past run similar style CAI make big power. So I find it offense for you to say there is no merit in a well engineered CAI will make power even in a racing environment as you have no proof other than old hear say from CAI intakes of old or some "engineer" that you know that had nothing to do with the design of the intake of the new mustangs. which in turn steers new mustang owners away from the truth. that a well designed kit like a steeda kit does indeed make power in all conditions (they race cars more than you do and have direct info from ford)

So in summation stop being in the mind set of my old people that CAI are just BS cause while some are like on ebay specials, companys like steeda and c&l have done their homework and put there cars on the track where it counts and would not put there name on something that makes no power.

Huh? What did I say to get this? I simply said that I had their CAI on my 07 (didn't seal at all and was not even close) and that I trusted your judgement that the ones offered now are better. Then I wished you good luck with your mods!

So..what was wrong with that?

TMO Supporting Vendors