The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 BOSS 302 - Grabber Blue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Based on where the marbles and bugs ended up last week, the leading edge of the hood seems like it would be a good place to have clear bra

The local clear bra guy who does all the fancy pancy cars (he has done full car wraps in clear and colors an a few friends' various GT labeled Porsches) will not put it over vinyl graphics. And if you do just the front of the hood, it will look ugly with the seam imo. Maybe doing the whole hood but leaving a cut out for the vinyl would work, or having the vinyl taken off and the black painted on (what I was considering) would work. Or just leave it, touch up as needed, and down the road you can always repaint it for about the cost of the clear bra full coverage.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
CaliMR said:
The local clear bra guy who does all the fancy pancy cars (he has done full car wraps in clear and colors an a few friends' various GT labeled Porsches) will not put it over vinyl graphics. And if you do just the front of the hood, it will look ugly with the seam imo. Maybe doing the whole hood but leaving a cut out for the vinyl would work, or having the vinyl taken off and the black painted on (what I was considering) would work. Or just leave it, touch up as needed, and down the road you can always repaint it for about the cost of the clear bra full coverage.

Cali,

For what it's worth, after I read your post I went to 3M's (Clear Bra) website. Here is a reference to their website's FAQ:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Resources/FAQs/

They indicate here that installing Clear Bra over vinyl graphics is OK. Just need to be careful if you ever decide to take it off.

MMD

it will make the stripes glossy. I think?

I mean they have matte clear bra but that will make a glossy car matte. Clear bra is glossy so if you put it over the stripes (which are matte or satin) they will be glossy. at least that is what my brain is telling me right now.

Dvendet

Jeff said:

I mean they have matte clear bra but that will make a glossy car matte. Clear bra is glossy so if you put it over the stripes (which are matte or satin) they will be glossy. at least that is what my brain is telling me right now.

Jeff,

I try not to think that hard. It hurt's to figure that one out. Anyway, regardless how it looks, these Clear Bra films are near bullet proof. The Army uses this film on the leading edge on helicopters blades to protect from wear and tear. BTW - the tips of helicopter blade can travel near Mach 1 which is over 550+ miles per hour. A Boss hitting a bug at 155 MPH will not be a problem. I personally think getting a clear bra install, if you can afford it, is a no brainer. That's why I like.

MMD

Jeff said:

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be applied over graphics?
A. The clear film will not interfere with vinyl or painted graphics and is designed to match the gloss levels of today's automotive factory clearcoat paint systems, providing virtually invisible protection. However, if the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is removed, damage may occur to the underlying graphic during the removal process.

Regardless what it states I would not place Clear Bra over the stripes. The guy that installed mine said it would most likely remove the decals when you removed the Clear Bra. Mine is cut around the hood decal.

MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:

Cali,

For what it's worth, after I read your post I went to 3M's (Clear Bra) website. Here is a reference to their website's FAQ:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Resources/FAQs/

They indicate here that installing Clear Bra over vinyl graphics is OK. Just need to be careful if you ever decide to take it off.

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
Regardless what it states I would not place Clear Bra over the stripes. The guy that installed mine said it would most likely remove the decals when you removed the Clear Bra. Mine is cut around the hood decal.

MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:

Cali,

MMD
how much is it to buy and have installed? and where would one go to have this done?

It can be a few grand if you have the whole car done. Depends where you live and who you have do it. I think my friend spent 7k on his last one, but it was a matte grey full wrap on a GT2RS and included new stickers on top of the wrap and tint over the stickers and all the bells and whistles.

Dvendet

boss2511 said:
how much is it to buy and have installed? and where would one go to have this done?

BOSS2511
Take a look to find local installer:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Support/Where_to_Buy/

As you would expect, prices will vary where you go. Ask yourself, do I really not want to protect my vehicle and wind up having to repaint the vehicle in 3-4 years? What would this cost? Would it look as good as new once repainted? I believe clear bra is a great way to go. Check in with a few installers and see what they want. Price will also depend on how extensive you want to go. Do you want to do the whole car? ... or just the basic areas like the hood area, mirrors, fascia, and around the wheels? Locally I got a quote about $600 for all the basics. My dealer is going to add doing inside the exterior door handles and the lower rockers too. Additionally he said he would throw window tinting also. In my humble opinion, this treatment is like have insurance on your car's exterior.

MMD

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:

BOSS2511
Take a look to find local installer:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard_Paint_Protection/Film/Support/Where_to_Buy/

As you would expect, prices will vary where you go. Ask yourself, do I really not want to protect my vehicle and wind up having to repaint the vehicle in 3-4 years? What would this cost? Would it look as good as new once repainted? I believe clear bra is a great way to go. Check in with a few installers and see what they want. Price will also depend on how extensive you want to go. Do you want to do the whole car? ... or just the basic areas like the hood area, mirrors, fascia, and around the wheels? Locally I got a quote about $600 for all the basics. My dealer is going to add doing inside the exterior door handles and the lower rockers too. Additionally he said he would throw window tinting also. In my humble opinion, this treatment is like have insurance on your car's exterior.

MMD
I just want to get the trouble spots. hood front bumper etc. I do want to get the windows tinted as well. I think I will end up going with a $0 deductible on the car and wait till a bunch of spots appear and get them taken care off but I dont know just depends on what i get for quote and how well those bras can get a shine on them

Dvendet

boss2511 said:
I just want to get the trouble spots. hood front bumper etc. I do want to get the windows tinted as well. I think I will end up going with a $0 deductible on the car and wait till a bunch of spots appear and get them taken care off but I dont know just depends on what i get for quote and how well those bras can get a shine on them

You definately will not be disappointed with the shine. You should be aware that polishing (or applying any abrasives) should not be used.

MMD

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:

You definately will not be disappointed with the shine. You should be aware that polishing (or applying any abrasives) should not be used.

MMD
yeah I know. the zaino is working great on the factory vinyl so it should work good on the clear bra. Does the bra have a orange peel like the factory decals? can anyone take a low angle shot this will show the paint finish with the bra?

Dvendet

boss2511 said:
MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:

MMD
yeah I know. the zaino is working great on the factory vinyl so it should work good on the clear bra. Does the bra have a orange peel like the factory decals? can anyone take a low angle shot this will show the paint finish with the bra?

No. The bra Itself does not have any texture to it similar to what you described for the decals. You really got to get right on top of the car to notice the bra and all you really notice is just the fine seam. I'll track down a photo and I'll pass it along. It will be difficult to find a photo of the bra where you can actually discern the presence of the bra.

MMD

Upload them to something like Photobucket then post the code, you can't upload them to the forum directly.

This shows how: https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/a-tip-for-reading-boss-mustangs-online/

If you get full coverage, it is hard to tell unless you look at the edges. They may be able to wrap it around the edges for extra cost, like the colored vinyl wraps, I don't know for sure. If you do partial, you can see the seams across the body panels. It is pretty obvious, at least with every film I have seen.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I want the tail lights and rear panel covered w/clear bra as you know these will be scratch city. Just takes some bozo in a parking lot to brush by it with a bag or pocket book... I will not put the clear bra up on the hood to cover the stripes, I don't need the hassle when washing and waxing. The car will be driven, so a chip or scratch is bound to happen eventually, so I'm not gonna sweat it. Take reasonable measures to protect it as best you can and then *enjoy the hell out of it* !!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel