The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302 Hood Vents for a 2012?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I really want these vents on my 2012 hood. There must be a way to add them and since the hood is made of aluminum that might make it easier to recess the vents like the 2013. Has anyone ever done something like this?

2013-mustang-045.jpg

These vents are functional on the 2013, right? Hard to tell if the holes are actually open in the photos.

jimprw said:
These vents are functional on the 2013, right? Hard to tell if the holes are actually open in the photos.
Yep. From the press release:

Similar to the redesigned base Mustang lineup, the front end offers a more powerful design with a more prominent grille. A more powerful splitter and functional hood extractors add to that look. Boss Mustang has new signature lighting, with standard HID headlamps and LED-surround taillamps.

The 2013 Boss also offers a unique functional design feature in the grille with removable covers where fog lamps would be. For improved cooling on track days, the covers can be easily removed with a screwdriver.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/14/4054900/ford-mustang-boss-302-back-with.html#ixzz1dtMtw62p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I really would like a way to evacuate the heat from the engine bay and keep an OEM hood............

Cut a hole in it :)

To install those vents in our 2012 hoods would require the bracing underneath cut out as there is not an opening long enough for those vents. It will be interesting to see if these are available separately, as the GT 500's vents are. If they fit without too much altering of the bracing underneath, they would probably work. The lip of the vent would just stick up above the hood. It would not need to be recessed like the 2013.

06mach1 said:
To install those vents in our 2012 hoods would require the bracing underneath cut out as there is not an opening long enough for those vents. It will be interesting to see if these are available separately, as the GT 500's vents are. If they fit without too much altering of the bracing underneath, they would probably work. The lip of the vent would just stick up above the hood. It would not need to be recessed like the 2013.
I saw your post on TMS. My thought is anything can be done it's just a matter of how much do you want to spend. ;) There's a local shop that does restamod work and they should be able to do this including recessing the vents. Hopefully you can safely cut away some of the bracing and I'd add hood pins for added security. The big questions are if and when the vents will be available and if there is enough room to add the vents to the existing hood.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Found these last night, might be an option.

http://hoerr-racing-products.amazonwebstore.com/Genesis-Carbon-Fiber-Hood-Louver-Narrow/M/B000W7K59W.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

Peter

Thanks for the link Peter.

Last night I cut out some paper templates of the approximate dimensions of the new vents to see if they would fit on the 2012 hood and it looks like they would fit on the hood bulge. Two questions are is the hood contour the same and is there clearance for the strut brace underneath. I might purchase a set when the vents become available next Spring and see if they can be mounted. Overheating shouldn't be much of a problem during Winter for must of us so there is no hurry.

You guys are thinking way too hard here........

Order a complete 2013 hood and have it painted..... :eek:

After you either put all the time into it yourself or have it done I bet you will be almost equal itself out....

adam81 said:

After you either put all the time into it yourself or have it done I bet you will be almost equal itself out....

I wished it was that easy. I don't think it will look quite right! Wait and see if the vents are available seperatly, I quess?

5 DOT 0 said:
adam81 said:

You need to think a little harder. ;) Let us know when you figure it out.

You got me.... A few to many tonight.... I get it. Damn micro brewery and phone internet.... But still, easy answer..... Tiger racing hood..... You really shouldn't be worried aboutt a few rain drops... Ford isn't....

adam81 said:
You got me.... A few to many tonight.... I get it. Damn micro brewery and phone internet.... But still, easy answer..... Tiger racing hood..... You really shouldn't be worried aboutt a few rain drops... Ford isn't....
No worries. I wish I could just order that hood and have it painted. The TR hood is an obvious choice but I'm not sure I want it on a car that will be mostly driven on the street. It sure looks cool though.

5 DOT 0 said:
No worries. I wish I could just order that hood and have it painted. The TR hood is an obvious choice but I'm not sure I want it on a car that will be mostly driven on the street. It sure looks cool though.

It looks awesome when done right.

There's a guy on either this forum or mustange source with a Kona BOSS who did the Tiger hood in a KB/black/white scheme that looks amazing.

I can't seem to find the pics, but I'm guessing you already know which car I'm talking about.

I would think the curvature of the hood between 2012 and 2013 would be the limiting factor, especially since the "power dome" is gone in 2013.

TMO Supporting Vendors