The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302 - oil change procedure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Austin
Hi, I just recently purchased a 2013 boss 302 this past weekend and will be doing all fluids to make sure that I have a good starting point. The trans and rear differential seem pretty straight forward as far as what needs to happen, I am more curious on what needs to happen for the engine oil change.
1. is there a specific procedure on changing the oil in the boss? Or is it just a typical drain replace oil filter and fill type of deal.
2. I have run motul in the past and was planning on doing the same here, any thoughts?

I appreciate any responses & hope to catch y’all at the track!

8789A709-7A36-47BC-BA5E-7AA174FBA57A.jpeg

Nothing unusual about the oil change. If you have the trans cooler scoop its need to be removed first unless you like it messy. I use Mobil 1 5w50 or Motorcraft 5w 50 when I cant find Mobil. 5W50 was not easy to come buy other than Ford dealers Motorcraft which was made by Conoco Phillips although several brands are available now.

Napa just had mobil on sale for 5.95/qt it may still be on sale. Filters I have only used Motorcraft/Ford Racing or Mobil 1 on occasion

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
One minor point on servicing the transmission, remove fill plug first, then drain plug, especially if trans is warm.
First reason is you don't want to dump the oil only to find out you can't get the fill plug out.
Second reason, and I don't know if this is unique to my car but......... seems my trans was under a little pressure when I removed the plug, yes my trans was up to temp and yes the trans emptied very rapidly, about .5 seconds, a bit of a mess, including me.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Austin
Nothing unusual about the oil change. If you have the trans cooler scoop its need to be removed first unless you like it messy. I use Mobil 1 5w50 or Motorcraft 5w 50 when I cant find Mobil. 5W50 was not easy to come buy other than Ford dealers Motorcraft which was made by Conoco Phillips although several brands are available now.

Napa just had mobil on sale for 5.95/qt it may still be on sale. Filters I have only used Motorcraft/Ford Racing or Mobil 1 on occasion
Good to know it’s not different & thanks for the tip, they were out at our NAPA, but grabbed motorcraft.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Austin
One minor point on servicing the transmission, remove fill plug first, then drain plug, especially if trans is warm.
First reason is you don't want to dump the oil only to find out you can't get the fill plug out.
Second reason, and I don't know if this is unique to my car but......... seems my trans was under a little pressure when I removed the plug, yes my trans was up to temp and yes the trans emptied very rapidly, about .5 seconds, a bit of a mess, including me.
Have had 80-90 down my arm many times too lol, 10-4 will remove the fill 1st. I appreciate the tip!

TMO Supporting Vendors