The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302R brakes point to upgrade path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
After thinking about this more I find it hard to believe they are using off the shelf 2013 GT500 front calipers on the race cars. I don't think they will hold a thick enough pad to last a two hour race. We need more info on this.

From here:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2379/pfc-scores-win-at-daytona-with-johnson-and-roush-jr.aspx

Roush Racing’s No. 61 Ford Mustang Boss 302R GT was equipped with Performance Friction ZERO DRAGTM ZR54 calipers, ZRated® race discs, and Carbon Metallic® brake pads.

Pretty much the whole PFC package.

They are running a race 4 piston Brembo caliper. Different than the one used in the 14" Boss 302R/S brake kit.

mwilson7 said:
They are running a race 4 piston Brembo caliper. Different than the one used in the 14" Boss 302R/S brake kit.

Well somebody had to ask for the rule change allowing the GT500 kit. Or, do I just have this all wrong?

bigfoot_shelbybrakes.jpg

Sesshomurai

My guess is its this kit, which is on my acquisition list. Dean said this kit will fit under the 302r/s 18" wheels.

http://www.rehagenracingproducts.com/REHAGEN-RACING-BREMBO-MONSTER-BRAKE-KIT-S197-MUSTANG-RRBREXA2E7KIT.htm

Developed for the rigors of endurance road racing. With a 25mm thick brake pad, you'll have the brakes to go the distance. This kit is well matched to the Mustang braking system. (Kit is shown with standard 48 vane rotors)
4-Piston GT Calipers
38mm x 42mm pistons
Lightwieght and rigid
2-piece aluminum body
130mm radial mount centers with 62mm offset
355mm disc diameter
Fits under production Shelby GT500 wheel

images

The kit listed above is only 355mm. The new spec is 380mm and is based iff the size of the GT-500 rotors. It is a full race kit and shares nothing except for the diameter of the rotor with the street GT500 6 piston kit.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
NFSBOSS said:
Mark are the race cars using the 13.8 rotors on the rear? How much of an improvement is this new package compared to last years?

Some of the cars were using the GT500 rears, some where still running the stock GT/olderGT500 gear in the back.

Mark's comments about the fronts matches what my pictures showed. Those kits were definitely race oriented kits as they have been in the past, nothing production looking about them.

NFSBOSS said:
I watched the telecast the other day and the announcer mentioned the new brake package and Jack Roush's crash at LS last season. He didn't mention which brake package but did state there is a weight penalty applied to the cars for using them.

3360 vs. 3315, so +45 lbs. for using the new package formerly known as Prince the GT500 brakes.

Zquez said:
hah you are just dead set on them using the GT500 brakes aren't you? :p

Nope. I was just calling them what the rules call them. ;)

Now that we know they aren't the GT500 brakes, I would suggest "2013 302R optional brakes." Luckily, the thread title and subject remain valid.

Who knows why Grand-Am call these GT500 brakes? Maybe they assigned an arbitrary designation, not realizing that GT500 is actually a fairly well known Mustang model designation. ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel