The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302R brakes point to upgrade path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

nz05gt said:
best 25k ever spent on a race car
boss with sequential sounds fantastic and makes the boss engine perform the way it should
Ratio's are
1st 2.571
2nd 1.986
3rd 1.608
4th 1.351
5th 1.138
6th 1.00
3.73 rear gears

Is that a holinger RD6?

nz05gt said:
best 25k ever spent on a race car
boss with sequential sounds fantastic and makes the boss engine perform the way it should
Ratio's are
1st 2.571
2nd 1.986
3rd 1.608
4th 1.351
5th 1.138
6th 1.00
3.73 rear gears

My thing moved. :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
no "drop gears" but can easily change ratio's if needed
all the tracks we go to in New Zealand work with this gear set. The only track I would change for is Bathurst in Australia aand I would just go to a 3.5 Rear ratio.
We are racing again on the 9th march I will try to get some vidio then

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Awesome, I look forward to it! Yeah with the 75-7800 redline you can run around 160mph in 6th with those ratios on a 3.73. She must pull really hard with all those gears available!

nz05gt said:
I made the brake hats and caliper mounts and brought the calipers and rotors from A.P.rcing
Pads are PF01
That is some fancy machine work indeed! Great job. I have been looking for a better rear brake setup than the stock caliper. I currently use the PF big brake kit upgrade with PF brake pads, but the rear calipers just don't cut it. The front brembos are just great. Those rear rotors are the ticket. Did you have a machine shop make the hats and mounts and do they make more?

The rear brake hats I would sugest getting your local machine shop to make some up to suit your Caliper setup ie PF brake package on the front do the PF rear package that goes with it. Doing 1 offs like I have gets pricey.

I had to make new Rear Caliper mounts to as the STD ones flexed 1/4" under severe load

I agree the front brembo's are great calipers But I fitted them to R32 GTR Skyline as I have the same Front A.P. Calipers on the Boss as I have on all 4 corners of our 05GT

Bell housing is the short 170mm deep T56 housing with Hollingers longest Quill imput shaft and they cast the centre housing

Just so you all know why I changed out the stock 302s brakes
There is nothing wrong with the stock set up but all my Races are at least 3hrs long so I needed more rear pad's , changing the STD rears is not easy during a race
If I was only doing 1 or 2 hr races I probably would have stayed with the stock 302s caliper set up or maybe gone with the new Boss 302r upgrade kit
Mark Wilson and all his crew have and still are doing a fantastic job with the Boss
Cheers Mark and Thanks :)

Sesshomurai

nz05gt said:
Just so you all know why I changed out the stock 302s brakes
There is nothing wrong with the stock set up but all my Races are at least 3hrs long so I needed more rear pad's , changing the STD rears is not easy during a race
If I was only doing 1 or 2 hr races I probably would have stayed with the stock 302s caliper set up or maybe gone with the new Boss 302r upgrade kit
Mark Wilson and all his crew have and still are doing a fantastic job with the Boss
Cheers Mark and Thanks :)

I assume you race grand am then? Cool and thanks for the info here. Very helpful.

And we're back! I talked to the Brembo Racing guy at the COTA Grand-Am this weekend and he told me a couple of interesting things. First of all, the new upgrade brake caliper is a brand new part, so it isn't in the 2012 catalog that is online at the moment. He told me that it's main benefit is pad size and area, not the ability to run a 15" rotor. In fact, he said that the new caliper was designed to run the 15" OR 14" rotor. Whoa.

DSC_0105.jpg

I think it is interesting that the caliper has both the "quick change" pad retainer and also the bolt-in brace. I guess the bolt-in can be optional for when a mid-race pad-change isn't anticipated (2 hour races, instead of longer races)?

Sesshomurai

Jimmy Pribble said:
And we're back! I talked to the Brembo Racing guy at the COTA Grand-Am this weekend and he told me a couple of interesting things. First of all, the new upgrade brake caliper is a brand new part, so it isn't in the 2012 catalog that is online at the moment. He told me that it's main benefit is pad size and area, not the ability to run a 15" rotor. In fact, he said that the new caliper was designed to run the 15" OR 14" rotor. Whoa.

DSC_0105.jpg

I think it is interesting that the caliper has both the "quick change" pad retainer and also the bolt-in brace. I guess the bolt-in can be optional for when a mid-race pad-change isn't anticipated (2 hour races, instead of longer races)?

That looks more like a race caliper with the unpainted anodized surface (like we have stock actually). The GT500 painted calipers that have been speculated on, are most certainly for street. These are 6pot or 4? As a race caliper I'd expect them to be bootless and use airated (possible titanium) pistons, etc.

DGRacing said:
That looks more like a race caliper with the unpainted anodized surface (like we have stock actually). The GT500 painted calipers that have been speculated on, are most certainly for street. These are 6pot or 4? As a race caliper I'd expect them to be bootless and use airated (possible titanium) pistons, etc.

Yes, sir. We established on Page 2 that the upgrade is, in fact, a 4-pot race caliper. They are called GT500 brakes in the Grand-Am rules, but the only thing they have in common with those brakes is the manufacturer. I wasn't able to ask the Brembo guy any more questions, but I expect they will eventually have a 2013 catalog available that will fill-in the blanks.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Great job on the research. Those are 4 piston, still don't understand why the rules refer to GT 500 brakes and how there are "no dimensional variations allowed". Any way I am glad the Mustangs got a little help as the rules makers went out of their way to let the Porsche win last year. Also please don't post race results in this thread, I want to watch next week without knowing who won.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors