The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss 302R brakes point to upgrade path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was watching an interview with the Roush Boss 302R racers and one of them mentioned the importance of a new brake package allowed in the 2013 rules, which has enabled the car to be much more competitive. For a split second, you can see the new brakes in the video. OHAI huge rear brakes!

GT500brakes_on_Boss302R.jpg

So, I checked-out the 2013 Grand-Am rule book. Oh, hullo:

Permitted replacement components
11. Permitted 2013 GT500 brake package, (Front calipers P/N XB10511LH, P/N XB 10512RH; disc 09852874LH, 09852874LH, 09852878RH; rear rotor DR3Z-2C026). Teams that opt to use this package are not permitted dimensional tolerances or front caliper upgrade. Must be used in combination with Bosch ABS controller, Minimum weight 3360.

So, there you have it. The driver called the brakes the weakest part of the Mustang and Mark Wilson said as much to me last year. Here is the upgrade path. Start checking your local pick-and-pull. ;)

I know the idea of using these brakes has come up in other threads, but I look at this rule change (which has to come from lobbying by the teams and/or Ford Racing) as an endorsement of this package as an improvement. The driver seemed to think so. Oh, and they won this weekend. With this kind of endorsement, there will be at least a few people who will try it out, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread ready and waiting for it.

Jimmy

Ok you're in charge of getting to the bottom of this in March.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BMO member CaptDistraction was out there at the 24 taking all kinds of pictures, I asked him specifically to get some good photos of the new brake packages on the 302R cars. After he sorts through his 8K+ photos from the weekend he will probably share the brake stuff here.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I already have a stock of 19" Pirelli slicks on order for this change. Plan on running the 15" brake package on the intense braking courses and the 14" Brembos on my speedway/less intense braking tracks. At least until I eat up my 4 sets of 18" tires ::)
Steve

Awesome upgrade but new wheels too?? Hmm, well I'll be anxious to hear about it as you guys pull the trigger, just don't look for me to be the first off the cliff on this one. The cost might be enough to get my 2015 Mustang shot down by the Boss ::)

cloud9 said:
Awesome upgrade but new wheels too?? Hmm, well I'll be anxious to hear about it as you guys pull the trigger, just don't look for me to be the first off the cliff on this one. The cost might be enough to get my 2015 Mustang shot down by the Boss ::)
If the BBS wheels fit, and I was told they do fit over 2013 GT500 six piston calipers, there's a good chance the Enkei's fit too. I'd verify this with Ford Racing before making a purchase. The race cars are running 18's unless they changed the spec for 2013.

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
If the BBS wheels fit, and I was told they do, there's a good chance the Enkei's fit too. The race cars are running 18's unless they changed the spec for 2013.

Well that's good to know! Was about to pull the trigger on a brembo GranTurismo brake system upgrade, but might pause until this new system is released. Any idea when it might hit the market and who will sell it?

darreng505 said:
Well that's good to know! Was about to pull the trigger on a brembo GranTurismo brake system upgrade, but might pause until this new system is released. Any idea when it might hit the market and who will sell it?
I have no idea. Let me clarify I was told the BBS wheels fit over the 2013 GT500 six piston calipers. Not sure what the race cars are running but again they probably have 18" wheels. The Enkei PF01's have a lot of clearance so they might fit as well.

NFSBOSS said:
If the BBS wheels fit, and I was told they do fit over 2013 GT500 six piston calipers, there's a good chance the Enkei's fit too. I'd verify this with Ford Racing before making a purchase. The race cars are running 18's unless they changed the spec for 2013.
Oh ok good. More interested now but haven't seen the price yet....I'm guessing on the restaurant scale it's a $$$$$$. ;)

cloud9 said:
Hmm, well I'll be anxious to hear about it as you guys pull the trigger, just don't look for me to be the first off the cliff on this one.

Please ;D I will follow your lead on this one like the rest of the site. For now I will save money by burning off $300 pads at each track event with our smaller brakes ::) although the new PFC 08 compound has been working very well so far. Having burned out two calipers now I will be watching all this stuff closely. Going to spend my dollars right now on the Exedy clutch, T56/6060 and exhaust.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
They didn't. Looks like a lot of the teams are now using the Forgeline GA1-R wheels in 18x10, which indicates that those will clear the brakes (Barrel and spokes)

TMO Supporting Vendors