The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss: is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright guys I need some more advice, tell me if this happens to any of you too. I have a 2013 Boss, all stock and no tune. Any time I disconnect the battery and start the car for the first time after, it starts out fine but then after a few seconds the idle starts fluctuating, the engine sounds like it's cammed, and the exhaust starts popping loudly. It feels like the engine is bogging down and going to die, and I have to give it a little gas and it stabilizes. Also, when I let the car sit for a week and start it up again, I have to keep my foot on the clutch until it transitions from its cold idle to warm idle, otherwise the same thing happens. Is this considered normal for these cars, or is it an indication that something is failing? I'm wondering if it is connected to the P219A code I popped last week. Thanks for any help

Sometimes after a cold start with the non-track key, the idle is high (1300-1500 rpm) and after I back out of the garage and am sitting there, the idle drops really low for a second like the engine is about to die, but then levels out and idles normally. (650 rpm) I don't have to touch the gas. No exhaust popping though.

Well is it normal for an 02 sensor to go out so early? And would there be any other symptoms? The exhaust popping is very pronounced, I'm thinking it's probably not normal. And Byronj, definitely not the battery. It's been happening for some time, and I actually just put in a brand new oem battery because the old one died. Still does the same exact thing.

Emissions warranty has you covered. Just take this into the dealer and they can take care of it. They may ask you to approve 1 hr of diagnostic but this will be waived if its confirmed to be emissions related. O2 sensors and exhaust parts related to emissions (catalytic converters) are covered for 5 years or 50,000 miles miles. By the way, no codes are or should be considered normal. Always look into the root cause to ensure everything is in working order.

The last time I had a P219A and P219B I found a leak in the cold air intake. The car also had idle problems similar to what you describe.

Their are a number of things that can cause a fuel imbalance to include intake leaks, faulty PCV, and exhaust leaks.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Arabbit:

How did you make out with this? Here are a few things to consider: Your PCM Code last week you stated: "I'm wondering if it is connected to the P219A code I popped last week. What fixed this? As I get the impression there are no PCM codes presented this week.

What is the mileage of your 2013 Boss?

After you reconnect the battery, Did you go through the Netrual Idle Position Relearn procedure as found in your Mustang Owners Manual? (Found in the Battery section.)

If your problem continues, check all Intake connections for possible leaks. Pull your PCV Valve and shake it, it should rattle.

If you suspect an emissions component failure, take it to the Dealer as Big Taco suggested as the Federal Emmissions Warranty for all vehicles sold in the US have a 7/70 Emmissions warranty.

Good luck and please keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro:

I appreciate the follow up. I don't have any new info yet though. Originally when I popped the code, I was running an Airaid CF intake with the venturi tube installed (no tune). I've run this intake for 4 years on two different Bosses and never had trouble. But to rule it out, I removed it and put the stock intake back on. I reset the battery and did the idle relearn, but I haven't driven it much since. Hoping to drive a lot this weekend and see if the code comes back. If I can't get it to come back, I may put the airaid back on and see if that was the cause. I don't think it is though, because this weird first idle happens on both intakes, and I'm starting to think that it may be connected to that code.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel