The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss Mustang Alcantara Steering Wheel(DR3Z-3600-AA)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is the wheel for the track pack equipped cars.....LOVE the Alcantara wheels!!

Install TIME!!
Steer003-XL.jpg

Steer004-XL.jpg

SOO nice!!
Steer006-XL.jpg

Installation: **probably a good idea to go ahead and disconnect the battery cable before install**
Remove the 2 caps from the side of steering wheel

Steer010-XL.jpg

Steer011-XL.jpg

Then remove the 8mm bolts from each side
Steer013-XL.jpg

Steer014-XL.jpg

Gently remove the airbag assembly
Steer015-XL.jpg

Remove the Black and Grey connectors from the air bag assembly
Steer016-XL.jpg

Set air bag assembly aside
Steer017-XL.jpg

Disconnect the black plug
Steer018-XL.jpg

Remove the 24mm bolt from steering column
Steer024-XL.jpg

Steer025-XL.jpg

Gently remove steering wheel
Steer026-XL.jpg

The new wheel comes fully assembled with wiring harness and everything!!
Steer030-XL.jpg

Attach new steering wheel
Steer033-XL.jpg

Connect Black plug
Steer034-XL.jpg

Torque 24mm nut to 45ftlbs
Steer036-XL.jpg

Reattach air bag/plugs....black to black and grey to grey
Steer037-XL.jpg

Gently slide the air bag assembly back into place, making sure holes are aligned....if you are really good you wont even honk the horn and scare the $hit out of yourself :)
Steer038-XL.jpg

Steer039-XL.jpg

Install the 8mm bolts, and caps
Steer013-XL.jpg

Steer010-XL.jpg

and now the fun part....removing the protective film!!! :rockon:
Steer040-XL.jpg

MLM

Mike
Nice write up! That 24 mm bolt is one use, I had to buy a pack of four but they were only a few bucks each. I know some people reuse the bolt, I suppose it's OK but I wouldn't re-torque it any more than once.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
roadhouse said:
Great write-up! Nice to see another GT here :)

I was debating on whether or not to post here, but there is so much good info, and I figure I have installed just about all of the Boss parts on my car anyway, so was hoping it was cool with everyone.

Tulsa, OK
j3st3r said:
I was debating on whether or not to post here, but there is so much good info, and I figure I have installed just about all of the Boss parts on my car anyway, so was hoping it was cool with everyone.

Yeah there are a few of us on here. I felt the same way... too much good info to pass up, especially if you're tracking your car.

j3st3r said:
No worries here, everyone is welcome. And nice job with the install instructions.

j3st3r said:
More than cool to post here, welcome and great writeup. I know some GTs that have been modded to be faster than some modded bosses ::)

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
cloud9 said:
More than cool to post here, welcome and great writeup. I know some GTs that have been modded to be faster than some modded bosses ::)

Thanks! Yeah I had that experience the first time I took this car to the Memphis track. I got hooked up with a 2012 Boss Laguna Seca, and he was running R-compounds. I am uploading those videos now, will have to post them in new thread!

Good writeup. One important safety item to note:

When working with airbags, it is extremely important to never place the bag (or wheel with bag installed), face down on the ground or benches. If the bag were to go off it would go flying with its housing and the wheel.

TMO Supporting Vendors