The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 boss power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have just recently traded a 2012 for a 2013 but have found that my 12 seemed to be way more responsive power wise than the 13 . The 12 had 700 miles the 13 has 300 miles will this ever get better.
Phil

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558
I don't have an answer but was just curious, why did you trade a 2012 for a 2013? Not my money but that must have been alot of $$$$ diff?

Having never driven the 12 I can't really compare. It doesn't seem right though as both cars have identical engines, drive train and suspension. I was under the assumption that the only difference between a 12 and a 13 was cosmetic and the track apps.

To answer your question the 12 cost me 41,000.00 and they gave me 40,000.00 so when it was all done it cost me around 6500.00 or so and i got the new dash appts a better looking hood and i really like that ghig color and the new stripes.
Phil

Sesshomurai

I think they say new motors/drivetrains need up to 1000 miles to get broken in properly. Could be why.
Do the 13's weigh more?

Did the dealer disconnect the battery before you took delivery? The "valet mode" that's in the ecm for the first few starts and miles may still be activated.

The engines are broken in from the factory and the valet mode is gone by now. The Grand Am GS and SCCA WC teams are asking the same question. ;)

I haven't even seen a 13 here in Jersey yet. I leve in central an go north Jersey all the time - matter of fact i don't remember seeing a 12 sept min :)

I would love to drive one just cause i love the hood so much which i why im gonna get that tiger hood by the end of the summer ! that would be total tits for me :)

5 DOT 0 said:
The engines are broken in from the factory and the valet mode is gone by now. The Grand Am GS and SCCA WC teams are asking the same question. ;)
Really?? I wonder if they had to dial back on the timing or increase the fuel at WOT? I know the S & R cars have different tunes, but I think the differences were moslty emissions related.

BLAZN BOSS

5 DOT 0 said:
How do they accomplish engine breakin at the factory?

I would just guess that since ford had so many problems with the track key maybe someone looked at the 2013 and made a detune a touch to pass inspection? They should be the same except the 2013 has a different front end that may weigh more?

Maybe it runs a lot richer, which would explain the lower fuel economy rating.

I'm joking. It might just be in your head, like when I first got the Boss I thought it handled like a boat in the hills until I went back and drove my truck through the same area. Your butt dyno may just need readjusting as it is remembering the old car a little optimistically.

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Really?? I wonder if they had to dial back on the timing or increase the fuel at WOT? I know the S & R cars have different tunes, but I think the differences were moslty emissions related.
I was kidding. ;) ;) ;)

The engines aren't completely broken in from the factory but other than sustained high RPM's or constant RPM's there's no reason to baby the engine. Just like what's stated in the manual. The engines are capable of making full power the moment you drive them off of the lot.

I have about 1300 miles on my 2012 and it feels slower than it did when I bought it back in April. I used to get it sideways going into 2nd at WOT, now I just get a little chirp.

I'm guessing it's partly because I'm getting used to the power (I'd been out of fast cars for 10 years prior) and partly because it's been 90-100+ degrees here lately versus 60's and 70's back in April. Can't wait for the decent weather to return.

Sesshomurai

Rich_S said:
I have about 1300 miles on my 2012 and it feels slower than it did when I bought it back in April. I used to get it sideways going into 2nd at WOT, now I just get a little chirp.

I'm guessing it's partly because I'm getting used to the power (I'd been out of fast cars for 10 years prior) and partly because it's been 90-100+ degrees here lately versus 60's and 70's back in April. Can't wait for the decent weather to return.

You're getting better traction....which means your lateral g's should be higher...

I never drove the 12 only saw one in jersey where I am but my 13 feels fast I cheerp all the way threw 4th I love it. The boss is the best mustang I ever drove my bro has Shelby, I used to own a Mach 1 sold it for my new boss, my little bro has a c6 corvette which his car is so much fun too toy with I love smoking the vette hehe

I got my BOSS on Friday the 13th (it rained all day long), so it was just put it in the trailer and take out when I got home and straight into the garage. Yesterday I took it out for its maiden voyage, 16.5 miles on the odometer. First thing I took it down to my Performance shop, removed the exhaust plates (man what a sound difference!), then installed the MRT 70's style Rear Louvers. Then off to a cruise-in (largest in the area) and then to the Fuel Station to feed her (Dealer didn't fill it up but gave me $50 cash for the first tank).

I did noticed the car seemed to be low on power, but its hard to gauge since my other mustang is just a V6. After hitting the 50 mile mark it did seem to wake up a bit, I haven't really "Got on it", since I am trying to break it in slowly, but varied my speed and RPM and what gear I was in while driving. Since I was driving in the city, at some stops I would start in 1st gear, others I would start in 2nd gear, and even once I did it in 3rd gear just to see if that was even possible, (No problem with that btw).

45 MPH speed limit through the city streets, so I varied my speed from 35 to 50. Sometimes I would leave it in 3rd gear and ride it at 3K RPM, and others I would shift to 4th and even went down to 5th one time, to just vary the RPM's, shifting, speed, etc. I was a little worried at first running it a 3K RPM for extended periods of time, but 3K is a far cry from WOT and 7K RPM, so it should be ok.

No highway miles, yet, but mainly due to the rain we have had the past few days.

The dealer said its was taken out of "Transport Mode", but since I did notice more power after the 50 mile mark I don't think he was correct. Either way it seems to be waking up with each mile I put on it, and I am enjoying the hell out of this car!

Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with my Boss the day I drove it home. I was thinking maybe I should have gotten a 5.0 with the track pack and modded it. But now with 300 miles on the Boss, I'm quite impressed. Maybe mine was still in transport mode, I don't know. But now that I've had the opportunity to let it all hang out a couple of times here lately, I've realized how balanced and planted this car is, especially considering that the chassis it's based on is somewhat antiquated. Unlike my tweaked GT500, which was a brutal car, the Boss is more subtle. It's a scalpel compared to the Shelby's machete. I think it takes some time behind the wheel of a Boss to fully understand what you're driving. I'm lovin' mine now!

As far as power output from 2012 to 2013, it may be a matter of each individual car being different. No two cars are exactly the same.

CrashTex

Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow
Mine had 7 miles on it when I bought it, and had insane power. Now, 3k miles later, it still has insane power. Until this thread, I wasn't aware of a transport mode, or valet mode, but I still fondly recall spinning the back tires at 60 mph on the way home from the dealership.....

While now, a few months later, I'm getting accustomed to the power, she still once in a while reminds me to respect her.

TMO Supporting Vendors