The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Boss Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All,

Having read all the great press the Boss 302 has received the past year or so, I am thinking about it being my next car.

Just three questions:

1. Is MY 2013 the last year for the car?

2. How do you get one at MSRP? Order it? All the ones on the lots here (San Antonio, TX) have markups from 5 to 10K over sticker, or the dealers add lots of padding to inflate the price (window etching, nitrogen in tires, etc.).

3. How is the red key purchased? I don't see it as an option on the website or the printed brochure.

Thanks in advance!

1 Yes 2013 is last year
2 tell dealer you will only pay MSRP if that does not work shop around. you can find one but you may have to travel
3 key comes with car, you have to purchase software from Ford Racing and have dealer install it. (flash PCM)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
As mentioned above, 2013 is the last year, 3250 regular and 750 LS (approx total) built in 2012 & 2013.

Some good reading here regarding MSRP;

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/for-all-of-you-boss-owners-who-paid-msrp-or-less/

Trackey;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/

A friendly word of advice, when shopping around for your Boss, find out if the service dept from the dealership you eventually buy one from has ever done the install before. If they haven't they can run into problems and end up taking a lot of time to get it done. It's a really cool feature, yet some owners who are wanting to purchase aftermarket tunes with cold air intake setup will skip the Trackey, and it's usually one or the other (Trackey or after market tune) not both. There's a thread on here where Justin has managed to get a tune working and still retain his Trackey, but he seems to be a 'special case'. ;D

Good luck on your search.

F18SMM: Thanks for answering my questions! It helps alot. I'm glad I didn't wait until next year to start getting serious.

jeepinocala: I'm in San Antonio.

ace72ace: Grateful for your input as well, especially about the track key. Love your avatar. I'm looking for a race red Boss too.

My search begins...

I purchased my 2013 GHIG boss at msrp from Jordan ford in San Antonio.Ask for the new car manager and tell him that the guy who bought the Ghig boss in Austin sent you.Oh by the way thay have a 2012 yellow blaze in excellent condition that has 700 miles that I traded in.
Phil

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
F18SMM said:
1 Yes 2013 is last year
2 tell dealer you will only pay MSRP if that does not work shop around. you can find one but you may have to travel
3 key comes with car, you have to purchase software from Ford Racing and have dealer install it. (flash PCM)

This...

The key to MSRP or below is just research and a little bit of work. I was searching for about two months and finally found a dealer that would do just a hair under MSRP (the dealers in my area STILL don't believe me). Also...work only with either the Internet Manager, Fleet Manager, or Sales manager. When you eliminate the sales guy from the process (i.e. no commission to pay out) you have more leverage.

Just to confirm my Boss LS came with one gray key and one red key, programming was part of the purchase once the "code" comes in for the software.

shlby500 said:
Just to confirm my Boss LS came with one gray key and one red key, programming was part of the purchase once the "code" comes in for the software.

That was a deal between you and your dealer. The Red Key software programming is not included with the price of the car. Don't want to see people get confused. There are already too many that think the fact they have the red key means it's installed to begin with.

true the program is a separate transaction after car is titled. I'm just making sure i am not short one key, at trackey.ford.com I believe the web site is they show a picture that looks like a total of 3 keys. My dealer was a little disorganized with prep of car so just want to confirm total of 2 keys one of each. My Shelby last year came with 2 identical keys. Looks like ford only allows one red key to be programmed at a time , wouldn't mind having an extra key so that may have to be the regular key.

shlby500 said:
true the program is a separate transaction after car is titled. I'm just making sure i am not short one key, at trackey.ford.com I believe the web site is they show a picture that looks like a total of 3 keys. My dealer was a little disorganized with prep of car so just want to confirm total of 2 keys one of each. My Shelby last year came with 2 identical keys. Looks like ford only allows one red key to be programmed at a time , wouldn't mind having an extra key so that may have to be the regular key.
The 2012's came with two keys, one silver and one red, so the 2013's are probably the same. Without TK installed they both work identical. You can buy another key and program it yourself for normal driving. Not sure if you can program a second TK but I suppose it's possible.

Yeah the '13 comes with 1 silver and 1 red. Though some dealerships think you need to purchase a whole new key in order to get TK they are mistaken. My dealership was trying to get me to go that route before I decided to to FI.

My trackey install was included in the price of the car here in Edmonton. The instructions that came with the install says you can program another Trackey but it will disable the old key as only one trackey can be programed to the car at any given time.
Hope this helps. By the way OP just buy the car you will not regret it and you can always ask questions after the fact. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors