The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 BOSS TRACKEY AVAILABLE MAY 1!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone have a suggestion, I had my track key installed today, and I see absolutely no indication of it at all. It is a 2013. No trackey notification in the center lcd.

I know they couldn't have done more than one other in the last year and they called me no more than an hour and a half after I droped it off, and said it was done. ?????

where do the 13's verify "track key in use" ?

I'm pretty sure I'll be calling FORD tomorrow.

thanks all

It should have an indication in the LCD, and when the hot idle comes on you will hear it. It is possible the install failed and they didn't realize it. You are using the red key right?

Yes, and thanks for the quick reply. I flipped every page on the lcd, track key didn't show up any place. The idle didn't change, sound or rpm. didn't drive any different . The only thing I can think of, is I have only 250 miles on it. It may not trigger until later.

I'm glad I made the deal that the key was included in the msrp. If I had paid the 400 plus, I would have been peed.

thanks again for the reply

john

If it is like the 12, and I'm pretty sure it is, then when you start the car it will come up when you start the car and sound a tone. I have to hit the Reset button to clear it, so I can use the little screen. Then it does the same thing when the idle comes on.

Try all your keys to see if one does it. If not, bring it back and have them reinstall it. Strange they would let it go without confirming it worked. My dealer had me test it while I was there, but maybe they don't know it is supposed to do it if it was their first one.

Here is the PDF, 2nd page shows the message on both years. You should have gotten a printed copy of this in the packet with the activation codes.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

When the car is started with the TracKey, the message center in the instrument cluster
will display "TRACKEY ACTIVE TRACK USE ONLY" as shown below:
2012 2013

At this point all TracKey features are enabled with the exception of lopey idle. The
message is persistent, which means it will remain on the message center until the
"RESET" button (2012) or "OK" button (2013) is pressed.

O k, I took it back today, I told them this time I'm staying there and waiting. They did screw the pooch. They used an obsolete ver. 1.3. I downloaded ver 2.0 before I left for the shop and some how it works now. Amazing how it turns out when you use the right stuff. It now works Perfectly!! Idle and all. As far as I'm concerned, it made a monster out of a beast. It sounds as good or better than my 65 2+2 289 high po did in 67!! WOW!!

Thanks for the input.

john

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
The Tousley Ford (I think that is the one, you can search Amazon) can order it for you online, at a discount. The package is just some paperwork with a code on it. The concern would be whether your dealer will be able to install it correctly. A lot of the dealers have had issues with the first install because they don't have the computer updates or are trying to use a firewalled wifi connection (iirc that was the issue). Any dealer should be able to do it, but call around your area and ask the service writers if they have done one before. Also make sure they are cool about installing it if you ordered it somewhere else, I have seen dealers do that with other products (though not with the TK).
+1 I ordered mine from them labor plus voucher was just a little more than what some people have paid for just the voucher

Justin

and for you 13 guys (and 12) here is how you verify it was installed correctly this is pulled from the dealer instructions.

38) Start the engine and wait at least 30 seconds. On 2012 vehicles, hit the "OFF"
button on the left side of the steering wheel, followed by the "RESUME" button
within 2 seconds. On 2013 vehicles, hit the "RSM" button twice within 1
second. The green speed control indicator on the cluster should blink
continuously twice per second. Press "RESUME" or "RSM" again and green
light should go out. If this does not happen, consult the Troubleshooting
section.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
boss2511 said:
and for you 13 guys (and 12) here is how you verify it was installed correctly this is pulled from the dealer instructions.

38) Start the engine and wait at least 30 seconds. On 2012 vehicles, hit the "OFF"
button on the left side of the steering wheel, followed by the "RESUME" button
within 2 seconds. On 2013 vehicles, hit the "RSM" button twice within 1
second. The green speed control indicator on the cluster should blink
continuously twice per second. Press "RESUME" or "RSM" again and green
light should go out. If this does not happen, consult the Troubleshooting
section.
[/quoteI
Great post Justin! I'll keep this post locked in the memory bank. Well...at least I'll try. I'm starting to run low on RAM memory!

MMD

askjeffro said:
'13's get a 30HP bump and a working lopey idle.

That's interesting. I've been debating between the trackey and a Steeda tune with an air fllter. Steeda claims 40 hp. I'd be happy with 30 hp plus all the extra features of trackey. As I understand it, the 12 tune gave no extra HP.

Justin

seca954 said:
That's interesting. I've been debating between the trackey and a Steeda tune with an air fllter. Steeda claims 40 hp. I'd be happy with 30 hp plus all the extra features of trackey. As I understand it, the 12 tune gave no extra HP.
trackey gives you no hp gain.....I soon will have both the trackey and a steeda CAI and there tune. keep an eye out for my opinion on the two.

He was joking. ;)

seca954 said:
askjeffro said:

5 DOT 0 said:
He was joking. ;)

seca954 said:
askjeffro said:

Indeed. ;D

Is there any truth to the information that FR is developing a Track Only Trackkey. The design for 2012 provided HP gains and other changes that would not pass the CARB test. The delay with the 2012 key was caused by this and many items were removed or changed. Many in the know say do not buy the 2013 yet. That a Trackkey is being developed for off road use only, like other parts that are sold by FR.

BEARTRACKS said:
Is there any truth to the information that FR is developing a Track Only Trackkey. The design for 2012 provided HP gains and other changes that would not pass the CARB test. The delay with the 2012 key was caused by this and many items were removed or changed. Many in the know say do not buy the 2013 yet. That a Trackkey is being developed for off road use only, like other parts that are sold by FR.
Where did you hear this? That's the first I've heard of this and I doubt there's another TK tune coming. I don't think your info on why it was delayed is accurate. The original TK is designed for off road use only and the dash readout states so.

My Dealer's shop unable to successfully install trackey. they first tried their usual laptop with windows 7 got all the way down instructions to point of flashing car with the downloaded file. error 20. Ford Racing support said gotta use windows xp computer which is specified on the 2.1 instructions for 2013 car but not on 2.0 version. Who still runs windows xp and why is ford using it when I imagine all the other stuff ford uses is windows 7? They were using wired internet. By the time they got an xp laptop updated with the other ford software b4 trackey ford racing support closed for weekend. but they didn't get as far as they did with windows 7 laptop they couldn't read the car's pcu which is an early step before they put in activation code and download the file. They have sold 4 bosses in the 2 years but no trackey. The place is where I bought the car and the install was part of the purchase so I'll give them another try thou they are a 40 mile round trip. I'll will call ford racing myself to see if they can come up with an idea.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Sounds exactly what I went through with my experience with my dealer who could not get Trackey installed the first 2 attempts. Their service dept had to call in their IT guy and get on the phone with Ford Racing for hours to go over the Internet Explorer settings step by step. There are specific security updates required for specific versions of IE, etc, and if everything isn't just right, it will fail. That's why I have urged everyone whenever possible to just go to a dealer who has already done it, and you won't have any problems.

The fact you indicated that this was already included with the car when you bought it has you stuck with them. The best thing they can do is give you a loaner, and see if they will talk to a few other service dept managers on what they should check. I can't believe that Ford Service doesn't have their own intranet where they could post a FAQ on all the things you need to check on their computer before attempting this procedure.

Good Luck!

shlby500 said:
My Dealer's shop unable to successfully install trackey. they first tried their usual laptop with windows 7 got all the way down instructions to point of flashing car with the downloaded file. error 20. Ford Racing support said gotta use windows xp computer which is specified on the 2.1 instructions for 2013 car but not on 2.0 version. Who still runs windows xp and why is ford using it when I imagine all the other stuff ford uses is windows 7? They were using wired internet. By the time they got an xp laptop updated with the other ford software b4 trackey ford racing support closed for weekend. but they didn't get as far as they did with windows 7 laptop they couldn't read the car's pcu which is an early step before they put in activation code and download the file. They have sold 4 bosses in the 2 years but no trackey. The place is where I bought the car and the install was part of the purchase so I'll give them another try thou they are a 40 mile round trip. I'll will call ford racing myself to see if they can come up with an idea.

Happened to me, too. Second TK flash attempt my dealer's service dept finally got it done, but only after almost 4 hours of futzing around, including the dealer's IT person finding an old XP laptop, then loading it with the right Ford software to enable the flash process. FR didn't make the TK flash simple and easy, apparently.

I don't know why Ford doesn't just use the Procal handheld for Track Key like for all their other tunes.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel