The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 BOSS TRACKEY AVAILABLE MAY 1!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Yippppeeeeeeeee!!!!! Ford racing has announced that Trac Key for the "2013" Boss will be available on May 1! See announcement here boys and girls:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13484

MMD

I wouldn't think making payments on it should matter. A parts department has no way of checking or verifying that information so I'd say not. I hope I'm right, I want one.

no you can buy track key when ever you want. I can't get my dealer to order mine until I actually take delivery so it won't be there the day my car is delivered.

You might be able to order it online before delivery if you really want to, the kit is just some papers with a code on them. But they overnight it when you order it (at least mine was) so you can have it the day after you pick it up. Might want to wait until it has a hundred miles on it anyways, though they will install it without any miles. Honestly you probably won't really appreciate the change unless you have driven it a bit with the regular key.

Dvendet

1BadBoss said:
Is there something different about the track key for the 13's, because the track key has been available for awhile now.
Yes - Trac Key for 2013 and 2012 are different. You cannot install the 2012 software on the 2013 Boss! Like I originally posted up, Ford Racing will have the "new" Trac Key available on May 1. I have spoken with Ford Racing over the past month about this issue.

MMD

Have they said if the actual code is different, so has different performance, or is it just that it is locked to only go on one year for CARB reasons?

Dvendet

CaliMR said:
Have they said if the actual code is different, so has different performance, or is it just that it is locked to only go on one year for CARB reasons?
Don't know for certain Cali. Just heard idle speculation it may have something to do with the track apps being available on the 13. Maybe someone will chime in who knows more about this.

MMD

Can a non-SVT Dealer order the program? My Dealer said he can't get it because he is not an SVT Dealer and does not have access to Ford Racing Products. Anyone get the program from a regular Ford Dealer?

Ralph

The Tousley Ford (I think that is the one, you can search Amazon) can order it for you online, at a discount. The package is just some paperwork with a code on it. The concern would be whether your dealer will be able to install it correctly. A lot of the dealers have had issues with the first install because they don't have the computer updates or are trying to use a firewalled wifi connection (iirc that was the issue). Any dealer should be able to do it, but call around your area and ask the service writers if they have done one before. Also make sure they are cool about installing it if you ordered it somewhere else, I have seen dealers do that with other products (though not with the TK).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
RoushF150 said:
Can a non-SVT Dealer order the program? My Dealer said he can't get it because he is not an SVT Dealer and does not have access to Ford Racing Products. Anyone get the program from a regular Ford Dealer?

Ralph

Ralph

I had my Track Key installed by a none SVT dealer. I have known the technician for years. His comments. 1. The computer at the dealer installing the TK will need to be hard wired int the internet, issues with the download speeds. 2. Simple process once the proper connection to ford is made, see above. Once set up the TK cam be loaded in about 20 minutes.

Enjoy your Boss with TK. I refer to the silver/black key as the spare.

TheMarco said:
Am I correct that you can only install TrackKey when you've paid for the car in full? (e.g. you're not making payments anymore)
That's the way I understand it, unless something has changed. I had it installed on my 2012 but I don't use it much because I haven't tracked my car yet, just play with it now and then. It's not that impressive on the street but it's still fun during a spirited drive on the back roads.

TMO Supporting Vendors