The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 boss wrong rear bumper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a strange issue. It was just pointed out to me that my 2013 boss has the wrong rear bumper/diffuser installed. I bought the car brand new, and never noticed this. What can I do to resolve this, and has this happened to anyone else?

Here's a pic of my bumper https://www.flickr.com/photos/99038646@N08/9329482467/

Thanks.

Could have been damaged at the dealership and this was a cheaper item for the repair, I've seen this. Than again you could have a one of one 2013, I would be under the car with a magnifying glass as a precaution!

My bet it was damaged in transit and they took it off and nobody caught it. That's a big oops to get past QC.

Since they have to replace it, take advantage and get the GT500 quad valence and exhaust!

Darth Boss said:
Since they have to replace it, take advantage and get the GT500 quad valence and exhaust!
This! ;D

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Get it repaired and sell the existing one. What number is this one? My guess is that the factory didn't do this.

John

I've seen this type of thing also, but never at my dealerships because I would have caught it ;)

Lot damage occurs all the time, chances are it was backed into while being parked on the lot and they needed to replace it. Either their parts dept guys were lazy to look up the correct info to get the correct part, were told the wrong info and the dealer let it slip through, or the dealer was VERY lazy and cheap and did a quickie fix.

There's no value to be added by this whatsoever in the future. Get it documented, get it replaced. And post on yelp that the dealer missed such an obvious thing. These types of dealers are shameful...

Additionally, and this is an important thing, have the dealer pay for you to have the car inspected by a body shop of your choice. I think that you have all the right to be curious if your car was ever crashed before delivery to you. These are the types of things dealers are supposed to disclose (if the damage is over a certain amount etc etc). small lot damage if it was barely dented, or scraped etc wouldn't be reported as the damage is so minimal.

If your dealer gives you the run around, contact the FORD customer hotline and complain. Unfortunately, I think only the original dealer that sold you the car can help you. But please don't let something like this go

Thanks everyone. I emailed Ford via their website, but I have to figure out if this needs to be handled through the dealer.

The only issue is I bought the car in Maryland, and I live in NY. It would not be convenient for me to drive 300+ miles back to the dealer I bought it from to get this replaced. I am going to inspect the car around the rear bumper area to see if I can see any signs of damage.

I had the car listed for sale, but I don't feel right selling it until I figure out what happened to the car to have this issue with the rear valence.

Where in NY are you from?

If you don't really get an answer from Ford you can hop on to themustangsource and look for Desha, she is the Ford Customer Service Rep there and should be able to get this prioritized and processed ASAP.

Common mistake by the factory. Once I found a 89 GT with one GT seat and one LX seat installed. The worst was a 2012 GT with Pirelli summer tires on the left and all seasons on the right side. That had to be a handful to drive. I'd leave it as is, great story and now you have 1 of 1.

MA
There's no value to be added by this whatsoever in the future. Get it documented, get it replaced. And post on yelp that the dealer missed such an obvious thing. These types of dealers are shameful...

I think you are being a little harsh, I mean it is very possible that there was damage and all that, and maybe there was dishonesty with them replacing the bumper, but I'm sure if that was the case it would be in the service records of the dealership. Say there was damage, and they didn't disclose it to the owner,....There would still have to be a repair order written, parts would have had to have been ordered, labor for paint/and installation, all would be on record. To take it further, either the parts department would have looked up the wrong part (unlikely with today's VIN driven catalogs) or the dealership would have had to make a decision to either use a bumper for a base model (or whatever it was from) or swap it with a different vehicle on the lot. As far as calling it an obvious thing that shouldn't have been missed and it being "shameful" is a bit strong. I'm not sure a flat rate tech doing the PDI would notice that the proper bumper cover was installed, or would know enough about a specific part on the vehicle to question it. Anything is possible, I have seen the wrong door trim panels on a single side of a Flex (tan interior, passenger side door panels black) Lincoln scuff plate on an F150, all from the factory. If you have ever seen megafactories mustang or how its made, you see the assembly line worker grab the next cover in the rack and slap it on, just like they have been doing the rest of the shift. I would think that is more likely than a systematic attempt to cover something up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel