The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Faux Gas Cap Emblem Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, I got my rear emblem from Emblem Pros in today and me and Justin installed it tonight. It's quite a bit more involved than the '12's so I figured I'd do a write up for those who are interested.

First thing you have to do on the 13's is take off the rear deck lid panel. Surprisingly it's not double sided taped on, just two screws on the back side of it accessible from the back side of the trunk(torx bit) and then 12 plastic clips that you have to pop out with a long screwdriver as you peel back the panel.

yBcPeWW.jpg

Then you have to remove the emblem from the black plastic deck lid. If you heat it up, tap on the plastic tabs sticking out of the back and it will just pry out of the deck lid.

zSau8ML.jpg

Now for the harder part. On the 12's the black insert with the horse on it will separate from the chrome housing. NOT THE CASE on the 13's. The horse is molded into the chrome housing so this is where it gets very DIY.

You need to Dremel out the horse part while leaving enough of a lip for the new emblem to latch onto.

845nCzu.jpg
uSGkVBp.jpg
XJZTeg1.jpg

After that you can clean up the cut with a sanding wheel. IPA wipe down everything and apply adhesion promoter to the chrome part where the new emblem will go. Peel off the tape on the back of the emblem and line it up. Once you put it down with the promoter on, it will NOT MOVE. Wherever you stick it, it's staying for good. Mine is a little low, as is Justin's, but it's not very noticeable.

va6hAW7.jpg

You then need to reattach the chrome housing to the black plastic deck lid panel. It will no longer clip in place since you cut off the horse part that has the clips. You can use the supplied double sided tape and the adhesion promoter to place it back on nicely.

62hNjav.jpg

kcvJlaY.jpg

Back on the car, like it should have came with.

The deck lid will just clip right back in and you screw the two torx bits back in.

Jx4n4qS.jpg

Can anyone confirm if something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-CALIFORNIA-SPECIAL-FAUX-GAS-CAP-2013-FORD-MUSTANG-DR3Z-6342528-E-/230870449834?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item35c0f37eaa&vxp=mtr would work as it is just going to get drilled out anyway and I can't seem to find one with the Pony on it to sacrifice. Appreciate the input.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
azazell64 said:
Can anyone confirm if something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-OEM-CALIFORNIA-SPECIAL-FAUX-GAS-CAP-2013-FORD-MUSTANG-DR3Z-6342528-E-/230870449834?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item35c0f37eaa&vxp=mtr would work as it is just going to get drilled out anyway and I can't seem to find one with the Pony on it to sacrifice. Appreciate the input.
yes it looks to be correct to me

Thanks Justin, I've got a feeler out on this one as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-EMBLEM-AR3Z-6342528-A-/160731559425 as I saw on another forum where the guy made template as to where to drill and just drilled the holes out rather than cutting the entire center out.

Justin

azazell64 said:
Thanks Justin, I've got a feeler out on this one as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-EMBLEM-AR3Z-6342528-A-/160731559425 as I saw on another forum where the guy made template as to where to drill and just drilled the holes out rather than cutting the entire center out.
that only works for the 10-12's the 13+'s wont work that way. I have done both

So if you were to guess between the two badges I had posted above, the only real benefit to either is the cost? Other than that you don't foresee any other hiccups?

Justin

azazell64 said:
So if you were to guess between the two badges I had posted above, the only real benefit to either is the cost? Other than that you don't foresee any other hiccups?
I cant tell from the second ones pic if its the correct one or not. the first one will work. but like I said they are all the same GT, V6, CS pick the cheapest one. you can always call tasca directly to verify that it will indeed work to be 100% sure.

I've sent them off an email already attempting to confirm fitment on my car, just awaiting a reply back from them. Thanks again Justin for the input.

Well, the story I have received is that the Boss faux cap only comes attached with the black header panel. I don't know if this cap will still work or if there is in fact a variance between the above caps and the Boss.

That may be true when purchasing through a dealer, but the ebay one seems to be a take-off. But don't quote me on anything, I haven't disassembled one yet.

Alright, with a little impatience, I heated up the black plastic tabs, separated the Ford part from the surround, a little more heating and the pony and came out, now I'm left with a 2012 Style badge that should just stick on using the double sided tape as stated by the OP. I guess I'll find out later tonight when I get a minnute.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel