The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 GHIG Boss sells at 2016 Barret Jackson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I agree the seller got a good price. What are BJ's fees?

I saw yesterday a 1980 Pontiac Trams AM sell for 100K! It had less than 750 miles on it, but still.......money better spent on a NEW GT350 (R). BJ auctions are for collectors with money to burn, not for road driving enthusiasts...JMO....... :)

VoodooBOSS said:
So the owner sold it for less than he paid. And never drive it. What a waste.

And maybe the trend will continue with the GT350 for those waiting to buy someone else's garage queen after the new owner become bored with their expensive car they never drive.

In the end, I just have never looked at my cars as investments in anything other than my happiness. My car has low miles for no other reason than it is not a daily driver and I do have a bit of OCD in terms of keeping my car pristine. Never every have I worried about getting back what I put into it or what I paid for it. If that was my end game, I would be big time into real estate (in terms of investing money).

I have to say, I'm a bit irked about all of the rocks being thrown from the cheap seats with regards to Boss values. Who cares? To what point? To let the air out of someone's balloon? Man, miss me with that crap. What's the next post going to be? Is it going to be someone telling a story about how they went visit an orphanage to tell the kids that there is no Santa

Why am I rambling?; oh, I need caffeine. :eek:

302BOB said:
I went to the orphanage and told the kids Hillary and Trump were running for president. They said they would rather believe in Santa........sorry for the politics... :p

Haha!!

Barrett-Jackson usually has some interesting cars in the first day or so. Clean examples of what I would call driveway /garage restorations done by real people with a budget. Not those over restored over priced stuff you see on Fri-Sat-Sun. when the high rollers show up. Late model low mile examples like the Boss show up on occasion. We don't know what the orig. owner paid for the car, but I don't think he lost much if anything.

Boss's could be an investment, but you would have to keep it 20+ years and never use it. ??? Not what I intend to do but even when I do sell it it will always be worth more than just another used V8 Mustang to those who know.

k98dave said:
Boss's could be an investment, but you would have to keep it 20+ years and never use it.

And a poor investment at that under most circumstances. For investment purposes, buying shares in a S&P 500 index fund will give you a much better return on investment.

I looked up the numbers back in 2012 for the 1969 BOSS 302 purchase price and found if it were invested in the US stock market, the value would have grown to $250K +, still North of a very, very low mileage, all numbers matching, original paint pristine vintage BOSS 302 typically sold on the weekend days at BJ.

Just Drive It!

Or if you were Lucky, you could have purchased a less desirable at the time, BOSS 429. And be way ahead.
I think it's pretty safe to say. Anyone that Purchased or Purchases a Modern day BOSS 302. Keeps it 5 years, uses & abuses it, will find that 5 years down the road, when you combine the fun factor, and whatever money you manage to sell it for. you made out.

Cherno134 said:
And a poor investment at that under most circumstances. For investment purposes, buying shares in a S&P 500 index fund will give you a much better return on investment.

I looked up the numbers back in 2012 for the 1969 BOSS 302 purchase price and found if it were invested in the US stock market, the value would have grown to $250K +, still North of a very, very low mileage, all numbers matching, original paint pristine vintage BOSS 302 typically sold on the weekend days at BJ.

Just Drive It!

Agreed, but I'm still kicking myself for not spending 8500 bucks on a 1965 289 Cobra that was available to me in 1973. I had just got married and talked my self out of it as that was like 6 months pay back then.
Now that would have been an impressive ROI, provided I didn't kill myself in it I guess

GT390 said:
Or if you were Lucky, you could have purchased a less desirable at the time, BOSS 429. And be way ahead.
I think it's pretty safe to say. Anyone that Purchased or Purchases a Modern day BOSS 302. Keeps it 5 years, uses & abuses it, will find that 5 years down the road, when you combine the fun factor, and whatever money you manage to sell it for. you made out.

In 1979, right out of high school, a friend bought a '70 Boss 429 that was in pretty nice shape, but it didn't have the original Boss 429 engine in it, it had a built regular 429. We all thought he was crazy to pay that kind of money for a car with an engine out of a Galaxie.

Oh yeah, he paid $4000 for it. That *was* a boatload of money for a car like that at the time.

Another friend the same summer had a '70 Boss 302 that was not in quite as nice shape, but it had a strong running, original engine in it. $1500 seemed like a better deal!

k98dave said:
Agreed, but I'm still kicking myself for not spending 8500 bucks on a 1965 289 Cobra that was available to me in 1973. I had just got married and talked my self out of it as that was like 6 months pay back then.
Now that would have been an impressive ROI, provided I didn't kill myself in it I guess

And I am still kicking myself for about two dozen cars I passed on in my lifetime. The worst were the matched pair of '69's I saw in 1982, one a Superbird, the other a Daytona. Both were mint automatics. One had a 440 six-pack, the other a 440 Magnum.

The six pack was $7500, the Magnum was $7000. I don't like autos, so I passed.

Others I passed on: a '67 Corvette 327 4-speed roadster for $7000 in 1982, a MINT and I mean perfect Hemi 'Cuda in 1988 for $30,000, a 1970 Challenger with a 340 4-speed and a shaker hood for $500, a '73 455 Super Duty Trans Am for $5000...it makes me sick.

Maybe worse, I owned a '70 Mach 1 with a genuine 428 Super Cobra Jet, drag pack, 4.30 Detroit, shaker, the works. I bought it for $1000 in 1980 with a truck load of spares that went with it, and I sold the car by itself 18 months later with a cracked block for $1100. I made about $400 on the spares, so $1500 overall. I thought I had made out like a bandit!

Bay Area
Hey Hey Gentlemen, hindsight is 20/20, can we please just enjoy the fact that Ford made it possible for you OLD guys and us younger GUYS to re-experience what some of us live or caught at the tail end of. As much as I love my Boss and am waiting for my GT 350....those of you (with money) that "biznitch" and / or COMPLAIN; why don't you realize this is the real WORLD AND ACCEPT THE CHANGES.

TMO Supporting Vendors