The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Hellion Twin Turbo BOSS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We had the opptunity to get our hands on a new BOSS and slap the Hellion Twin Turbo system on it. More information to come in MMFF on basic boost levels and install but after the article was finished, we decided to play a little. On a bone stock motor, all we added was a 80lb injector and a Vortech Boost-A-Pump. On 11lbs of boost, she put doen 799rwhp SAE Smoothing 5 with a 11.2 A/F. Power was from 3300-8k and held good. Car is driven daily by the owner too.

A lot more to come with mods but thats a for MMFF to post. We will be testing it on the drag strip here shortly.

Here is some pictures. Enjoy

How much weight does that kit add to the front of the car? There's already too much weight up front. It would be interesting to see how it performs on a road course since that's what the Boss is designed for.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I don't miss my old turbo lag. I can't imagine doing some precision throttle steering with turbos installed. I would guess heat also has to be a big issue on road courses. Looks like a 1/4 mile car to me.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Thats awesome. Where is the ECU and fuse box relocated too? I would look into putting turbo blankets on those as its hot enough already under that hood.

I am really curious as to any fitment issues. And what you need to cut or modify to make it fit. Are the turbos soley oil cooled or water cooled?

I doubt that it would be pratical on the track you guys are thinking of. It would be a 1/4 or standing mile monster.

Same questions as everybody else. Track times, weight, heat soak, amount of cutting and alteration required, etc...??? I'd love to get JUST a little more out of her without completely altering the driving characteristics. Maybe a single turbo in my future if I can eliminate enough front weight from other things to make it a wash.

cloud9 said:
Any idea how much it improved lap times? I imagine keeping it cool over a 25-30 minute session in 90* heat presented you with quite a challenge.

It will be test on Road course but not really what the owner does at all. But while driving it in Myrtle Beach for Mustang week on the Coyote cruise which lasted over an hour, IAT stayed below 100 and the ECT was below 200 so i do not seeing it much of an issue.

The road course testing will be done with MMFF against a ZL-1. Just wait. That's all I can say.

The Boss was designed for road course but like most Ford cars, they leave the aftermarket side of things open. A boss can be a drag car just as much as a road course car. It's the owners goal on how to choose the over-all plan with it.

When it comes to weight, we have not quarter scaled it but their really isn't much added besides the 2 turbos and intercooler. The headers are reversed and it still uses your stock mid pipe if you choose too.

The fuse box and ECU are moved to the right of the passenger side turbo. Easy un-bolt and move over then re-bolt. Their is no modifying the front bumper at all either which was a perk for me.

The car does have heat wrap and blankets on it. In request from hellion for Mustang week and the MMFF article, we left them off so you can see everything. but even with them off and the hot Florida sun, the temps have stayed down. The hood vents help a lot actually. All we did was trim the inner liner so you can have full access to the vents. And the owner drives it every day and is not nice to it at all. LOL The lag is little to non to be honest. When I drove it, it threw me back in my seat in 2nd-4th. My own car is a single turbo 3v pushing 708rwhp and set up for drag and this boss hit harder.

I am personally looking at a 2013 LS to do this swap to and set up the chassie for Drag. Can't wait to have a yellow LS lift the front tires by people at the track. LOL

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
STEVE@BBR said:
cloud9 said:
Any idea how much it improved lap times? I imagine keeping it cool over a 25-30 minute session in 90* heat presented you with quite a challenge.

It will be test on Road course but not really what the owner does at all. But while driving it in Myrtle Beach for Mustang week on the Coyote cruise which lasted over an hour, IAT stayed below 100 and the ECT was below 200 so i do not seeing it much of an issue.

ECT under 200 ? That is less than my stock engined LS does at the track on an 80 degree day. Interesting how it would be lower with twin turbos.... ???

all in the tuning my friend. Stock is commanded on an BOSS is 212degrees (that's Ford settings on a 2013)

When changing the settings, you can adjust for the Fan to come on soon thus cooling it down. A little trick you can do is take your stock thermo stat and drill 2 small holes you can keep the flow going. Has worked on many cars.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Hellion Twin Turbo = ZL-who? ;D

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
And now the words we all fear... HOW MUCH? <professionally installed and tuned>

ace72ace said:
And now the words we all fear... HOW MUCH? <professionally installed and tuned>

Yeah good one I can guess it is going to be alot more then a blower for sure. The blowers run right around 6500 complete kits with tune this is the main reason why I have not looked into turbo ;)

The kit shown above cost $7495 and you will need injectors and at least a BAP as well. For a store bought twin turbo system, going to be hard to beat that.

Turbo's have always cost more then blowers but you cannot compare the power at all. I went from a Vortech to a single turbo on my 05. I am pushing 2lbs less then the Vortech and pushing 91rwhp more. I went from 617 to 708 (i'm fully built)

Blowers build boost, turbo's are at full boost. LOL The technology has come a long way and these new motor's love rpm and are doing very well with boost. The variable cam timing bleed's off the pressure. Key to anything with boost on the new 5.0 motors.

STEVE@BBR said:
The kit shown above cost $7495 and you will need injectors and at least a BAP as well. For a store bought twin turbo system, going to be hard to beat that.

Turbo's have always cost more then blowers but you cannot compare the power at all. I went from a Vortech to a single turbo on my 05. I am pushing 2lbs less then the Vortech and pushing 91rwhp more. I went from 617 to 708 (i'm fully built)

Blowers build boost, turbo's are at full boost. LOL The technology has come a long way and these new motor's love rpm and are doing very well with boost. The variable cam timing bleed's off the pressure. Key to anything with boost on the new 5.0 motors.

Blowers, centrifical superchargers and turbos all have their own nitch, but as adding one for the street the price is a high consideration, you can put a kennebell on a boss for 6500 DONE COMPLETE. maybe not as much hp as the twinn turbo? just change the pulley. I like that twinn turbo setup except doesnt it tap into your oil pump?

TMO Supporting Vendors