The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Hellion Twin Turbo BOSS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepinocala said:
STEVE@BBR said:
The kit shown above cost $7495 and you will need injectors and at least a BAP as well. For a store bought twin turbo system, going to be hard to beat that.

Turbo's have always cost more then blowers but you cannot compare the power at all. I went from a Vortech to a single turbo on my 05. I am pushing 2lbs less then the Vortech and pushing 91rwhp more. I went from 617 to 708 (i'm fully built)

Blowers build boost, turbo's are at full boost. LOL The technology has come a long way and these new motor's love rpm and are doing very well with boost. The variable cam timing bleed's off the pressure. Key to anything with boost on the new 5.0 motors.

Blowers, centrifical superchargers and turbos all have their own nitch, but as adding one for the street the price is a high consideration, you can put a kennebell on a boss for 6500 DONE COMPLETE. maybe not as much hp as the twinn turbo? just change the pulley. I like that twinn turbo setup except doesnt it tap into your oil pump?

Though a KB is nice and love them but with that, now you have 3 huge factors working against you. 1: Pulling power to make power 2. Over belt / slip , 3. Quicker heat soak.

A positive displacement blower will ALWAYS boost quicker then a turbo off the line. That is just fact. But your blower making 10lbs is what the turbo is making at 6lbs and holding longer too.

Now, the basic KB starts at $6499.99 Now you will still need a BAP to make the 600 hp safely which it will do no problem. otherwise, you will go lean up top. This will be on 10lbs of boost.

Now with the turbo, and how it adds no stress on the motor because of the non altered belt system or taking power away to spin the blower, you will see the 600 if not more on maybe 7lbs (which is what most blower kits do when bought without upgrades and you will see under 6 to the tires.)

Now don't get me wrong. I love all power adders. Procharger is my personal favorite. But between that, Vortech, Roush, KB, FRPP, Magnuson, ect... your going to make the same power. They key is keeping is safely. Why we add BAP's when we add systems. And with the twin turbo, well until you actually go for a ride in one. It's a different world.

Actually the kennebell mamouth kit for the boss comes with everything including tune and bap for 6599 delivered. I just cant see spending thousands more for a street kit turbo i do think the twinn setup looks great I just cant see spending that much more. Exactly how much cost is needed to get that system completly done and safe I have seen a ton of superchargers without any problems at all but have read of problems with the turbo system not sure if it was true though. you have forgot to add turbos do make alot of heat and heat soke is a problem with them also and ontop of that I think the actual worse problem and maybe the only one from my perspective is that it taps into your oil that is not a good idea to me.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
Actually the kennebell mamouth kit for the boss comes with everything including tune and bap for 6599 delivered. I just cant see spending thousands more for a street kit turbo i do think the twinn setup looks great I just cant see spending that much more. Exactly how much cost is needed to get that system completly done and safe I have seen a ton of superchargers without any problems at all but have read of problems with the turbo system not sure if it was true though. you have forgot to add turbos do make alot of heat and heat soke is a problem with them also and ontop of that I think the actual worse problem and maybe the only one from my perspective is that it taps into your oil that is not a good idea to me.
pretty sure all turbos require motor oil for lube and tap into the engine. I could live with that over the strees a supercharger places on the front main bearing to the crank. Any form of boost is good to me I just like the idea of turbos more than the superchargers. The KB will be easier to install that goes without question. Flipping the stock headers is a chore and I am waiting for some long term feed back on this kit. The amount of fitment issues with hellions single turbo kit has me leerie to just dump 8-9k into a new kit from them.

With their single kit, We have installed over 20 systems. Long as its done the right way, your good. We have sold 10x that to people who have installed them as well and enjoy them.

The twins are a completely different design and set up. Yes it deff is not as user friendly as others but you get more out of it. Even with the turbo's in the engine bay, it's not going to cause the issues of heat soaking like a A2W system would on the street.

I would love to explain more on the street testing as well as the track but because we did this install for MMFF, we have to let that issue come out before we say more.

Your questions are good and respectful. And everything is being tested as asked. Just will be released in the magazine.

cheer's

pretty sure all turbos require motor oil for lube and tap into the engine. I could live with that over the strees a supercharger places on the front main bearing to the crank.

I have read this from other areas and have to ask has anyone ever seen a problem with the front bearing from a supercharger? I ask because the front main bearing is no different from the rear main bearing and wonder why someone would worrie of stress from a supercharger? I like all of the setups anything that adds power is great I am just not on the turbo wagon because it does heat up your oil been there done that once told myself back then never again.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
pretty sure all turbos require motor oil for lube and tap into the engine. I could live with that over the strees a supercharger places on the front main bearing to the crank.

I have read this from other areas and have to ask has anyone ever seen a problem with the front bearing from a supercharger? I ask because the front main bearing is no different from the rear main bearing and wonder why someone would worrie of stress from a supercharger? I like all of the setups anything that adds power is great I am just not on the turbo wagon because it does heat up your oil been there done that once told myself back then never again.
the belt pulls on the crank side ways with a blower. At low boost settings this isnt really an issue but it is still there.

Turbo's are oil fed from a feed and drain line. Actually very safe are reliable. Many older power adders did the same. Certain systems come with a scavenger pump so their is no tapping in the oil pan either. But now, many blower systems are now self contained, yes it is easier but does not make it safer. I know many twin screws still going bad from a seizing seal. But that's just like anything.

A turbo will put less stress on a motor. Your using exhaust gas to make power. No belt slip, pulling power to make power, spending a lot more on belts, ect.

Procharger did is very nice though having a separate belt drive system which will put very little stress.

I emailed Hellion last week to ask about installing this same setup on my '13 GHIG BOSS 302 and they gave me a heads up on your build. Needless to say, I can't wait till the Mag comes out!

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Seems like only the GHIG guys are doing this kit so far, maybe because they have 'so much green' they can afford it! :eek:

Justin

ace72ace said:
Seems like on the GHIG guys are doing this kit so far, maybe because they have 'so much green' they can afford it! :eek:
lol. if I had the green I would be all over this kit. but I was told I have to pay off bills instead :-\

Oh I'm still weighing my options/debating if I want to go FI at all. If I decide I want to... Then there's the huge hit the bank account will have to take... :-\

so what exactly would the out the door installed tuned with injectors/bap and whatever else was needed to replicate the 799 rwhp.....say if someone like myself were to show up at your shop with a basically stock 2012 Boss 302 and want the same thing as the GHIG car....whats the true out the door installed and tuned price?

It might have been my droll on the car from the MB mustang week. Love it and it really looks well done.
Rice

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Shops have to establish a dialogue with a potential customer, to find out exactly what they have, what they want, and what they are willing to spend. You aren't cross shopping a set of rims here, it's taking the plunge to transform this factory made track beast into an insane street machine. Would seem to be easy to 'run out of talent' trying to keep something this powerful under control on the street or track/drag strip.

I also wouldn't be considering something like this w/o first also budgeting for some major upgrades to the the drivetrain, chassis/suspension. My aluminum driveshaft is 'only' rated to 1000hp, so I guess the 1250hp upgrade is out... ;D ;D ;D

I'm happy with the Boss as it is right now, if I could get another 30-40 hp with a full Kooks exhaust for a much more affordable price (not near the current 3k, installed) w/o a CEL, perfect. But if some Boss owners want to go totally bat-bleep adding another 4, 5, 6, 700 horsepower, go for it, in for pix and video. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors