The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 ordering question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My local dealer said he was allotted two 2012 LS's and several regular 2012 302's throughout last year. They had a Kona blue and white regular one on the floor when I went in earlier this week. However, I want a 2013 School Bus Yellow LS. They don't know their allotments of 2013, yet. Do I put in for a regular or a LS? I figure a regular 302 is automatic; the LS is my question????

Welcome to BMO. If you want a SBY 2013 why wouldn't you put a deposit on it? If they got two for 2012 I'm sure they'll get at least one for 2013. I'm sure the dealer will transfer your deposit to a Boss if they don't get a LS.

That's the thing. They're Unsure about their LS allocation for 2013 and I can't get past buying a boss with a back seat. Maybe I'm being too critical. A boss is a boss, right?

BLAZN BOSS

Do you want a car with R compound tires and deal with the winter necessities?..........if not buy a Regular Boss not the LS.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Tyler1104 said:
That's the thing. They're Unsure about their LS allocation for 2013 and I can't get past buying a boss with a back seat. Maybe I'm being too critical. A boss is a boss, right?

Tyler - Make sure you are aware of the differences between the cars, it not just a back seat delete. 5 DOT 0 is 100% correct tha the cars a basically the same, especially for the 'important stuff' (i.e. drivetrain). I've read/heard that there are differences in the suspension tuning but I'm not sure if that's actually true. 5 DOT 0 or Cloud9 could verify that I'm sure. My personal opinion (now how worthless is THAT ;D ) is that I enjoy owning the first year that the Boss came back and that it's design will end up being unique since the 2013's look more like a GT500 to me. The 2013's will probably be the exact same car, with some additonal amenties, and possibly a little less susceptable to overheating (?). I like my analog gauge pod, that will also be gone in 2013 I believe. All that said you cannot go wrong with either choice. My guess is you may be able to save some $$$ if you go with a 2012 also. I went 100 miles to find my LS, checking into other dealerships to find what you really want is always a good suggestion. Good Luck !

Tyler1104 said:
4pt roll bar $650 plus $250 to powdercoat and weld rear bars (rigidity, safety and harness bar)
Rear seat delete kit $225 (drops 27 lbs if removing rear seat belts)
Brake cooling kit $225
Trans scoop $125
Caster/camber plates $350
Enkei PF01 wheels $1350
Nitto r-comp tires $1100
LS rear wing $350 (with paint)
Aeroforce gauge $250 (may not need with track pack gauges?)

I run this setup and it's faster than a stock LS. The cost obviously isn't directly comparable since you now have an extra set of wheels/tires (which is the majority of the cost above).

MLM

Mike
Other than the different tires/wheels, rear wing and rear seat delete, the LS has different damper (adjustable shock) valving, larger rear stabilizer and different rear spring rates. I also think somewhere I read the rear of the LS is slightly lower? Plus the splitter and cooling ducts come with the car, but those can be bought for a regular Boss too.

Everything on the LS can be done to a regular Boss - the hardest thing to change is the color/stripes. The LS is a turnkey solution for folks who don't want to invest more money and time into their cars. I would say that's the biggest advantage of the LS, if you want a turnkey track car or are enamored with the special colors. It seems like many folks here enjoy modding their cars, so I guess the decision is really about whether you want to do that and what your budget (money and time) is.

Spring rates and valving are SLIGHTLY different on the LS but I have yet to see any significant reduction in lap times....from a practical lap time perspective, it's minimal. The trans scoop and brake cooling kit and front splitter do ship with the car but are owner/dealer installed so it's still not a "turn key" track car. The ride heights are identical. Each car was lowered 11mm in the front and 1mm in the rear from a standard GT.

MLM

Mike
cloud9 said:
Spring rates and valving are SLIGHTLY different on the LS but I have yet to see any significant reduction in lap times....from a practical lap time perspective, it's minimal. The trans scoop and brake cooling kit and front splitter do ship with the car but are owner/dealer installed so it's still not a "turn key" track car. The ride heights are identical. Each car was lowered 11mm in the front and 1mm in the rear from a standard GT.

I stand corrected, there are some customer bolt ons but technically you could track either Boss right off of the lot. The LS is just one step closer to what some people aim for. I guess what I'm suggesting is that the calculus could be: spend a few grand less on the regular Boss and use the difference for mods, or just go for the LS and have less $$$ for mods. Of course, if money is no object, then I guess that there isn't much practical difference.

MLM said:
cloud9 said:

I stand corrected, there are some customer bolt ons but technically you could track either Boss right off of the lot. The LS is just one step closer to what some people aim for. I guess what I'm suggesting is that the calculus could be: spend a few grand less on the regular Boss and use the difference for mods, or just go for the LS and have less $$$ for mods. Of course, if money is no object, then I guess that there isn't much practical difference.
You are right. The beauty is you can't go wrong either way! ;D

MLM

Mike
cloud9 said:
MLM said:
cloud9 said:

You are right. The beauty is you can't go wrong either way! ;D

Come to think of it, how about one of each? ;D

cloud9 said:
Regarding lap times the biggest difference is the LS comes stock with R compound tires. At the Mustang Round Up at MPH this past fall a LS put up the second fastest lap time. A Boss was the fastest. Also at Laguna Seca AFAIK no LS has beat the time that Motortrend put down in a Boss. Again there are differences but they are neglibable. If I didn't have two cute kids to ride in the back seat I would have purchased a Black LS.

LSfastestlaps.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors