The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 Performance White heat extractor discoloration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As the subject states, has anybody else had issues with the heat extractor covers not matching the paint of the car. I was told by one guy at a body shop that this was to be expected as the extractors are plastic and most of the rest of the car is metal. I'm just wondering if I am the only one having these issues and/or if I should be taking the car back for warranty to remedy this issue.

Thanks.

My Race red ones are still a total match on mine, but I like them blacked out and did use Plastidip on them to make them satin black. If you are not familliar with it, it is a rubber coating you spray on and if you descide you don't like it you can just peel it off with no negative effects to your paint. The 2014 California specials have black hood vents, but they are not changeable and they are shiny like the tail light panel on the 13's. They look better satin. IMHO.

I will try and get some pictures up this afternoon, I just need to wash the car first so they are as noticeable as possible.

azazell64 said:
As the subject states, has anybody else had issues with the heat extractor covers not matching the paint of the car. I was told by one guy at a body shop that this was to be expected as the extractors are plastic and most of the rest of the car is metal. I'm just wondering if I am the only one having these issues and/or if I should be taking the car back for warranty to remedy this issue.

Thanks.

Did they discolor over time or have they been that way from the start? Mine match, but only a little over 700 miles on it.

Mine are also discolored and have been so since new. It's not noticeable all the time but in certain lighting it is very noticeable.

my hood vents have discolored as well, i'm guessing mostly due to the engine heat and it being a plastic.

my rear bumper also does not match the rest of the car 100%. This bothers me when i wash the car, which is why i don't like washing my car since it makes me notice things like that... and rock chips :mad:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Perfectly normal...It's an issue with the white cars. Plastic/ABS parts don't match the metal parts.

Plastic and ABS parts usually get a 'flex additive' in the paint. I suspect with the modern low VOC paints that the additive may be more visible.

Pitt302 said:
Dont notice the hood vents as much as the miss match of the rear bumper cover,I did not notice it until the body shop pointed it out,know it bothers me.Ford should of done better than this.
Then I believe that you potentially would have a valid warranty claim....If it were me, I would pursue it.

The car is relatively new, it only has 1000 miles on it and since I've owned it, it has been garage kept aside from when I'm driving it and they have been like that since I purchased it. The only reason it is starting to bother me now is that other people other than myself are starting to notice it and it really doesn't look good on anybody when the color looks like it was assembled using a parts bin of various shades of white items.

isrboss

I have a slight color difference between the hood and extractors. This is to be expected though as pointed out. I'm more worried about paying attention to the hood itself. I was informed it is made of blended metals and they aren't playing well together. I was told to keep an eye on the pinched/rolled edge for any sign of paint disturbance. Ford knows of the problem and will replace the whole hood.

TMO Supporting Vendors