The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2013 vs 2012 EPA Estimate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I noticed when looking at some window stickers in the system that the EPA estimates are different for comparable setup cars (both with Torsen diff/seats option)

2012: 17 city / 26 highway / 20 combined
2013: 15 city / 26 highway / 19 combined

I doubt there is any real mechanical or even ECU programming differences between the cars, but what do I know for a fact? ??? (nothing) I would assume this is more a reflection of a change in EPA's testing, but thought I'd ask if anyone knows definitively why the difference exists.

Cheers.

I think the 15 city number is a more realistic figure for both model years. If it got any more realistic, the guzzler tax might come into to play. I've been cruisin around town since last October & still haven't reached 15 MPG. I'm sure if Trackey came with the car instead of being an after market add on the numbers would be lower.

302BOB said:
I think the 15 city number is a more realistic figure for both model years. If it got any more realistic, the guzzler tax might come into to play. I've been cruisin around town since last October & still haven't reached 15 MPG. I'm sure if Trackey came with the car instead of being an after market add on the numbers would be lower.

I agree that it is more realistic. I only get around 13 to 14 MPG's when using my TracKey around town. I've seen some people say they are getting above 20 MPG but the best that I have got is 19 and that was on a road trip.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I agree, I think they just made the numbers more accurate. I get 13-14 around town, 18 for normal highway driving and I've gotten 23 MPG at 65 MPH on a flat road , no headwind. ;D The second any of that changes she's down to 20 MPG and headed back towards 18 Avg. On the track I get 6 MPG +/- ::)

So the three of you are suggesting Ford made the numbers more accurate or the EPA? My understanding is the numbers come from a very specific test process, meaning you can't just "adjust" the numbers, even if based on real world data.

The EPA makes changes to how they conduct their tests and there may have been a change for the 2013 MY. Regardless I get mileage similar to Pete except I did get 22+ on one long trip which was mostly freeway.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
As I said in a previous post, anyone saying they got 26 MPG must have been measuring it in neutral with the engine off, or while driving off a cliff (High mileage those last couple of feet) ;D

PeteInCT said:
As I said in a previous post, anyone saying they got 26 MPG must have been measuring it in neutral with the engine off, or while driving off a cliff (High mileage those last couple of feet) ;D

The car does fly ;D

I am heading to Vegas this weekend so I will let everyone know what mileage I get on the way there. I may not have enough gas money for the return trip though.

I've got 26 mpg on flat highway with cruise control on at about 62 mph. Any blasting around at all will drop that significantly. Still pulling combined avg of 16.1 mpg after 4300 miles.

jimprw said:
I've got 26 mpg on flat highway with cruise control on at about 62 mph. Any blasting around at all will drop that significantly. Still pulling combined avg of 16.1 mpg after 4300 miles.

So that what it takes to get 26 mpg. Oh well, no chance in ever seeing that. ;)

I always figured the EPA was to lazy to test the Boss and just used the GT's (with 3.31 gears) mileage numbers.

Drove from San Antonio to Dallas last Saturday for the Texas Boss Get Together and averaged 22.6 with the cruise on 75 most of the time. Most of the time I average around 14-15 and when on track around 7 with the trackey.

Not sure how I would enjoy the car if I was trying to save money on gas. Boss and High Mileage seems like an oxymoron

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'm noticing that you boys who are getting more than 22 MPG live in areas that are fairly flat. That must be it, at least that's what I'm going with as an explanation ;D At the end of the day the only MPG rating that impacts me is the one when she's on the track. Now that I have the trailer I bought two 5 gal fuel jugs to haul some 93 octane around at 'normal' ($4.10/gal) Connecticut prices.

Smitty - kudo's to you having to put in 100 octane ! Round these parts it's at least $9/gal (it may actually be even more by now) !

TMO Supporting Vendors