The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2015 GT - 435HP/400TQ - and HEAVIER!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_revealed_2015_ford_mustang_gt_makes_435_hp_400_lb_ft_of_torque.html

So, the 2015 numbers are official. GT is 435/400, Ecoboost is 310/320, V6 "down" to 300/280 (can't have the base engine too close to the $$$$ 4-banger, especially when the V6 version weighs LESS than the 4 cylinder!) Take it to the bank, the V6 is identical to the current one, and if it really is down 5HP from 2014, a tune will fix that.

But here is the real disappointment - they are all HEAVIER than the 2014! Holy crap, are you telling me they couldn't figure out a way to drop a few pounds? The GT is almost 100lb HEAVIER than the 2014.

The Porkstang is going to get killed by the 2016 Camaro, which will have the 455HP LT1 from the Corvette and which is rumored to be dropping 200lb, which would put it under the Mustang in weight.

Thank God I have the Boss.

I don't believe the numbers! Wait until she comes out, you have to keep the others guessing on this. Chevy and Dodge boys are watching and waiting to learn what Ford is going todo about the weight.

Those appear to be the actual numbers, officially released by Ford. Mustang6G has more detailed info here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-horsepower-2501.html

Considering that the new IRS probably in and of itself added between 100 and 200 pounds of weight over the S197 solid axle, I think they did pretty well to hold the weight gain on the GT 6-speed to 87 pounds. We shall see if the GT350 and GT350R have any weight reduction. It's no lightweight at over 3700 lbs, but I'd hardly call it a "porker," and it's still considerably lighter than the real porkers: Camaro and Challenger.

More info directly from Ford.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/07/17/ford-mustang-features-all-new-suspension.html

I'll take a "heavier", which 87 pounds is nothing really, mustang with 6 pot front and 4 pot rears. Gaining that weight and being pissed is like having your wife gain 2 pounds and calling her a lard ass.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I was sold on the idea the new Mustang would be smaller and lighter...more refined, more efficient / to me more efficient = faster :) not more fuel efficient hahahaha
I liked those ideas very much.

Looking at the first pictures of the 2015, I realized it was no smaller than the S197.
Reading the specs I realize now it is no lighter either!
It's a bit disappointing, it seems it is not really going to happen.
Love that rendering though! But we are far from what we will be buying.

Brandon302 said:
I'll take a "heavier", which 87 pounds is nothing really, mustang with 6 pot front and 4 pot rears. Gaining that weight and being pissed is like having your wife gain 2 pounds and calling her a lard ass.

More like if she gained weight to her bust ;-) the extra weight in the mustang is the same think, more fun bits :-D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The sky is falling ::)

Despite being so much stronger, this is a very efficient horse, with a body-in-white that is actually lighter than the previous version. This was achieved through extensive use of advanced technologies and materials including hydroforming, laser welding and high-strength steels. Lightweight aluminum is used for the hood and front fenders to help reduce body mass and improve the weight balance.

If you're not pleased by this part of Ford's official statement, then go buy brand X where the real porkers are. ::) :p

Essentially, the above highlighted areas mean that cars at race weight or with Drew-style weight removal could be significantly lighter, even with the IRS weight penalty. This is a good thing and about what I expected for the actual program changes.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
The sky is falling ::)

If you're not pleased by this part of Ford's official statement, then go buy brand X where the real porkers are. ::) :p

Essentially, the above highlighted areas mean that cars at race weight or with Drew-style weight removal could be significantly lighter, even with the IRS weight penalty. This is a good thing and about what I expected for the actual program changes.

That is good news for S550R/S buyers...maybe I can get one of those in 10 years :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
That is good news for S550R/S buyers...maybe I can get one of those in 10 years :)

...Cobra Jets too. I don't see seam welded BIWs going over $20k. Would be a great deal for some guys and certain situations. Though I'm not hoping to be in one of those situations!

TMO Supporting Vendors