The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2015 GT 5.0 cylinder heads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Does anyone know if the 2015 5.0 cylinder heads definitively fit on 11-14 blocks and match up to our intakes and exhaust? I really think they do but was hoping someone has inside information. Since valve sizes and higher lift cam are the same or similar to the Boss heads and the ports are supposedly cast like the Boss CNC shape I can outfit my future Aluminator short block for about $1000 less than Boss heads and still make the same power. If any has done it or has info on this please share.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Does anyone know if the 2015 5.0 cylinder heads definitively fit on 11-14 blocks and match up to our intakes and exhaust? I really think they do but was hoping someone has inside information. Since valve sizes and higher lift cam are the same or similar to the Boss heads and the ports are supposedly cast like the Boss CNC shape I can outfit my future Aluminator short block for about $1000 less than Boss heads and still make the same power. If any has done it or has info on this please share.
Steve

Not 100% sure on this but I did ask around about this before. The oil/coolant passages might not mate up, IIRC. In for very specific answer.

Call Ford Racing and ask. If they don't know call Patrick at Watson Racing. They've had a few 2015 engines they've been testing. ;)

They bolt on ok. The VCT is different though. There is a restrictor in the oil passage in the head that wasn't there on 2011-2014. The new VCT system needs full oil pressure and flow. On 2011-2014 the flow is restricted in the head gasket. The restriction is removed in the new head gaskets.

The valve train is not designed for the same speed capability as the boss stuff.

Also, a Boss intake will bolt right on, but a 2011-2014 GT intake requires modification to clear the new intake flange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Boss0144
Why do you think the valvetrain is not as RPM capable as the Boss setup? The info on the '15 engines was that the valvesprings were uprated like the Boss. Other parts such as the rocker arms and lash adjusters were no different from Coyote engines. Doesn't matter as I would use Trick Flow springs anyway. I messaged Dean Martin and he likes this swap and doesn't think there are any major hiccups.
I guess using the new head gaskets would be the best course. Any other detail info you have would be appreciated.
Steve

Should we use the new head gaskets on our cars?

I wouldn't mess around with head gaskets or ECU swaps unless you're going to change everything [heads, VCT, and possibly oil pump]. Like BOSS0144 said, the VCTs are different. I understand the new VCTs use an intermediate lock pin on the intake phasers that allow cam retard as well as advance from a default position that allows the car to start easily. Our BOSS engines don't have that. Removing the oil restriction was likely necessary to allow the lock pin in the phaser to retract quickly. Its likely that either a larger capacity oil pump or other changes were made to the oil circuit to ensure pressure throughout the engine.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
steveespo said:
Not looking to use '15 phasers just the castings for valve size and port shape. Balance of hardware would be '11-'14 spec with cams from Comp or Ford Racing. If the timing gear fits then I will proceed. More research will be done.
Steve

Then I would think you would use the 11-14 style head gasket to keep same oil supply to your cams and valve gear.

Dave
302 HP

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
302 Hi Pro said:
Then I would think you would use the 11-14 style head gasket to keep same oil supply to your cams and valve gear.

Dave
302 HP

If understand Boss0144 post correctly he states there is an oil flow restrictor built into the '15 heads that wasn't in the earlier heads, therefore the late gasket should be used with late heads and early gasket with early heads to maintain oil flow. If you use an early gasket with the late heads it will be double restricted and may not have sufficient oil flow for either style phaser.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Update
Just bought a set of brand new bare Boss 302 heads on eBay for $1052 shipped. OEM Ford valves, springs, retainers, seals and keepers, plus the 10 cup plugs add $764 to that cost to make them fully dressed as you would get from Ford Racing. Total $1816, best assembled set cost I've found is $2329, saving is $513. Best price I could work up on the '15 heads dressed was $1903, mostly because of a $250 per head core charge. Also appears the '15 valves are not the special lightweight valves used in the Boss heads.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
steveespo said:
If understand Boss0144 post correctly he states there is an oil flow restrictor built into the '15 heads that wasn't in the earlier heads, therefore the late gasket should be used with late heads and early gasket with early heads to maintain oil flow. If you use an early gasket with the late heads it will be double restricted and may not have sufficient oil flow for either style phaser.

Thanks Steve, and Yes, I missed that. The oil restricter moves from the 2011-14 head gasket to the 2015 cylinder head, so you must use the non-restricted 2015 head gasket.

Conversely, using the old gskt with the new head would net 2 oil restrictions, one in gskt and one in cylinder head.

Second item: Now that we have original Boss engines being torn down, is anyone seeing signs of cylinder head coolant flow problems as first reported by some back in 2011/12? They were also trying to sell a coolant hose bridge for the rear of our cylinder heads. I'm hoping this is a non-issue with our engines.

Thanks,
Dave
302 HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel