The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2015 Mustang GAINED weight???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat-guy-eating-giant-hamburger.jpg

If this is true, this is an inexcusable embarrassment. 2015 Mustang target of -400 lbs. turned into +200-300 lbs.

News Item:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2014/05/31/will-the-2015-mustang-actually-weigh-more/

Source (Steeda):

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2014/05/2015-mustang-product-development-update/

Steeda has the cars, the scales, and no reason that I can reckon to publish this if it weren't true.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I can't believe it, not to mention I am not the biggest Steeda fan. If the new F150 can lose weight so can the Mustang.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
The fact the 2015 weighs any more then the 2014 is disappointing. It should weigh substantially less.

GM showed the right way to design a replacement for their iconic Corvette and Ford is showing the wrong way.

I read the same thing yesterday in the new 5.0 mag. Might be true,independant rear could be the cause and the new safty features add more weight.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
chefron50 said:
I read the same thing yesterday in the new 5.0 mag. Might be true,independent rear could be the cause and the new safty features add more weight.

The new roof structure (anti-collapse) which was required and the IRS all way significantly more than the roof structure and stick axle in the 2014. At best I hoped for equal weight... we'll see.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
JScheier said:
The new roof structure (anti-collapse) which was required and the IRS all way significantly more than the roof structure and stick axle in the 2014. At best I hoped for equal weight... we'll see.

I read about the new roof structure also, but since they make a convertible, the "why we have gained weight" argument loses credence.

Jalopnik just posted something about this stating that Steeda guessed that it weighed more without actually checking it, assuming everything they added would actually increase the weight.

Steeda also said they had 4 cars on the way, they didn't say they had them yet. But, there's always some truth in a rumor.

I'm just not seeing how they could substantiate that the Mustang will weigh more when the F-150 is losing 700 or so pounds by going aluminum.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Think Steeda is wrong. Ford has stated they meet their goals with the new platform. Do not think we will see the 400lbs I was hoping for but I feel that it has to loose some weight.
But hey this ain't over till the fat lady sings. (that will be Ford releasing the specs)

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I have been following this weight gain issue. Seems the way the car manufacturers are coming up with the average weight has changed from 2014. They of course do not weigh each car and stamp the door frame with a custom sticker.
It is a average of what they expect to sell with fluids, options, etc. per model. This average has changed so that if you were to apply it to a 2014 that car would be heavier on paper see quote below.
" 2014 Base GT would weigh 3844lbs in the new US Curb Weight Standard, 140lbs more than the 2015. That 3844lbs also reflects the 2014 Mustangs loaded weight while the Vert would be closer to 3950lbs. Now, I'm sure 140lbs is shy of what they wanted overall, shy of 200 for sure."
Here is a currant article from Motor Authority on the S-550 weights
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1092710_yes-the-2015-ford-mustang-is-heavier-but-not-by-much
So maybe this isn't so bad, I know Vorshlag has a 15 GT on order and we will see the real weights when they get there hands on it.

Domestic Product said:
I have been following this weight gain issue. Seems the way the car manufacturers are coming up with the average weight has changed from 2014. They of course do not weigh each car and stamp the door frame with a custom sticker.
It is a average of what they expect to sell with fluids, options, etc. per model. This average has changed so that if you were to apply it to a 2014 that car would be heavier on paper see quote below.
" 2014 Base GT would weigh 3844lbs in the new US Curb Weight Standard, 140lbs more than the 2015. That 3844lbs also reflects the 2014 Mustangs loaded weight while the Vert would be closer to 3950lbs. Now, I'm sure 140lbs is shy of what they wanted overall, shy of 200 for sure."
Here is a currant article from Motor Authority on the S-550 weights
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1092710_yes-the-2015-ford-mustang-is-heavier-but-not-by-much
So maybe this isn't so bad, I know Vorshlag has a 15 GT on order and we will see the real weights when they get there hands on it.

Interesting that they changed the standard, sounds more truthful that way.

TMO Supporting Vendors