The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2015 Mustang GT - 300A Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD
Invested in infrastructure this year with a 8.5x24 enclosed trailer. Uhaul was not a bad option and the truck pulled it easily but it wasn't always convenient. This year will include more travel so I wanted my own trailer.

My preference was a 20' steel open deck trailer but every retailer within a 4 hour distance was sold out of them and the ETA on building one was TBD due to COVID. Next preference was a 20' enclosed trailer but none were available. The ETA on building a 20' enclosed trailer was also TBD due to COVID. Every retailer I spoke to was telling me that people were buying enclosed trailers to build campers for travel and that material cost increases would be passed on to new builds so I decided to get whatever I could find.

2 hours away were two enclosed trailers, both 24', this one and a 7' tall one in grey. I wanted grey but the trailer was too tall. My truck is a 1/2 ton and wind resistance due to the increased height was a concern. It has plenty of power but the loaded trailer weighs ~130% of the truck weight so stability and fuel consumption were factors in choosing the 6'6" height trailer.

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

MD
Planning to divorce the clutch and brake fluid in April with a GTPP A10 master cyl and separate reservoir. Front control arms with bearings are also going on along with SS lines if they arrive in time; ordered in early February but still delayed.

1617053564695.png

MD
3/13/21 - 3/14/21 at NJMP with Chin. First time at this track and it was an absolute blast. Studied the track map and watched a few tutorials on youtube before showing up so I think I picked up the track pretty quickly. Saturday was 1:35 down to 1:33. Best times were on Sunday, 1:32s.

9.5 mpg average to NJMP with the trailer. 150 mile trip each way. High wind advisory on the drive back. Wind wagged the tail enough for the truck to activate electronic sway control on one occasion and cut the mph 10-15mph very suddenly. Part of that sway I'm also attributing to operator error: poor tongue weight distribution. Have since added a WDH hitch and started loading the car little further in the trailer. Took the car to Summit this past weekend without issue; car is loaded a few feet further in for more tongue weight. Want to scale things to be certain.

Arrived at 530PM but NJMP would not open the gates until 7PM. Was plenty dark by the time we were let in and there were no lights so I got lost temporarily. Go left after the gate for Thunderbolt. Unloaded with a head lamp and the trailer lights were also very handy in the dark.

1617054151509.png

1617054326964.png

1617054346317.png

It was all still there in the morning and there was plenty of eye candy to see in the day light

1617054380248.png

1617054395593.png

1617054440548.png

Sunday had more black flag sessions so I packed up and left before Happy Hour to hit the road before it got dark. AiM shows more time left on the table but didn't want to ball the car up. Definitely planning to return.

1617054831445.png

Last edited:
MD
3/27/21 - 3/28/21 Summit Point Shenandoah with SCCA.

1617056667583.png

Rained almost all day on Sunday so just played around in the wet on the 3Rs. No decent times, pics, or vid to report. 31 heat cycles on the tires and they're surprisingly showing very little tread wear for the number of laps turned. Will be flipping them inside out but looks like they'll cycle out before they wear out. Wear is almost exclusively on the outer edges (~2") so may need more camber; didn't expect to go past -3.0 but will experiment. Will start logging temps and pressures on the new set of tires.

Got a storm notice on my phone that heavy rain was coming in 10min so I quickly jumped in the car and pulled it into the trailer. Was starting to put the front straps on when the down pour started. Was happy to be covered but did get wet closing the rear door and then running into the truck.

1617056224040.png

1617056269958.png

Last edited:
MD
Spent a few hours on Sunday finally closing up the rear seat area with an LMR carpet kit and rolling up the harness straps excess. LMR provides some velcro strips to attach the panel to the OE carpet but the strips didn't stick well to the panel or the OE carpet. I ended up cutting some holes for the OE seat mounting bolts and they should hold it in place pretty well. Two more bolts will go on the package tray area to help secure it from wind buffeting. Looks a lot better now and should hopefully lessen road noise.

Next up is sealing the carpet cuts, drilling a few holes into the seat hump, adding rivnuts, and making a mounting bracket for my cheap shirt cooler. It typically sits on the floor behind the passenger seat so it should be easier to access on the hump.

1617661735849.png

1617661759124.png

1617661790242.png

1617661802281.png

1617661817401.png

1617661837594.png

1617661853392.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Any regrets about going with the 24' and 6'6" trailer vs 20'? I am thinking about a trailer. Initially, I was looking at 20' to save weight, but the idea of extra space with a 24' is appealing. Also, I have an event at NCM 9/2-9/3 and was looking at buying the trailer before then, but he U-Haul option is appealing right now, so long as the car loads fine.

MD
Any regrets about going with the 24' and 6'6" trailer vs 20'? I am thinking about a trailer. Initially, I was looking at 20' to save weight, but the idea of extra space with a 24' is appealing. Also, I have an event at NCM 9/2-9/3 and was looking at buying the trailer before then, but he U-Haul option is appealing right now, so long as the car loads fine.

Yes, the 24' is too big for my needs. The idea was to have the car and everything track related in the trailer to just hook up and go. I started loading the trailer up at the start of the season but eventually the tools, spares, tire changing gear, and spares/fluids thinned back out and went back in the car so it can be maintained wherever it is. A 20' (or 18'?) may have been a better fit for an extra set of tires and some boxes.

When I was looking for trailers, the weight difference between a 20' vs 24' steel trailer seemed negligible. On a basic trailer like these, the size of the framing and whether it's square tube vs c-channel will have the biggest impact on weight.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I like my 8.5 x 25 hauler as it not only allow plenty of tools, tires and whatever, it's not difficult to maneuver around. After now driving a 35' travel trailer all summer, I find the car hauler a breeze. I'm in the same camp as Tracy, the bigger the better. Nothing worse than having buyer's remorse after spending your hard earned money.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel