The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2015 Mustang to be 400 lbs lighter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
I'm guessing this is just a red herring. I think it was Motor Trend that printed that, but it's either disinformation from Ford or MT just reaching.

Ford didn't develop the Coyote/Roadrunner and make it ready for Direct Injection just to retire it after the MY2014.

I first saw it in Road & Track.

The 5.0 is most definitely staying around for the GT. But the rumors of fancy shiznit are for the GT350 which, like the GT500, could potentially have a completely different motor.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Still not buying it; even with the S197 the 5.8 and 5.0 DOHC barely fit between the strut towers. Now talk about laying those banks horizontally-opposed, in a smaller engine bay? I don't think that's happening.

ArizonaGT said:
Still not buying it; even with the S197 the 5.8 and 5.0 DOHC barely fit between the strut towers. Now talk about laying those banks horizontally-opposed, in a smaller engine bay? I don't think that's happening.

From my understanding, a "Flat-Plane Crank" is simply a different arrangement on the crankshaft itself right? Not actually horizontally opposed cylinders.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Raymax said:
From my understanding, a "Flat-Plane Crank" is simply a different arrangement on the crankshaft itself right? Not actually horizontally opposed cylinders.

Whoops yeah looks like I misunderstood all that :eek:

I had no idea what you guys were talking about...then I found this.

http://www.projectm71.com/Cross_FlatPlane.htm

still a bit confused, but if it's in race engines, then I want it ;-)

Zquez said:
The rumor I hear is the new Shelby is going to have a high revving, flat plane crank, coyote based, 5.3 - 5.4 motor.

I expect it may be some form of 5.0 twin turbo. They have been working on turbo versions for a while now.

Raymax said:
I hope so, a factory turbo V8 would be extremely awesome.
Yes it would. McLaren uses that configuration. ;) And after looking at photos of their engine it looks a lot like ours.

mcengine4.jpg
mclaren_mp4-12c_eng_11.jpg

Flat Plane Crank.

Block would still be a conventional V8 block.

It's the firing order that different.

Look at the outboard and inboard banks and then the two inner banks

Flatplane.gif

A flat plane V8 is very much like two inline-4 engines mated together in a V configuration. So end-to-end balance is inherent, as the first and last piston of a bank is always exactly in the same position, as are the center two pistons on each bank.

Now, the exhaust note of an engine is related to the manifold design, which is related to the firing order, which is related to the cylinder layout and crankshaft design - therefore the sound of flat-plane V8 is usually somewhat like a pair of four-pot engines screaming simultaneously, unlike the rumble of cross-plane V8s. There have been comments like "It doesn't sound like a V8" aimed at the V8 Esprit... but this should really be "It sounds like a Racing V8!" for the reasons explained here.

While it may be true that flatplane V8s are less refined than crossplane (The flat-plane crank pins produce vibrations, being 180° opposed and thus lacking rotational balance, unless balance shafts are used - which is actually rare), refinement is not a priority for sports/race cars: light weight pistons and conrods and a short stroke "over square" configuration greatly reduce this "second-order vibration". More importantly, as a flatplane crankshaft does not require counterweights, it has less mass and a lower moment of inertia, providing higher rpm and more rapid acceleration.

Engines that use this arrangement include; Cosworth DFV, Coventry Climax, Ferrari F40, TVR Cerbera AJP V8, the Lotus type 918 V8.............race car stuff

smooth_v8_crank.jpg

Flat crank above / cross crank below (traditional American V8)

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
TT V8 would be cool, but living in a hot environment has me more interested in the speculated 500HP N/A GT350. Probably too expensive for me anyway. ::)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Yes it would. McLaren uses that configuration. ;) And after looking at photos of their engine it looks a lot like ours.

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/mcengine4.jpg[/ig]
[img width=900 height=818]http://www.cartype.com/pics/7627/full/mclaren_mp4-12c_eng_11.jpg[/ig]
[/quote]

Sssssh, don't tell [b]them[/b] that! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel