The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2015 Mustang to be 400 lbs lighter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll believe it when I see it. The dimensions in this article are very interesting sounding.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/08/2015-ford-mustang-to-shed-400-pounds.html

2015-ford-mustang-lighter.jpg

Boss_302 said:
And a 5.0 with flat plane crank........a' la Ferrari

I've heard a lot of bitching about this rumor. I love American V8s, but if the GT350 sounds like a 458 Italia, you'll hear no complaints from me.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euFjMVLrv9w[/youtube]

While I'd love to lose 400 lbs.. OK I'm not THAT fat... I'd hate to lose 6" of width. Being five foot fourteen and closer to 250 doesn't lend itself well to smaller cars! Can't wait to see the new design without the tarp on it. As much as I'd love to get one of the new cars, I just can't see myself squeezing into an even smaller car. Hopefully people love them and the price of a used Super Snake or GT350 falls into my budget range.

Fat Boss said:
While I'd love to lose 400 lbs.. OK I'm not THAT fat... I'd hate to lose 6" of width. Being five foot fourteen and closer to 250 doesn't lend itself well to smaller cars! Can't wait to see the new design without the tarp on it. As much as I'd love to get one of the new cars, I just can't see myself squeezing into an even smaller car. Hopefully people love them and the price of a used Super Snake or GT350 falls into my budget range.

It doesn't look as small as people keep saying.

9553357308_389c85e32d_o.jpg

MLM

Mike
Zquez said:
It doesn't look as small as people keep saying.

9553357308_389c85e32d_o.jpg

I agree. But from some earlier spy shots of the engine bay it sure doesn't look like the 5.8L is gonna fit anymore so maybe it's more of a nip-and-tuck job, a few inches here and there.

Firstly, the notion that the 2015 V8 Mustang is going to lose 400lbs is preposterous, that would make the car lighter than a 911, lighter than a C7 Corvette and nearly the same weight as McLaren MP4-12C.

As to these pictures, the first one, which shows the frontend and helmeted driver, it seems to be noticeably smaller. However, there's another which shows a 302S in the foreground and the 2015 in the background. In that picture it hardly looks smaller at all.

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
No mention of the V8 Mustang losing 400lbs. ;)

"The current Ford Mustang V6 weighs in at 3,523 pounds with an automatic transmission and as the American automaker searches for ways to improve its sport car’s fuel efficiency, having the Mustang go on a diet is a main priority. According to a source close to the Mustang project, Ford is working on removing “a minimum of 400 pounds” for the next-generation ‘Stang.

Compare base apples to base apples. The new base car, the 4-banger, has a lot better chance at losing that weight (with the right transmission) over the weight of a current V6 AT Mustang. I know; I don't really think anything other than V8 when I read Mustang, either.

As for the decrease in proportions: I wouldn't be surprised to see the rear seat become useless, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it retained similar rear-seat space as the current car. While some decrease in interior space is likely, it's not a given that all 6" will be taken from the passenger's space. Better packaging could see the space remaining very similar while the exterior of the car takes the brunt of the decrease in width. It's not like our Mustangs are making the most of their available dimensions. But, hey, it's in keeping with the retro-style. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
Looks similar.

2015-Mustang-GT-Render-Blue-Mustang6G1.jpg

Wow, that rendering is really nice. Almost DB5ish to me. But, from the spy shots it doesn't look like we'll be getting a fastback.

I just want a factory turbo GT500 (or 350, whichever they go with).

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Number23 said:
As to these pictures, the first one, which shows the frontend and helmeted driver, it seems to be noticeably smaller.

Agreed. Seeing the helmet gives me the impression that it is about SN95 size.

Raymax said:
But, from the spy shots it doesn't look like we'll be getting a fastback.
That's just all the padding and crap they put on to hide the body lines. I'm surprised that the front is just skinned-over like they did. Maybe they feel that there's no secret about that with all the renderings that are out.

Grant 302 said:
Agreed. Seeing the helmet gives me the impression that it is about SN95 size.
That's just all the padding and crap they put on to hide the body lines. I'm surprised that the front is just skinned-over like they did. Maybe they feel that there's no secret about that with all the renderings that are out.
I just hope the engineers win the argument over the marketing guys on the grille this time. We don't need another air blockin' overheatin' engine killin' grille again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
I just hope the engineers win the argument over the marketing guys on the grille this time. We don't need another air blockin' overheatin' engine killin' grille again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Ha! that must be for winter...or some other season we don't have around here!

Grant 302 said:
That's just all the padding and crap they put on to hide the body lines.

Yeah, but looking at where the tent lies on the body, I really doubt that they're hiding a fastback under it. I hope i'm wrong though!

MLM said:
I agree. But from some earlier spy shots of the engine bay it sure doesn't look like the 5.8L is gonna fit anymore so maybe it's more of a nip-and-tuck job, a few inches here and there.

Rumour is that 2014 is the last year for the 5.8. If there is a future Shelby, it will be a 5.0 car apparently.

NewBossowner said:
Rumour is that 2014 is the last year for the 5.8. If there is a future Shelby, it will be a 5.0 car apparently.

The rumor I hear is the new Shelby is going to have a high revving, flat plane crank, coyote based, 5.3 - 5.4 motor.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Boss_302 said:
And a 5.0 with flat plane crank........a' la Ferrari

I'm guessing this is just a red herring. I think it was Motor Trend that printed that, but it's either disinformation from Ford or MT just reaching.

Ford didn't develop the Coyote/Roadrunner and make it ready for Direct Injection just to retire it after the MY2014.

TMO Supporting Vendors