The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2016 Ford Performance Parts Catalog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlqx

Mustangless
fuhrius said:
if anyone's interested in an R seat delete kit, contact me. I'll rip out your rear seats for you.

but seriously, I have an R and put a rollbar in it and am considering just selling the rear blockout panel instead of trying to re-install it.

I'm interested!

Re: 2016 Ford Performance Parts: GT350 Cooler Update

VoodooBOSS said:
Here's the latest I received today. Ford is very aware of the concerns with the base and tech pack owners that are disappointed that they cannot track their cars for very long. The solution will be complete but you'll need to be patient. I have great confidence that Ford will do this correctly and provide a solution that will solve the overheating issues. My read on this is the kits will be available after July 1st at the earliest.

"1. We are putting together a couple of packages to help. One will be all of the OEM trans parts. The track pack/R trans, lines, heat exchanger, brackets and fasteners. We are looking to offer it at a discount from the price one would have to pay when trying to piece it together at a dealership. It still won’t be cheap. But it will be a good easy fix.

2. Next, we are investigating a package that adds an external electric pump along with modified production plumbing and the production heat exchanger. We have it wired to just a switch that the operator would need to manually control.

We will be testing system number 2 pretty soon to verify function. But it will be quite a while before we can have it in production.

There is also a diff cooler kit based on the production parts with a manual switch in the works that will be tested at the same time. Also likely months from production."

I'm glad I have a track pack, but my opinion is they could program or change the BCM (body control module) and possibly use the steering wheel mode select button, they could program it to turn on the pumps when it's in sport or track modes. Therefore eliminating the possibility of the driver forgetting to turn on the pumps. Just my opinion.

8250RPM said:
I'm glad I have a track pack, but my opinion is they could program or change the BCM (body control module) and possibly use the steering wheel mode select button, they could program it to turn on the pumps when it's in sport or track modes. Therefore eliminating the possibility of the driver forgetting to turn on the pumps. Just my opinion.
They looked into using the PCM but I didn't post their comments. Bottom line is there are differences between the cars and it's too complicated so they aren't pursuing that.

While I was going back and forth with Ford Performance about a separator issue I asked about the RSD and got a similar response. Hearing pretty much the same thing from two people is uplifting and definitely raises my confidence level that it may actually happen. Thanks for sharing Rick. Good job bringing home some bacon. :-X

VoodooBOSS said:
In other news Ford Performance parts news the R rear seat delete kit is "in process" but no ETA.

I also asked about the R front splitter and they are looking into it. I hope to have an update on this soon.

@Tob

Tob said:
While I was going back and forth with Ford Performance about a separator issue I asked about the RSD and got a similar response. Hearing pretty much the same thing from two people is uplifting and definitely raises my confidence level that it may actually happen. Thanks for sharing Rick. Good job bringing home some bacon. :-X

I purchased the Ford RSD a few months ago and installed it. It's worth waiting for "IF" the price comes down. It's a easy installed and of course is oem. But it's expensive for a molded carpet piece.

VoodooBOSS said:
Here's the latest I received today. Ford is very aware of the concerns with the base and tech pack owners that are disappointed that they cannot track their cars for very long. The solution will be complete but you'll need to be patient. I have great confidence that Ford will do this correctly and provide a solution that will solve the overheating issues. My read on this is the kits will be available after July 1st at the earliest.

"1. We are putting together a couple of packages to help. One will be all of the OEM trans parts. The track pack/R trans, lines, heat exchanger, brackets and fasteners. We are looking to offer it at a discount from the price one would have to pay when trying to piece it together at a dealership. It still won’t be cheap. But it will be a good easy fix.

2. Next, we are investigating a package that adds an external electric pump along with modified production plumbing and the production heat exchanger. We have it wired to just a switch that the operator would need to manually control.

We will be testing system number 2 pretty soon to verify function. But it will be quite a while before we can have it in production.

There is also a diff cooler kit based on the production parts with a manual switch in the works that will be tested at the same time. Also likely months from production."

I have a very hard time understanding this high temp problem. I just don't get it!
Now it will be at the expense of the owner to sort out these problems??
We all know that heat is the enemy and yet the heat is still a problem.
Nothing worse that having your dream car to run on the track now and then while making your payments to the bank and having heat problems.
Thank god the stock MT-82 and clutch drawings for the Boss found its way to the paper recycling machine.
Rant over. My thoughts go out to the new owners.
Keep a log and notify Ford every time you have heat problem for yourself.
I just hope the heat has no ill effects on the FPC.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Here is my rant in response.

In you log book, the one you log heat issues, note the fact that you should have bought a Track Pack car. You know, the car in which Ford built in extra cooling to specifically address track related heat issues.

Don't blame Ford for offering a solution.......that was not selected by the owner.

Rant over....sort of.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Anyone know if our S550 GT's have these self preservation nannies for the trans and diff? I do notice a temp sensor on my diff cover, would be great to know what it outputs and if it's gonna limp the engine if it gets too warm. We have run MT-82s and regular 8.8s without monitoring for 6 years on track, all of a sudden they need to be protected from themselves? And on the GT350? Ford has realized their error for 2017, I would hope that a retrofit kit as at least a partial TSB would be given to 2015/16 owners. Parts free, just labor cost to add.
Steve
IMG_2728_zpsgdu84yva.jpg

I in no way see a TSB forthcoming. It'd be nice but I don't see it.

Input shaft speeds have been increased somewhat with the higher rpm's that the 5.2 is capable of and I believe that is why you don't see the same issue with the MT82 behind the lower revving 5 liter engine.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Steve: You are going to want a diff cooler on that car once you start tracking it. I have a friend who was one of the engineers on S550 and says that a diff cooler is a must for track dogs due to the reduced fluid volume in the IRS pumpkin.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaBOSS said:
Steve: You are going to want a diff cooler on that car once you start tracking it. I have a friend who was one of the engineers on S550 and says that a diff cooler is a must for track dogs due to the reduced fluid volume in the IRS pumpkin.

Drew I haven't looked but the fill capacity is reduced because there are no axle tubes? Would make sense I guess. I will probably put together a system based on the GT350 setup.
Steve

mattlqx

Mustangless
VoodooBOSS said:
The new Ford Performance SS license plate frame is now available. I don't see one available in black yet.

Part # M-1828-SS304C

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/part/M-1828-SS304C

That only took a year. :) But I really would like one in black! I got this guy currently and really like it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321043760560?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l500.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors