The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2016 Ford Performance Parts Catalog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some new (to me) news:
I'm particularly interested in the track key - I'm guessing it'll have an rev-mathing feature...but if it'll do anywhere near as much to the character of the GT350 as the Boss's track key, I'm in. Big throttle body...sure. 'Suspension mods?' How about some camber plates. Louder exhaust? yikes. My car already scares everyone. ;-)
Bettering the Best
Ford Performance Parts is developing a host of Shelby GT350 upgrades
By Steve Turner
Photos by Steve Turner and courtesy of Ford Performance

Hopefully you enjoyed our in-depth look at the work that Ford Performance engineers put into developing the Shelby GT350’s efficient intake manifold. Via the use of computer-aided engineering, they were able to create a scroll-style intake that supports 526 horsepower in the GT350, fits under the stock hood, and makes for a great bolt-on upgrade for the Voodoo 5.2 engine’s 5.0-liter Coyote cousins.

In the process of researching the intake story with Ford Performance Parts engineer Dave Born, we discovered that the engineers at FPP have a few upgrades headed our way, including some larger throttle bodies to make the GT350 manifold even more effective. It turns out that these bigger throttle bodies aren’t all the factory’s hot-rodding division has in store for us. They actually have quite a few upgrades in development for owners of the Shelby GT350.

Yes, while some purists consider it perfect right off the dealer lot, there are many of us—we are looking at you SVTP readers—that might want even more performance out of the factory’s top-tier Mustang. For that group, we have a lot of good news…

As you may know, one of the first upgrades Ford Performance Parts offered was a rear seat upgrade kit for owners of Shelby GT350Rs that wanted space for more passengers. While that kit services a small niche, it’s great to know that there will soon be something for owners of standard-issue GT350s that don’t want any backseat drivers.

“We’ve got an exclusive backseat kit for the R customer that wants one that matches perfectly (M-63840-MS),” Dave said “And a rear-seat delete kit based off the R is coming soon.”

Another upgrade that just hit the Ford Performance Parts shelves is an oil separator kit that is made just for the GT350.

“We have just released air-oil separators for the GT350,” Dave said. “The passenger side works on all Coyote engines, while the driver’s side part is specific to the GT350.”

Keeping oil contamination out of the air path of the high-revving Voodoo engine is definitely a worthy cause for an upgrade, but it’s the other parts in development that really got our engines revving.

FPP engineers are considering suspension upgrades, but nothing is finalized there, but what is coming is a way for track rats to keep their non-Track Pack, non-R-model GT350s’ temperatures under control during extended track sessions.

“We have seen many of the customers that didn’t choose the Track Pack or the R are so excited about the performance of their cars that they are taking their base and Tech Pack cars to the track. Those cars do not have transmission and differential coolers and are able to get their temperatures to the limits pretty quickly,” Dave explained. “We are developing kits for these customers using the production parts or modified versions of the production parts to improve the cooling for these cars.”

That’s definitely great news for owners of pre-2017 GT350s, and for those that want to further hone the performance of these cars, FPP also has a more aggressive exhaust and a shorter shifting mechanism in the works.

“While the production dual-mode exhaust is really cool and sounds great, we are working on a more aggressive muffler with our partners at Borla,” Dave said. “These new parts will both look and sound great.”

With its exhaust in the open mode, the GT350 is already the best-sounding factory Mustang we’ve ever heard, so we can’t wait to hear what these new mufflers sound like. Along those lines, the factory shifter in these cars is pretty solid, but we could always go for quicker shifts.

“We are developing a revised short-throw shifter for the GT350 in a similar fashion to our 2015 GT shifter,” he said. “It provides increased feel with shorter throws for spirited driving. We are looking at a 17-percent reduction in throw, but that could change before it’s released.”

Speaking of changes, you may have wondered if the GT350 might receive a TracKey calibration upgrade like its Boss 302 and Mustang GT cousins did. While we don’t know exactly what this version will offer, it turns out that a more aggressive Ford Performance calibration is definitely in the works.

“…A version of TracKey is under development for GT350 that we are very excited about,” Dave said.

Naturally, if you are included to more performance offered by something called a TracKey, you might just be included to bolt on some sticky tires and head to the racetrack, which might be more than the stock halfshafts bargained for.

“Our very popular halfshaft upgrades for the new S550 platform required a minor revision to work with the revised suspension on the back of the GT350. Those parts will be available shortly,” he explained. “These parts (PN M-4130-MA for the pair) are a great upgrade for the drag racers using sticky tires at the track. And, they come with a lifetime warranty, so the racers can feel confident that they will really hold up to track abuse.”

So, Ford Performance Parts engineers are busy tweaking away to make the one of the best Mustangs ever built even better, and it will fun to see how these upgrades change the personality of the Shelby GT350.

Nice but all of that except the exhaust was reported on TMO months ago. ;)

I got some from this guy:
http://stickyzombie.com/

They fit perfectly and were super easy to install.

The icing on the cake was that I didn't receive this first shipment of them, and it could have been my fault as easily as theirs, and I offered to pay again for the second set, but he sent them to me free of charge and, again, perfect fit. For all of like $8.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel