The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2017 Camaro ZL1 First Impressions Video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I happened upon a ZL1 in the parking lot today. Quick video of my first impressions. One thing I did note is the aggressive tires on the car. Looking at the tread design it looks nearly as aggressive as a Cup 2 tire. I also went on tirerack's website and this is a bespoke tire designed only for the Camaro. No doubt the ZL1 and SS 1LE would be a few seconds slower on a PSS like the standard 350 comes with. I would like to get both cars on track on the same tire to do a true apples to apples comparison. Let me know what you guys think and please subscribe to our channel. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZyEgLSX2c

Hi

ZL !. It kicks ass. It is on a Holden Commodore V8 trans am race car chassis after all. Right.

It will beat my times and the times of the 2 OEM Gt 350 Rs' (since I beat the 350R times) at the Fontana Roval track. It also put down a Nurburing time faster that the 350R.

I run a pretty much stock 2014 Shelby Gt 500 but with a Cortex watts link and brake cooling ducts and I run a 1:54.5 at Fontana AAA speedway. With OEM Good years. The fronts last 1 1/2 events before they peal the outer 1" of tread.

OEM vs OEM...........

The 350 needs a bit more power and a lot less weight. Shame, I wanted a 350!!

BTW, our local dealer has one with a $10K mark up over the way it's equipped. $77,480.00 plus California taxes and fees.

One born every minute, so they'll get it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I was curious what they are actually going for price wise. I wish we could get those goodyears on the camaros in mustang sizes too. They look like a great tire that you can still drive on the street but no doubt they are a lot faster than the Pilot Super Sports.

Adam

That tire is probably similar to SC2's or Trefeo R's which are available in proper Mustang fitment. Not to mention R7's. I'm probably going to try the Trefeo R next.

I think the Camaro looks good. Obviously GM did their homework. Let's hope the new GT500 can keep up.

TMO Supporting Vendors