The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2017 Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thread for photos and updates.

So will we see the next great Mustang unveiled at this years show? News about a new GT500, Mach 1 or whatever it will be has been very quiet. If we're going to see a new model for 2018 this is probably the last opportunity to announce it. I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108106_2017-detroit-auto-show-preview

2017-detroit-auto-show-preview_100587400_m.jpg

mattlqx

Mustangless
I agree with the carryover of the GT350 for MY18, there probably won't be a new macdaddy Mustang announced. We will see the S550 facelift though, so that's something. Gotta wait another year (or at least until LA auto show in November/December) for a Mach or GT500. Regardless, something is coming before the end of the S550. There's no way Ford will come close to their number of X performance vehicles before 2020 if they don't. Not to say that simply not living up to that promise isn't an option either.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Ford went 5 full model years with the S197 before a sheetmetal update('05-'09). Same for SN95('94-'98). I really doubted much change for '18 and still skeptical about significant changes for '19.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Grant 302 said:
Ford went 5 full model years with the S197 before a sheetmetal update('05-'09). Same for SN95('94-'98). I really doubted much change for '18 and still skeptical about significant changes for '19.

The cadence has changed with the One Ford initiative, global platforms on a six-year cycle with mid-facelift is the way it goes now. See Focus and Fusion. The Mustang is now on it as well. The S650 in 2020 will be a whole new car.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
mattlqx said:
The cadence has changed with the One Ford initiative, global platforms on a six-year cycle with mid-facelift is the way it goes now. See Focus and Fusion. The Mustang is now on it as well. The S650 in 2020 will be a whole new car.

Between '14 to '16, Focus outsells Mustangs by roughly 2 to 1. Fusion about 3 to 1. Vastly different programs there. Have you seen any official Ford communication otherwise?

mattlqx

Mustangless
Surprised it doesn't look like it'll be announced in Detroit (but you never know, there's still a week left), but here's some footage of the facelift. It's not very flattering. Of course, I'm partial to what I already own, but I don't see any improvements to what they've tweaked. Nothing from the GT350 appears to carryover into the S550 facelift, except what appears to be a lower front hoodline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d791O_O1UT4

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There are going to be some big reveals from Dodge at the New York Auto Show ( Demon for one ) and more and more manufacturers are considering the Big Apple. With the city's global appeal and many models already launched ( at the Detroit Event) , major manufacturers are looking at New York as a stellar show to bring out their starlets without as much competition in the spotlights! So , who, knows maybe a GT500 comes out to wage war against a Demon , and continue the beloved hp battle we all dearly love. I am a child of the 60s and I laugh about the muscle cars of old, today is the Battle Royale of power and performance --- we may never see the like of this again ( at least with fossil fuel based machines).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel