The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
+1 on the Motul DCTF in the MT82. Works better than anything else I've tried. The last recommendation I saw on Ford's service website was to use their DCTF in the MT82. The Motul product meets the Ford DCTF fluid standard. I've got 2 full seasons on the last trans rebuild using Motul DCTF and it seems to be hanging in there so far.
After a few years on BG, I switched to Amsoil last fall. Haven’t been too impressed by it. Will try Motul for my next event

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
After a few years on BG, I switched to Amsoil last fall. Haven’t been too impressed by it. Will try Motul for my next event
I try to change my Trans and diff fluids at every 10 000 km's or so to keep them fresh or like ones a season. The diff fluid is getting more abuse for sure.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
bnight,
Just my suggestion, but I would suggest to you and others to change your rear diff fluid more often than once a year or every
10,000 Kilometers/6200 miles if quite a bit of the time is on track. Since one mod many think they need is a diff cooler that is a clue that the fluid gets hot and it might be an area to address. Surprisingly I am not one who thinks it is an absolute necessity, but changing the fluid more often really is beneficial. Engineers from Dodge and Ford who have been friends over the past 30+ years have suggested changing the rear end fluid after 4 - 8 hours of track use. That is likely easier to figure than miles, but fluid is such an inexpensive cost , overall, that why not change it a bit more on the stressed areas?

Just my thoughts from Engineers who were the guys doing the testing on the performance machines of both makes and when one considers that the manual for the Boss 302S suggests 4 hours between fluid changes it give one the idea this is likely a good idea for optimal protection.

I do have one guy who thinks drivers who aren't really driving at the car's potential maybe could go 8 hours of tracking before a change, but the majority believe a shorter period is the safest. Similar to changing brake fluid after every weekend for aggressive drivers or likely no longer than 2.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
bnight,
Just my suggestion, but I would suggest to you and others to change your rear diff fluid more often than once a year or every
10,000 Kilometers/6200 miles if quite a bit of the time is on track. Since one mod many think they need is a diff cooler that is a clue that the fluid gets hot and it might be an area to address. Surprisingly I am not one who thinks it is an absolute necessity, but changing the fluid more often really is beneficial. Engineers from Dodge and Ford who have been friends over the past 30+ years have suggested changing the rear end fluid after 4 - 8 hours of track use. That is likely easier to figure than miles, but fluid is such an inexpensive cost , overall, that why not change it a bit more on the stressed areas?

Just my thoughts from Engineers who were the guys doing the testing on the performance machines of both makes and when one considers that the manual for the Boss 302S suggests 4 hours between fluid changes it give one the idea this is likely a good idea for optimal protection.

I do have one guy who thinks drivers who aren't really driving at the car's potential maybe could go 8 hours of tracking before a change, but the majority believe a shorter period is the safest. Similar to changing brake fluid after every weekend for aggressive drivers or likely no longer than 2.

22 laps yesterday which at 70 sec laps mean that I have like 25 minutes of track time on Saturday my season track time is less than 4 hours to be fair which mean that averaging with KM's is better for me. And my diff is working great I can tell you that after 4 seasons and 431 laps. First time I'm hearing I need to change my brake fluid after every weekend though. I change it when I feel the clutch is not engaging as it should.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Never really thought about changing my diff fluid but after reading Bill’s previous posts(like he echoed above) in other threads, I have added to my list every 3rd track day or so.

What brake fluid are you using? When I was using Motul, I bled the system after every event. $20 bottles and 20 minutes of my time would be worth it if it meant I had a firm brake pedal. Since switching to SRF I do it every other track day or every third day. Full flush once a year.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Biggsy is so correct on brake fluid and I also bleed after every system after each weekend --------Motul 600. If you only have around 4 hours total time on the track, but it is over 4 seasons you should be changing for time alone. Fluids age and you have likely had them quite hot over those 431 miles. Sorry to hear you were only able to get in around an hour of track time each year, I assumed you were able to track more in your Country.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
For the maintenance brake bleed, after each event, I need the fluid looking at the color. The fluid in the caliper will darken when Exposed to high temps. I attach a motive brake bleed bottle and watch the color through the hose. 3-4 pumps usually cleans the fluid up.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
What brake fluid are you using? When I was using Motul, I bled the system after every event. $20 bottles and 20 minutes of my time would be worth it if it meant I had a firm brake pedal. Since switching to SRF I do it every other track day or every third day. Full flush once a year.

Biggsy is so correct on brake fluid and I also bleed after every system after each weekend --------Motul 600. If you only have around 4 hours total time on the track, but it is over 4 seasons you should be changing for time alone. Fluids age and you have likely had them quite hot over those 431 miles. Sorry to hear you were only able to get in around an hour of track time each year, I assumed you were able to track more in your Country.

I use Motul 660 and I change to fresh fluid every few events or so. As I said I do this when I start feeling that my shifts are not perfect which usually indicate air in the system. I put fresh Motul 660 in the car in November 2022 just before putting it in winter storage. And the fluid was doing great on the track. Overall everything was doing great as it was good cold weather.

Regarding track time last season I only manage to do like 20 or so laps just because my brake pads were not able to keep up with the car performance R10 are not good enough for Nankang Level of grip. But this was in September so I just decided to not drive more that season. And my pre summer events were limited to only Serres because I spend 3 months getting the suspension, tires and wheels at order. This season I hope to be able to get a lot more laps as I have 5 events planed on Dracon, probably 1 event on Serres and hopefully a few days at Nurburgring in September. I hope the car will hold well.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Free Day Dracon - 05.05.2023

So a lot of things happen after the Dracon Cup in March. First I finally ordered new rotors for the car. Decided to go with OEM rotors as they were super cheap so installed new OEM rotors and put new Motul RBF700 in the car this made the clutch pedal soft again which was super nice and I started bedding in the new rotors.

Interestingly during driving the car decided to develop annoying vibration on 5th over 3000 rpm but only on 5th I was puzzled on what was going on here. Ether way I decided is not a big deal.

Something else that I did was to take the car to the Dyno to see how my engine is doing and to get a starting number for the upcoming performance increases which are long overdue and really needed. So when to the dyno and when we were strapping the car we find out I have an exhaust leak on both mufflers I guess this is a sign :).

image.jpeg

Looks like motor is good torque is in N-m.

My friend with the Lexus ISF actually sold the car and bought a new Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with PDK.

IMG_2114.jpeg

So naturally we needed to know what laptime this car can do in it's stock form which also include a PZero tires. He bought the car hoping to get a shot at better lap times than the Mustang. So when he said that he is going to the track I naturally decided to go with him. We set the date on 05.05.2023 I rotated my front right with my rear left and put my Apex wheels on and was ready for the track. It was a lovely drive following this beautiful yellow Porshe on the highway to the track. Also no 5th gear vibration I guess my OEM tires are out of balance or bend will need to check them.

We want to the track not knowing if it's going to be wet or dry because the weather is very unstable at the moment. It was amazing weather dry and sunny and we were the only two cars on the track so early so we manage to enjoy a lot of track free laps. I did a 24 laps in 3 sessions but even though the air was 64F I manage to see CHT temps up to 231F temps so naturally the car was pulling timing (I really need to fix my cooling issues). The brakes were doing fine but I still was feeling some brake fade if I push the car in 3 or 4 laps in a row but this could be same issue I had on Dracon (not bedded brake pads). My rear brakes are also dragging so this will be fixed before next event and could be contributing to the brakes overheating.

The lap times were another thing that was very interesting first session out the Mustang did 1:06.47 which was a new PB for me ether way I really want to push the car to that 1:05 barrier At the moment fastest car in my class is 1:04.4. The car was showing a predictable of 1:06.1 in my fastest lap but my last 2 corners totally destroyed the lap and I did a best lap of the day of 1:06.39 so close yet so far. The positive is that out of the 24 laps 9 were 1:06 laps so the hero run from the last time out is not only beaten but the car is very consistent 1:06 car.

IMG_2117.jpeg

How did the Porsche in his first outing. Turns out this Porsche is very fast we measured 100-200 km's runs in the 9.5 seconds while the Mustang is doing 12.4 seconds. So we knew it will be quick on the straight in fact it clocked 196 km/h while I only manage to did 183 km/h. However the PZero tires combined with the stock brakes were the limiting factor the car is a constant 1:06 car but it only did 1:06.65 before catching a nail in it's front left tire and cutting our day short.
Here is the comparison:
IMG_2126.jpeg

Overall I think it could have been ether's car day but I'm so happy that I can be close to the Porsche's on track with Stock Motor and almost stock weight.

Also this time I manage to successfully get a video out of the best lap though there is a lot to be desired out of the angle of the video, shakiness and sound:

On the way home from the track my clutch pedal got very hard I again have air in the system this is starting to get really annoying.

What is next:

Dracon Cup 2 Round is on 20.05.2023 and I hope to manage to do another free day on 18.05.2023 as I need to clean my driving since the E36 improved it's lap times to 1:05.3 and a friend of mine with his A45 AMG is also in the competition with a new set of Nankang tires he did a best of 1:05.03 on a very old set of Nankang's so he will probably be on 1:04 this time out.

The car is having a few issues that needs addressing:

1. Rear brakes are constantly dragging - will install the new calipers that I got from RockAuto like 10 months ago.
2. Brakes bleeding to get the clutch to where is not hard anymore as when you pump the clutch you can feel the brake pedal going to the floor so Air in the system.
3. Need to fix the exhaust hope my friends in Kraft that fixed it last time will be able to do there magic again.

Long Term (summer 2023) plans:

1. Fix the cooling of the engine this should be number 1 priority. Mishimoto are selling a very nice kit that has a new radiator in it, oil cooler, thermostat, hoses etc that sounds like a good enough solution for now.
2. New Aluminium Driveshaft (I know my driveshaft is broken since April of last year I need to stop postponing this upgrade). Will probably go with Steeda on this one.
3. Finally figure out what to do with the Engine in the car my initial plan was for PP3+Catback (Kooks 3" X-Pipe).

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
To be fair to your friend P Zeroes are as lousy on a Cayman GTS as they have been on a Mustang. Solid runs by you and you have the right to be quite pleased.
Zero is a perfect name for them and let us know how soon your friend trashes the Pee-rell-eeees and gets some good rubber on the GTS.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
To be fair to your friend P Zeroes are as lousy on a Cayman GTS as they have been on a Mustang. Solid runs by you and you have the right to be quite pleased.
Zero is a perfect name for them and let us know how soon your friend trashes the Pee-rell-eeees and gets some good rubber on the GTS.
he did pick a nail in one of the front tires so I guess really soon he will be moving to Cup 2 I guess. I'm sure he will be moving up now with the better car and 1:06.65 is really solid time considering how much it took me to get my car to that level. It's remarkable how fast the new cars are. I have a friend with a new G82 M4 and with just a racechip (+105 hp) that car on stock Michelin PS4s did 1:04.8. I just can't see the Dark Horse selling well in Europe anymore.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting thought on the " Darkhorse " from someone in Europe and if you are basing that on the looks, I too was not that impressed by the changes. Pretty typical view when there is a reasonably big model change, but in person the car look quite a bit better. To be honest, if you are talking track performance I feel it will not be affected by that at all , since we Trackrats often fail to realize we are only a small 10-20% of the buying population. In fact after years of selling performance cars, I may be estimating too high. No doubt we are some of the most passionate owners. I will be selling my car soon, and it is funny, even a couple of the Dealers I know are confused why my car is worth more with Cloth Recaro seats, no leather and no NAV. They have no true understanding that is has the rare " Handling Package " and is a GT 350 without Voodoo power. Heck, Dealers could not even order the package for most of 23 and most Dealers were not intend to what the package entailed. There was not a single one available a few months back in a 5 State area in the Midwest, but tell someone on this site that you have a Mach 1 with the " Handling Package " and they all know what it is.

The Darkhorse will appeal to those who like the name , and yes the looks, but you are correct about the serious track enthusiasts, they may not be that interested in the beast.

Considering your friend with the Cayman GTS , he has to know that regardless of the Pee-rell-eeezz he needs to work on his driving skills, since he weighs a ton less than you, has the advantage of the PDK, and has almost the same horsepower. You have to feel pretty dang good hanging with him and I imagine other drivers at your track constantly notice how fast you are with the GT!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I will be selling my car soon, and it is funny, even a couple of the Dealers I know are confused why my car is worth more with Cloth Recaro seats, no leather and no NAV. They have no true understanding that is has the rare " Handling Package " and is a GT 350 without Voodoo power. Heck, Dealers could not even order the package for most of 23 and most Dealers were not intend to what the package entailed. There was not a single one available a few months back in a 5 State area in the Midwest, but tell someone on this site that you have a Mach 1 with the " Handling Package " and they all know what it is.

The Darkhorse will appeal to those who like the name , and yes the looks, but you correct about the serious track enthusiasts, they may not be that interested in the beast.

Considering your friend with the Cayman GTS , he has to know that regardless of the Pee-rell-eeezz he needs to work on his driving skills, since he weighs a ton less than you, has the advantage of the PDK, and has almost the same horsepower. You have to feel pretty dang good hanging with him and I imagine other drivers at your track constantly notice how fast you are with the GT!

In Europe we will not get the Handling Pack same as the Mach 1. We might not get the 500 hp motor ether because I doubt Ford will license both power plants for Europe as this is money. Then there is pricing the Mach 1 was 70 000 euro car and I can see a dark Horse been more than that maybe 75 000 euro. At that price point you can get the new BMW M2 which probably without options will be cheaper than the Dark Horse. My feeling is that the M2 will offer more track performance than the Dark Horse out of the gate. And then if you spend more you have all the M3/M4's that are considerable faster than that.

Time Attack here as you can see from my posts is really dominated by BMW mostly the old M2's and M4's because this are 700 whp monsters. With that been said I think the issue with the S650 selling in Europe will be mostly the BMW's aggressive pricing of the M2 though M2 is a different car.

I'm happy to be able to run similar lap times as a stock Cayman GTS or a stock G80 M3/M4 and this is noticeable on track but still in my class I'm like 2 second off pace the M4 with the 5.9 seconds 100-200 is doing 1:04.4 the E36 2.0T is doing 1:05.3, my friend with the A45 AMG is doing 1:05.0. I'm still only doing 1:06.4 or so which with driving I probably could get down to 1:05.9 but still I need to find another 1.5-2 seconds if I want to be as fast as them and this is before the new M3/M4's come up and start modding because on a normal tire they are 1:04.8's if they switch to 100TW tires and get into my class they will probably be around 1:02 lap times and I don't know how I can make the Mustang do such lap times at least not while staying N/A. Currently I'm the only N/A car in the whole field in this class. May Cayman GTS friend is not in the same class because of tires TW he is in the pure Street Class which there is a good chance he will dominate with the Cayman easy.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I find Porsche curious in one aspect, they spend a lot of time with some Manufacturers getting Porsche specific tires and they definitely know which ones work the best , yet it is not unusual for a Cayman GTS to come to the US with Pirellis, Dunlops or Michelins. The Michelin is the tire everyone hopes for , but there is absolutely no real choice of tire except on a very few machines --like a GT4RS. If your friend stays in a stock Class, he should go to another stock tire when the Pirellis fall apart ( that could be soon, ha ) as he may go even quicker. I run against some of the similar cars you do on the track so you are doing a very, very good job staying ahead of some M3s and even a GTS. That takes skill, in my mind, as your car is so much heavier!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Fixing my Braking issues

So as I mentioned in the post regarding my 05.05.2023 track day I was having some issues with my brakes most noticeably was the dragging from the rear brakes which also included my dust boots were torn on the rear callipers so since there is no repair kit (turns out there is one now) my only viable option was to replace the callipers. Last year I ordered 2 new callipers from RockAuto but never get the chance to install them.

Decided I'm done with the annoying squeak at the back (this turned out to be rear pads) I asked a friend to install the new ones. We did installed them but were not able to do a proper brake bleeding for some reason. I agreed to take the car without proper bleeding as it was still able to stop but not enough. I then drove the car to the dealer so they could properly bleed it.

The dealer not only didn't bleed the car properly but managed to dent my passenger door in some wired accident luckily nobody was hurt in the accident but the car needed a travel to the PDR shop this was happening in the week leading up to the 20.05.2023 Dracon Cup. After that I give the car to my tire shop but they also were not able to bleed the car properly. So I had to miss the Dracon Cup.

I did notice that my brake callipers were leaking fluid from the bleeder valves though.

IMG_2528.jpeg

So decided to do what a lot of people here do and order Sthalbus bleed valves:

IMG_2579.jpeg

However after the dealer installed them and another few bottles of Motul RBF660 we figured out that the callipers actually need to be replaced.

I ordered 2 new callipers from RockAuto though the ones they sell are Black with Red lettering when mine were silver with white lettering. I also ordered new Brake Master Cylinder. Finally after a month or so of waiting all the parts arrived and everything was installed as it should. Though by the time I was ready with the car was already July. I packed some bags and went to the sea side for a Friend's weeding and some vacation:

IMG_3079.jpeg

During the vacation I noticed that my car was having wired electrical gremlins. So after I got back in the City I ordered a new Battery (I was probably the last one on the stock battery which at that point was over 6 years old). But by the looks of it my braking issues were resolved (minus the squeaking at the back).

With that in mind I decided to do a track day in August 12.08.2023 despite the raging heat wave in Europe with the idea to test the brakes and validate that my brakes are really fixed (no way to test on the street though preliminary tests looked good).

Free Day Dracon - 12.08.2023

A friend of mine who live in Germany and organised the lovely track day on Serres last year asked me if I wanted to join an event he is organising on Dracon on 12.08.2023. With the need for track time I reluctantly agreed. Ever since my last season Ford Fest I had promised to a friend who owns a beautiful EU Spec Mach 1 A10 to take him with me at the track and show him how to start driving. I decided now is the time and asked him to join me.

So I put the track tires on inspected the car (my oil had seen better days) and we traveled to the track. Since we didn't manage to have enough cars to rent the track for us the track owners opened the track for everyone in the form of a free track day. There were 20 cars on track this day but most importantly most of the cars in my class were there. So was going to be interesting and fast track day.

I was hoping that the braking issues were resolved and I would have a chance to improve to 1:05 lap time. Even though it was 86F hot summer day in the middle of August. I put my pressures down, set my coilovers new settings as I somehow lost my previous ones and got on track for my first session. We agreed to split the day at 3 groups fast 1:00 to 1:06, 1:06 to 1:12 and slow group. My friends asked me to join the fastest group but since I didn't have enough time to prep the car I decided to drive in the second group.

My first session I did a very reasonable 1:07.59 in my second lap by which time my CHT was up to 235F so I did cool down for like 2 laps before doing 1 final fast lap but it was ultimately slower 1:07.83.
Since my friend with the Mach 1 was in the slowest session I jumped out of my car and in the passenger seat of his car to show him the track and give him pointers. He was having a blast running his car fast on the track for first time. The Mach 1 is amazing in stock form for a track the A10 does a reasonable good job at Sport+ to keep the car in the rpm band, the Magneride is doing great job at keeping the car planted and on point and the engine is as we know amazing. He manage to do 1:20 as a first session.

We waited for the fast cars session then which included the fastest M2 and BMW in Bulgaria doing 1:01.060 , A Toyota Supra doing 1:03, A Mercedes GTR doing 1:04.8, A friend of mine with a M2 in my class doing 1:05.029 (new personal best) and a Honda Civic with K24 full slick insane aero and fully stripped doing 1:05.1

I hoped for the Second session witch was my fastest for the day with 1:07.17 again with very high CHT's 240F interestingly the Mach 1 was also having the same CHT's but was able to recover down to 203 CHT in just half a lap where I was able to recover down to 219F in two laps.

When I exited the car to get on track with my friend he asked me to do a lap with the Mach 1 first and then we switch so I can show him what car can really do. I obviously couldn't say no to that and jumped on the opportunity did a very reasonable 1:10.7 in a single lap with the owner in the car. After that he manage to improve his time to 1:13.8 not bad for first time on track.

Since it was already lunch time and with temps really rising high. I jumped to do another session but couldn't improve. However at the 3rd lap final corner my brakes got hard again I was able to stop but this showed that the brakes temps issues are still there.

I give the car an hour to cooldown and since the organisers BMW broke the rear subframe from the chassis and he was not able to drive I offered to give him a chance to drive the Mustang. So he jumped at the opportunity. Had a blast with the car and with me in it did a very reasonable 1:07.42 however he also was able to make the brakes hard after a few laps. He noted that the car handles impressive and it's really fast car that for sure in a colder weather will surely do 1:05.

I spend the afternoon giving rides to friends who also noted that the car handles really well which was my impression as well the data shows cornering G of 1.28.

During my sit down with the car today I noticed that the car burned through 200 ml of oil or so which considering the temps on track sounds really reasonable. There were no other apparent issues.

So what we learned from all of this:

1. I definitely need to figure out what is causing the hard brake pedal (though based on the sqeeking from the front brake pads today I guess they are overheating and glazing), next time will put the brakes paint I have to good use.

2. My driving was not where it should be which probably is understandable after 3 months without track time. But definitely not an excuse for that poor performance which based on lap times put me 6th out of 20 cars.

3. The car is working as it should braking is same as on the 05.05.2023 free day, the terminal speeds are also there though considering the temps maybe the acceleration even improved.

4. Mach 1 is amazing Mustang even in stock non-hp EU form with A10.

I'm really on a cross road where to go with the build and what my next events will be for sure there is a Ford Fest coming up on 01.10.2023 but becides that I need to decide on other events.

Next Mods:

1. I need some form of an engine cooling running only 2 laps a session sucks.

2. I need some form of brake cooling having hard pedal in brake zones sucks.

Overall next rounds of upgrades should be focused on one word Cooling.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Dracon Speed Cup Round 3 - 23.09.2023

With September near it's end was time for me to get back on track for Round 3 of Dracon Speed Cup. I missed round 2 since I had brakes issues. But with the brakes fixed and only 1 week till Ford Fest 2023 (01.10.2023) I wanted to validate car is good. My class was really strong with an M2, BMW 440i and the E36 that was faster than me in Round 1. With the weather forecast of 91F I wasn't expecting good lap times.

The only changes to the car since August were a new 5W20 oil (wonder if I should switch to 5W50) and I reduced the rebound on the shocks by 1 click around as in August I somehow messed up my shocks settings.

I was at the track at 8:51 just 10 minutes before the sign-up closes but manage to find good park space. The E36 stopped right next to me and we have a lovely time discussing between session. That car is really well prepped maybe even the best prepped E36 it's a 320 motor bored and stroked to 2.8L and with added turbo it's making 540WHP but it also have 295/30/18 AR-1's, brakes cooling, serge tank, full bucket seats, no rear seats etc. I guess the car is solid 500 kg less than the Mustang in weight as well.

Because there were a lot of cars registered 74 our first session was at 11:00. One of the first few session a car somehow loss his whole front left wheel and suspension which took a while to clean and remove from track. At 11:00 the air temp was 91F and we were 10 or so cars on track with 5 been in 1:05-1:06 range and the other 5 in 1:11 the traffic was an issue. My car reached 240F in the middle of 2nd lap which was a solid 1:06.726 (my best lap of the day) and solid 0.4 seconds better than August lap time of 1:07.17 so the shock settings were right I guess. In fact the lap was very close just 0.02 seconds slower after the first 2 sectors to my PB lap but I somehow messed up the last sector . This was good the car is solid minus the cooling issues. However the M2 did 1:04.935 the 440i 1:05.586 and the E36 1:06.122 so I was 4th and out of the podium by 0.6 seconds.

The Second session was at 13:00 and was already 95F. That session was complete nightmare in terms of traffic and I only did 1:07.309 and other cars also dropped times. I decided I will not run the 3rd session to not risk the engine. The only car that improved times in 3rd session was the E36 to 1:06.083. So overall I didn't missed much.

Good news was that the brakes were fine and I was really able to push and looks like the car is close to the PB times but this were done in 60F so I guess I was having braking issues in May as well. Hopefully the weather will be better next week.

I finished 4th in class and 7th overall out of 74 cars a lot of them on Slicks. Also Last year in the same round my time was 1:07.5 so the car is improving.

Here is the mandatory video:

However I'm not sure I can fight with the turbo BMW cars while staying N/A because of the weight penalty the Mustang is having.

What is next:

01.10.2023 - Ford Fest I plan to keep the car the same by the looks of it it works fine hopefully with colder weather better driving I can finally reach that 1:05 time.

Have few more events planned after that as well.

I will need to figure out the cooling have some plans but not sure what direction to take yet.

Also does anyone have an advice regarding the TOB looks like it's not doing good job I'm currently running Exedy Pro-Kit (whatever that is) and an Exedy TOB but it's starting to give me issues like hard clutch pedal after track days. If anyone know of a TOB better suited for track use will be great. I'm going RST for my next clutch for sure.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Out of curiosity what tires were you running? Congrats, it sounds like you are getting plenty out of your Mustang against lighter cars with even more horsepower.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Also does anyone have an advice regarding the TOB looks like it's not doing good job I'm currently running Exedy Pro-Kit (whatever that is) and an Exedy TOB but it's starting to give me issues like hard clutch pedal after track days. If anyone know of a TOB better suited for track use will be great. I'm going RST for my next clutch for sure.
OEM TOB seems to be the way. Have you tried replacing your clutch master cylinder?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Out of curiosity what tires were you running? Congrats, it sounds like you are getting plenty out of your Mustang against lighter cars with even more horsepower.
The whole class is running Nankang AR-1's mine were the oldest one with over 100 laps on them. They hold reasonably well even at that wether can't wait for the new Nankang CR-S to be available next year as they are supposed to be faster and not have as much noise on the street.

TMO Supporting Vendors