The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2017 GT350 Track Alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New Jersey
Sorry if this topic was discussed before, but I need advice on a "realistic" track alignment for a 2017 GT350 (non R).

The supplement in the 2017 owners manual specifies -1.50 front camber for track days, but I was advised to use no less than -2.00 front camber for track use. But if I use -2.00 front camber, what should the other settings be? I noticed that the "2019" supplemental manual shows much more aggressive track settings, but will this work for my 2017 vehicle/suspension...?

I don't want to change "only" the Ford recommended track camber specs without knowing what the other settings should be too. Is there any difference between the 2017 and 2019 GT350 (non R) models? If not, why did they change the recommended track alignment specs for later manufactured GT350s?

Thanks in advance.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Welcome to the group and a topic that is pretty important. Too little camber and your tire budget is going to go through the roof and your corner speeds will be in the basement! Most non-racer people blanch at what we run for camber in serious track day or race cars.

I'm assuming you have camber plates? If not, they are job #1 if you intend to spend much time on track.

I would say that most serious track guys will tell you -2 camber is not nearly enough camber for track work at or anywhere near the limit of cornering speed. -3 should be considered the minimum for serious track work, and if you can get more than that you should. I run -3.5 and am looking for more, -4 is my target this year.

Caster is not something that most people do anything with, it's not easily adjustable on most late model Mustangs.
Toe comes down largely to personal preference, but it's generally somewhere between +1/16" and -1/16" total.
Those are all front numbers, the rear is another topic and not as important as the front, at least in the beginning anyway.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New Jersey
The tech folk at Ford Performance always tell you to just stick with the specs in the Supplemental Manual, because they are designed for that specific vehicle. But those numbers are simply too conservative (-1.50 front camber for the 2017 base GT350). Even the Ford track recommended front camber for the 2020 GT500 are only -2.0 degrees.

Ford Service was somehow able to achieve the -1.50 front camber without the optional camber plate kit. Strangely enough, it came that way from the factory, and others have reported this too. I do have the FP M-3050-A Adjustable Strut Mount Kit on backorder from last August, and plan to have it installed when it arrives in April so that I can set the front camber past -1.50 degrees.

For now, I guess that I will only play around with the front and rear camber and leave the other settings alone. Hope this does not unbalance the vehicle...

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The tech folk at Ford Performance always tell you to just stick with the specs in the Supplemental Manual, because they are designed for that specific vehicle. But those numbers are simply too conservative (-1.50 front camber for the 2017 base GT350). Even the Ford track recommended front camber for the 2020 GT500 are only -2.0 degrees.

Ford Service was somehow able to achieve the -1.50 front camber without the optional camber plate kit. Strangely enough, it came that way from the factory, and others have reported this too. I do have the FP M-3050-A Adjustable Strut Mount Kit on backorder from last August, and plan to have it installed when it arrives in April so that I can set the front camber past -1.50 degrees.

For now, I guess that I will only play around with the front and rear camber and leave the other settings alone. Hope this does not unbalance the vehicle...

You can get -1.5 front without plates on most S550s, but we both agree that's not enough.
What other settings are you concerned about? There's not all that much adjustability in these cars, as delivered.
There's all kinds of aftermarket suppliers of well engineered camber plates. I run Vorshlag's (site sponsor) unit and it is one of the better ones out there. I don't know a single person who is running the Ford camber plates.

TMO Supporting Vendors