The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2017 Mustang GT novice weekend autocross warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, I’m hoping to one day be as involved as plenty of you are. I do autocross and track sprint. I want to slightly lower my GT a user either the FRPP dampers or a similar. I’m thinking a great choice for the springs it’s still the bmr sp083r. I should also add the bump stops and hardware.
i think the GT350r rear swap base is also a choice. I currently have the bmr front sway bar.
Is there anything I’m missing?
I read a lot of posts and confused myself further. The car is not a daily driver. It’s a fun car.
i want to be competitive. I just don’t want to waste money on things that don’t really help.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Sell the BMR bar and as @TMSBOSS recommended, install the Ford Perf track suspension kit...very capable for novices to experienced.

Grab a set of Vorshlag camber plates and take advantage of the Apex wheels group buy...you'll have a great starting place and something upon which you can build/grow .

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We all forgot to ask what are you running for tires, as that is the single best option to go faster and often the last thing folks address. The proper line to speed is tires/wheels , better brakes ( pads/fluids ), and seat time. Often we do motor , exhaust, suspension mods, and more before we ever address the things that will help the most earliest. That said I do agree with REA and TMS if you have already done those things.

The Apex buy, as RES noted, is over tomorrow and a great deal to slap sticky tires on.

We all forgot to ask what are you running for tires, as that is the single best option to go faster and often the last thing folks address. The proper line to speed is tires/wheels , better brakes ( pads/fluids ), and seat time. Often we do motor , exhaust, suspension mods, and more before we ever address the things that will help the most earliest. That said I do agree with REA and TMS if you have already done those things.

The Apex buy, as RES noted, is over tomorrow and a great deal to slap sticky tires on.
Looks like I missed the buy by a week. This is my 3rd summer doing this. I still feel very green. I’m running 285 rival 1.5s on stock pp wheels. I’ll upgrade the wheels after I burn these tires up.
My intention is to lower my car no more than an inch, I have street wheels and tires 19x10/11 with mps4s tires that are for regular duty.
I read up on a bunch of things posted on several forums about suspensions. I’m not good enough yet to move to JRi coil overs. I think learning what you have is important.
i also prefer linear springs.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No today is the last day of the buy in on Apex wheels, so you did not miss it at all ......last minute maybe, but you can get in today.

Honestly, then before buying a bunch of other stuff consider better wheels, and maybe a set of new, wider Rival S 1.5s. Are you running stock pads or have you gone to an aggressive race pad? Also do you have a camber plate yet ( Vorshlag, M&M, Steeda, etc. )?

TMO Supporting Vendors