The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2017 V-6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello to all,

My name is Gary, I am in Batavia, Ohio, east of Cincinnati. Over my lifetime there have been 19 Fords in the driveway, never a Mustang, until now. Unfortunately, it's not mine, it's my daughter's. She brought it home a couple of weeks ago, and is rightfully proud of it. She's just about ready to turn 20. Lightning blue, 6spd auto, LS, other than that the usual bells and whistles. Beautiful car, well maintained.
I've been around the track game for over thirty years, did some club and vintage racing, all in what is now a 40 year old 911, full race. Not a bolt untouched by me many times. I'm slowing down now on track events (age 67), about ready to hang up the suit, gloves and helmet, and the 911, trailer, spares are for sale, and when it goes I'll get a new GT, back to my muscle car roots. Whether I track it or not remains to be seen, but I'll sure have a great ride to the grocery store. I also serve penance for my younger on track exuberance as being the Chief Driving Instructor for our region. I get to wag my finger at folks at the black flag station for what I used to do I suppose.
In any case, daughter, and wife will be treated to our October HPDE at Mid-Ohio. Daughter has one track event at MO under her belt, wife a true novice. Both have bugged me for several years to drive, but the 911 is not a forgiving car for a newbie (not to mention, neither know how to drive a manual transmission!). I have the luxury of being able to assign instructors to each (part of the job as CDI), and they will be in good hands. Happily, their two run groups do not run back to back during the day, so the car will get a chance to cool off between drivers. So, on to my questions, seeking advice. If all this were P car related, I'd be fine, but that's why you all can bring my education up to speed for the Ford.
I just bought daughter a new set of aftermarket wheels and tires for the street, thought the factory wheels (17" alloys) would be suited for the track. It has a set of about half worn out Hankook's on it, treadwear 700, rocks, should hopefully be forgiving enough for their low level of experience. I also bought a new set of rotors (Raybestos slotted), Hawk HP pads (not race), and stainless brake lines, and a couple of liters of Motul. I'll get those on in a while so all is bedded in long before the track date.
So, questions......................
1. Hoping these stock calipers can handle two days and two drivers, albeit both are not going to be pushing too hard like an advanced or instructor group. I can bleed daily if need be, throw fans on the rotors between runs if needed as well, as I have a garage at the track. Your opinions? Also any link or advice on proper bleeding procedures would be helpful. Brakes are my biggest concern.
2. The nannies, god love the nannies. As a general rule, our track policy, with instructors in the car, systems are on. Instructor out, you are on your own. However, in just perusing a couple of posts on Mustangs, I believe that with traction and stability on, you can really heat up the rears. So, advice needed. Can traction be turned off and stability left on? Understand Sport allows a little tail wagging? in Stability programming. Please advise.
3. Since this is October, weather should not be firecracker hot, heck, it's Mid-Ohio, it could snow (it has before). Any cooling concerns? I will have this coolant system flushed. Any advice on using Water Wetterer or other or a certain coolant? Car has 62K on it, tranny gets flushed at dealer next week, part of the sales deal, on their nickel.

For, now there's a lot I have thrown out. I thank you all for this forum, and greatly appreciate your help and advice. You all are welcome to join us at MO, look for OVRPCA first weekend in October, on Clubregistration.net We welcome all makes, not just Porsches. Since our event two weeks ago was limited to solo drivers and instructors only (uninstructed event due to COVID restrictions), our two lower run groups, novice and intermediate (D and C respectively) are about filled up for the fall, but plenty of room for A (solo) and B(solo). This is a three day event, Friday being a lapping day for qualified drivers. Saturday and Sunday normal run groups.

Best regards, and again, my thanks,

Gary

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Welcome to the forum Gary. Does the car have any performance options? Helps to know that to give a better guess on the probability of brake problems.

As far as nannies go, I just leave everything on and I have experienced zero problems with rear brakes. My rear pads right now are Hawk DTC30's with 7 track days on them and I'm hard pressed to measure 2-3mm of wear. But I work hard on keeping things hooked up and working, and if you do that the nannies aren't going to come on much if at all. Not bragging but my lap times are on par with the fastest time attack Mustangs around these parts so the car is driven quickly and the nannies have not caused me any issues at all. With two novice drivers I would think it would be best to keep them on for the first few days out.

BTW, I'm 68, took a long break from WTW racing and came back to cars doing lapping days a few years ago. I am really having a lot of fun with it, never too old to have fun in a car!

Welcome to the forum Gary. Does the car have any performance options? Helps to know that to give a better guess on the probability of brake problems.

As far as nannies go, I just leave everything on and I have experienced zero problems with rear brakes. My rear pads right now are Hawk DTC30's with 7 track days on them and I'm hard pressed to measure 2-3mm of wear. But I work hard on keeping things hooked up and working, and if you do that the nannies aren't going to come on much if at all. Not bragging but my lap times are on par with the fastest time attack Mustangs around these parts so the car is driven quickly and the nannies have not caused me any issues at all. With two novice drivers I would think it would be best to keep them on for the first few days out.

BTW, I'm 68, took a long break from WTW racing and came back to cars doing lapping days a few years ago. I am really having a lot of fun with it, never too old to have fun in a car!

As far as I know, no performance upgrades from bone stock. The auto trans had sport mode and paddle shifters. 3:15 limited slip axle. No shock or brake upgrades. Plain Jane V-6. Hopefully that helps. Maybe, after your reply, I take a year or so off, and put the helmet back on. Truthfully, what has gotten old is pulling all the surveying crap out of the F-150, loading up the trailer, the car, the truck, doing it again when I get home. The race car? Pretty much bulletproof after all these years. As one old racer told me a long time ago, "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and exuberance." Thanks for your help. Wait to hear more.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel