The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Boss 302? Let the rumors begin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just saw this article speculating on a new Boss coming our way.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/02/03/2018-ford-mustang-photo-suggests-new-boss-302-is-on-way.html

I think they're reading a bit too much into the photo. I don't see Ford spending tens of $millions to develop another Boss 302 as a track-oriented "halo car" with limited market appeal, when the GT350 already that fills that niche perfectly. Makes no sense. But, who knows?

The Boss in the background looks like a 2013, possibly the one-of-one "Magnetic" color Boss that was produced and, IIRC, auctioned off for a charity fund raiser back in 2013. So, perhaps they shot this photo spread and included that car for the background, and maybe that's even the owner's home. Again, who knows?

I think the GT500 is more likely but who knows. I fully expect the voodoo motor to only be used in the GT350 and not in any other car. Maybe the GT500 will be designed to complete with the ZL1 with a TT V8 and 750 HP and a new Boss 302 will be an all out very limited production track monster in the 14/15 Z28 vein? Whatever it is bring it on and soon!

1486138366515.jpg

have to agree with the above. The Boss is done and it now time for the Mach 1 or Bullitt.
Why would Ford want to produce another boss and risk that the car may not be what people want or accepted. The Boss was a huge hit and I would think Ford would want to leave it on that note without risking a disappointment.
I would love to see a Mach 1 to challenge the new Dodge Demon at 757hp.
here I thought 444hp in my Boss was the top of the horse power in 2010 when I put my money on the dealers desk. 7 years later were at 700+ with no end in sight. Would love to see a Mach 1 with 800hp. My even make me think about selling.
Wife will change that thought real quick.

byronj said:
Just to be a smart A$$!! I say Mustang II is next. HAHAHA with all these new "little" engines comes out it only makes clear since.

Oh God please no!!! Hahaha.

Now go rinse out your mouth with dishsoap for saying that.

Squash the new Boss rumor NOW!!!!! Ford did a great job bringing it back for 12/13..I know, I bought one with no regrets! The GT350 eclipsed the Boss performance (BIG TIME)...a new GT500 is due to out dual the Hellcat....that's my prediction......in the mean time enjoy what you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Pure speculation by the writer. I highly doubt there's going to be another Boss 302 soon. Another kind of Boss? Perhaps something to bring back the legacy of a 429? Not sure what kind of power plant but that would be cool.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
302BOB said:
Squash the new Boss rumor NOW!!!!! Ford did a great job bringing it back for 12/13..I know, I bought one with no regrets! The GT350 eclipsed the Boss performance (BIG TIME)...a new GT500 is due to out dual the Hellcat....that's my prediction......in the mean time enjoy what you got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now a '19/'20 pairing of Boss models *would* make them 30th anniversary editions...

TymeSlayer said:
Pure speculation by the writer. I highly doubt there's going to be another Boss 302 soon. Another kind of Boss? Perhaps something to bring back the legacy of a 429? Not sure what kind of power plant but that would be cool.

I've been wondering about that possibility. I think the current 5.2 dimensions calc'd out to 317 IIRC. Not sure what displacement would be good for a new Boss '9'.

Grant 302 said:
Now a '19/'20 pairing of Boss models *would* make them 30th anniversary editions...

I've been wondering about that possibility. I think the current 5.2 dimensions calc'd out to 317 IIRC. Not sure what displacement would be good for a new Boss '9'.

Ford is coming out with a brand new 7+ litre engine some time in 2019. That's pretty much the right dimension for a Boss 429.

TMO Supporting Vendors