The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Boss 302? Let the rumors begin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I don't believe Ford will come out with another Boss 302 production Mustang until they come up with another Boss race car program.

And at this point it's the GT350 and the new Mustang GT4 race programs.

For those of us with the S197 Mustang Boss 302's, our cars have a historic place in race history with Paul Brown, (RIP), Tiger Racing, and Ford Racing, (now Ford Performance when Paul won the triple crown Championships in the 2011 race season. Paul actually matched Parnelli Jones win record of the 1970 season.

As with the new Mustangs of today, those too were some exciting days in Ford Mustang racing history.

302 Hi Pro

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
superhero said:
Would love to see a Mach 1 with 800hp. May even make me think about selling Wife.
Fixed it for you.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Boss0960 said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/ford-agrees-to-invest-613-million-in-windsor-plant-as-part-of-new-labour-agreement/article32692218/

Quote from article:

"Ford agreed to spend $613-million in Windsor to prepare its Essex engine plant for a new, 7-litre engine. It also agreed to continue until 2020 to produce, at its Windsor engine plant, a 6.8-litre engine that was scheduled to go out of production."

Isn't the current 6.8L a V-10 engine used in Ford truck applications? I would think the 7.0L might also be a V-10 truck engine application, but it sure would be nice to see the return of a Ford 427 CID V-8!

302 Hi Pro

mattlqx

Mustangless
302 Hi Pro said:
Quote from article:

"Ford agreed to spend $613-million in Windsor to prepare its Essex engine plant for a new, 7-litre engine. It also agreed to continue until 2020 to produce, at its Windsor engine plant, a 6.8-litre engine that was scheduled to go out of production."

Isn't the current 6.8L a V-10 engine used in Ford truck applications? I would think the 7.0L might also be a V-10 truck engine application, but it sure would be nice to see the return of a Ford 427 CID V-8!

302 Hi Pro

I believe at this point the 6.8 V-10 is in production only for U-haul's trucks. (Yes, they buy enough of them that Ford will continue producing old things for them.)

It'd make a lot of sense of the 7.0 is an updated version of the old 6.8, even if it is exclusively for use by them. But this idea highlights why taking your rumors from UAW sources should be taken worth a grain of salt. They're very ambiguous.

I agree with Rick. I think the GT500 is next or whatever it is that Ford will call it is the next thing to be released.

I'm not too sure about the Bullitt though as that was created because the Boss program for the 3V couldn't live up to the heritage that the Boss put forth so they made that the Bullitt instead. I mean Ford was just cashing in on the cash cow that the 05-09 S197 was. They were selling about 100k of them a year until the Camaro and the Challenger was announced as all they had to do was add a few stickers onto the car for the most part and they could charge a few extra thousand dollars. I mean, I understand that the 50th anniversary of Bullitt is coming up in 2018, but I just feel like this might have been a design exercise for Ford. Who knows, I may be wrong I have been many times in the past.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel