The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 clutch kit retrofit in 2011 GT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone retrofit an oem 2018 clutch and flywheel into an 11-14 GT? I have an '11 GT that sees a lot of track days but is also very much a daily driver.

I have totally stock and original drivetrain at 150K miles. I'm still on the original clutch and trans and honestly, it's not been terrible imo - but I have a leaking rear main seal so I'm looking to kill 2 birds with one stone.

The one thing I would like is better high rpm shifting, especially when I redline 4th and shift to 5th (but again, I only rev to 7K, stock tune). But I also want the lightest possible pedal for street driving and smooth and quiet daily operation.

Since I only rev to 7K and have only stock torque, I'm thinking the oem 2018+ clutch and flywheel could be a good upgrade for me, does this make sense?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
I believe the input shaft was changed between the 2017-2018 model years and the 2018 clutch won't work in the earlier models. There is some info here https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/2018-gt-dual-disk-clutch.13031/

If you want a stockish feeling clutch with better high RPM manners then the Exedy Mach 500 is my recommendation. I have it on my car and have absolutely no issues on track or daily driving this car even with the lighted flywheel. No additional NVH.

Has anyone retrofit an oem 2018 clutch and flywheel into an 11-14 GT? I have an '11 GT that sees a lot of track days but is also very much a daily driver.

I have totally stock and original drivetrain at 150K miles. I'm still on the original clutch and trans and honestly, it's not been terrible imo - but I have a leaking rear main seal so I'm looking to kill 2 birds with one stone.

The one thing I would like is better high rpm shifting, especially when I redline 4th and shift to 5th (but again, I only rev to 7K, stock tune). But I also want the lightest possible pedal for street driving and smooth and quiet daily operation.

Since I only rev to 7K and have only stock torque, I'm thinking the oem 2018+ clutch and flywheel could be a good upgrade for me, does this make sense?
There are several 2011-2014 aftermarket clutch/flywheel kits that work just fine with discussion on many posts.

I believe the input shaft was changed between the 2017-2018 model years and the 2018 clutch won't work in the earlier models. There is some info here https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/2018-gt-dual-disk-clutch.13031/

If you want a stockish feeling clutch with better high RPM manners then the Exedy Mach 500 is my recommendation. I have it on my car and have absolutely no issues on track or daily driving this car even with the lighted flywheel. No additional NVH.
Thanks, I searched but hadn't found that thread. Disappointing.

I've searched all the aftermarket clutch threads and am aware of the Exedy. I don't love that it's a heavier pedal than stock, even if only slightly, but it seems like one of the best options.

TMO Supporting Vendors