The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Corvette Production

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I notice a news story that GM will cease 2018 Corvette production on January 22, 2018. 9,700 2018 Production run planned.

Bowling Green assemble plant to under go more improvements/changes.

Is this the change over to the mid-engine Corvette? Some protype spy shots have somewhat of a Ferrari flavor.

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Very likely. There was a "paint shop addition" in many millions of dollars slated for Bowling Green late last year that was very likely a thinly-veiled attempt to upgrade/retool portions of the factory for the mid-engine car.

Based on the spy shots so far, that car is definitely real; you can't produce HVM-like prototypes without all of that tooling already in-place and a supply chain that is ready to move.

Hoping to see the mid engine Vette soon. Also waiting on ANY Mustang update. Bullitt maybe?

I am betting the price will be up there to the point where it makes more sense for the current Corvette crowd to buy a tech-loaded Camaro. If they turn the Corvette into a FGT competitor it will get pricey. I am sure that will make some "car enthusiast" wrinkly old men who never go over 80 in their Corvettes angry that they would have to buy a Camaro instead :). If that happens I will be reading a lot of Corvette forum posts for fun :)

IF that happens, it would be interesting to see how that all plays out with a base Camaro being near 30k and a Corvette replacement model in GT350R+ADM pricing territory. But it hasn't hurt the GT350 sales to share a chassis with the base V6. The GT350 is different enough from a base model, but it had a dedicated team from Ford Racing make it special. As far as I know, GM does not have an equivalent "special" team that would set the Camaro apart from the base models except in upgraded components. Definitely not one with an equivalent reputation like Ford Racing. The Z28, for instance, was pretty much just bolt-ons. The GT350 had a lot of new parts designed, like the rotors, spoilers, new trans, cooling, fenders, etc... A co-worker has an SS2 with the electronic dampers and it is a fun car. I think it would be easy to replace the Corvette in terms of raw performance, but that is not why the typical 1st owner buys one, in my opinion... They might not sell very well, but I am not sure GM would care since they could easily make whatever model is selling.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I think Chevy has a good thing going since they basically have the "affordable" two seat American sports car market cornered. They'd have to be really stupid to make the Corvette as unattainable as the GT. Ford should introduce a Corvette competitor with a similar price, not the other way around. I'm really excited to see what this new Vette ends up being.

Maybe once they have the mid-engine platform in a moderately priced Corvette then they would come out with a crazy expensive supped up version to compete with the GT? If they did that then they could probably get to the performance of the GT for less money since it would have higher volume due to the base Corvette sales. Then the base would possibly be reasonably priced, but I still bet it will cost more than the current generation. I am not sure Ford will come out with a less expensive lower performance GT to compete with the Vette but we can dream :)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Dealers do not determine ADM, buyers do. No demand, buyer driven, there is no ADM.

I have never heard of a GT-350 sitting on a lot for a year. I do know a guy who bought a new Z-28 for $46K because no one would buy, for over a year, zero ADM.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I too look forward to seeing the reviews on the new mid engine Corvette performance stats.

I’m sure we’ll see a price increase, but overall I see a Super Car powertrain layout, at slightly above current Corvette pricing levels.

I also suspect a Street Legal Race Car model that will be very pricy.

US
I was at a track racing with an engineer from Chevy, Detroit and he said they can produce a mid engine Vette for 2900$ over current production cost of a current vette. Said it IS coming .....

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Anybody got any feedback on the new Lexus LC500? N/A 470+ HP.. 10 sp auto trans...not a race car but a sports car.....Price around $100K....I know it must have a lot more bells & whistles than my Boss but it don't take a lot to keep me happy..........

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Anybody got any feedback on the new Lexus LC500? N/A 470+ HP.. 10 sp auto trans...not a race car but a sports car.....Price around $100K....I know it must have a lot more bells & whistles than my Boss but it don't take a lot to keep me happy..........

I've seen one in person at Cars and Coffee. It's certainly gaudy. I think it looks really weird. The nose is too long and the Lexus design language makes it look even longer. It's just...weird looking. It's not terrible, but it definitely has the appearance of a grand tourer and not a track car.

TMO Supporting Vendors