The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Coyote Truck Motor at 7500 RPM or More

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking at PBH's website, they are probably selling you a Ford Performance Gen 3 control pack and the parts for the return fuel system:

It is your choice, but I wouldn't go this route. I wouldn't want to mess with the steering rack hassle and the loss of ABS.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
So you are using a different PCM? That is what is needed for a Gen 3 motor with direct injection in a Gen 1 chassis. How are you going to control / activate the steering rack and retain ABS? Or, are you leaving out part of PBH's proposed solution? When you say PBH recommends and engine harness, retain stock cams, and retain direct injection, I am assuming you are retaining Gen 3 controls and changing the PCM.

For a track car, you really want to retain the ABS (ask Sal about his post-swap brake challenges).

For your horsepower levels, you are making this more difficult than needed. Use the Gen 3 shortblock, swap on your Gen 1 heads with Gen 1 head gaskets or Gen 2 with Gen 2 gaskets. Reuse your current cams if they are not damaged. Install a Ford Performance Gen 1 cam drive kit. Reuse your existing PCM, but get a good dyno tune due to the compression change.

You should probably by new lash adjusters and finger followers (rocker arms). These components set up a wear pattern. If reused, they must be reinstalled exactly where they orginally cam from. In other words, you need to keep track of which bore the lash adjuster cam out of and which finger follower was on top of the lash adjuster.

Install new Boss 302 valve springs.

Do not install new oil pump gears in an old housing. Buy a new OEM pump and install the gears to avoid any wear issues.

Why are you replacing the flywheel?

With the Boss intake and long tubes, you will hit your power goals.
^^This^^

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hello, Hoosier?
Yeah, I don't have ABS anymore.....please send me a million tires.

307299910_456831986412257_4863108514387764071_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Mad Hatter and I have almost identical engines, built by the same guy. (Shaun @ AED)
Stock gen 3 bottom end, Intake only cams, CJ intake/Long Tubes and ported heads. (Me gen 2 heads, Madhatter gen 1 heads)
Both are making over 500 rwhp.

TMO Supporting Vendors