2018 Ford GT Heritage Edition

Discussion in 'Fords Other High Performance Vehicles' started by boss302ls, May 27, 2018.

1. boss302ls

boss302ls TMO Advanced

During a recent track event at the Assen TT Circuit in the Netherlands, a rare GT Heritage Edition hit the track and sent tongues wagging. Looking extremely composed tackling the circuit alongside a fleet of other supercars and hypercars, the GT’s long-slung profile makes it appear even more exotic than many multi-million-dollar alternatives.

Making this particular GT even more special is a titanium exhaust from Akrapovic.

Sitting directly behind the passenger compartment of the supercar is a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 delivering 647 HP and 550 lb-ft of torque. This engine shares many components with the GT race car and, despite "not" being a V8, as many would have liked, is absolutely fitting for the $450,000 American supercar.

While a Ford with a half million dollar sticker price may sound crazy, demand for the GT has been far higher than supply. Why, a 2017 example was auctioned recently at $1.8 million – proof, if any was needed, that the new GT commands big bucks.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Cool. There’s no new car I’d rather own than a GT

boss302ls likes this.
  3. boss302ls

boss302ls TMO Advanced

There must have been a billion dollars in exotics on the track at the end of the video. Well, maybe not quite a billion, but none the less it was impressive.

4. boss302ls

boss302ls TMO Advanced

Just wish that Ford had something to compete with the McLaren 570S in price and performance.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  5. VoodooBoss

I like McLaren’s a lot and if I had an extra $400k lying around a 720S would be in my garage. Only because I can’t get a GT. ;)

6. boss302ls

boss302ls TMO Advanced

I thought you could get a base 720S for 250K. Have you tried the 570S? It's very fast, $180K is a little more reasonable too.

7. VoodooBoss

Who buys a base McLaren with no options?

8. boss302ls

boss302ls TMO Advanced

someone who does not have 400K. ;)

9. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Sure looks sweet...sounds pretty good as well.

10. suck fumes

suck fumes TMO Intermediate

i started laughing at 3:55. You see all these cool cars then then there a hatchback with guy hanging out the back going 100 mph trying to film them haha. Never at any american track would that be allowed.

ArizonaBOSS and boss302ls like this.
  11. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

That was a nice parade lap.

12. Fat Boss

Fat Boss TMO Addict

My buddy at work's wife said if she could get a puppy, he could get a McLaren. They picked up a nice golden retriever pup a couple weeks ago... He's targeting a low mileage 650S.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  13. racer47

racer47 All I got left is fast

They're almost all low mile, hardly anyone really drives them. Plus the resale prices seem lower than they should be. Not that I'm really in the market but I am a McLaren fan.

2015 650S for $165k https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...=MCLAREN&makeCode1=MCLAREN&modelCode1=MCL650S

2012 12C for $113k https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-McLaren-MP4-12C-d2147#listing=203269901

If I could buy parts as needed for normal maintenance, I might take a chance on a 12C. But there are some very expensive problems that come up from time to time and its not worth an extra unexpected 20k or more just to drive a McLaren for a couple years.

14. VoodooBoss

Nice. The 12C hasn’t held its value well and is really fast. I’d own one. I haven’t kept up with issues on the car, what are they?

15. racer47

racer47 All I got left is fast

This is what killed the idea for me
    $35k steering rack replacement, $3k for a battery, various electronic issues, only serviceable thru a McLaren dealer, etc.

I can't even find an engine oil filter for a 12C let alone any actual service parts. The coolness of owning and driving a supercar just isn't worth the cost of entry plus the very high odds of having excessive repair costs.

If the risks were more reasonable and/or I was able to do some or most of the work, than I'd buy one, drive it for a year or 2 or 3 and sell it. I'd accept the depreciation but I wouldn't want to cover $5k in yearly maintenance costs and another $50k on other problems.

Other interesting 12C info
    http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/52994-annual-service-costs.html
    http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...uy-curious-about-service-ownership-costs.html
    http://www.exoticcarhacks.com/car-reviews/mclaren-mp4-12c-buyers-guide/

VoodooBoss likes this.