The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Ford Mustang GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking forward to seeing the PP2 reviews. I have driven a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE and I really hope Ford has really stepped up to the plate to compete. The 1LE is obviously very capable but, as with all semi-recent GM performance cars that I have driven (ATS-V, gen 2 CTS-V, Chevy SS), it left me cold.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Guys, this will be the 28 car in steveespo’s stable by summer 2018. White/Black/Gold to honor Davey Allison/Robert Yates Racing T-Birds. Funny they mention the market between the GT and GT350 (or GT and Boss), I have been that market for 8 years now, they finally built one that 1) will be X Plan eligible, and 2) won’t need to have a special allocation or be subject to asshat ADM. The 350 was/is a great car and if Ford was able to hold them at MSRP I may have bought 1 (or 2 as fate had it). The PP2 is right in my niche and the performance is going to surprise many doubters. Of course I will get to rubbing on the motor and aero a bit which will only make it better. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My only grip about the new mustang is that it went from having a snout like a tiger shark (2012 at least) to looking like a nurse shark in 2018... apart from that, great car!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If that number is right though it's going to be a pretty rare car, not as rare as a 350R, but rarer than a 350. So I am expecting people are going to see ADM as a matter of course. All the more reason to hang onto my "old" '16 PP1 and buy go fast stuff for it.;)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
About the dealer mark ups. I bought my 2012 Boss online from a dealer, they told me just put a deposit down and wait the three months or so to get the MSRP price. I even got tracking info as my car was brought to California by train.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Regarding Recaros, I don't really think they are worth it. I recently tracked a premium 2017 GT with plain leather seats and they worked just as well as the Recaros in my 2016 GT. If you are serious about track work a true race seat can be swapped in about 10 minutes before heading to the track. Of course a roll bar should be used with 6 point harnesses but again if you are tracking to this cars' potential a 4 point roll bar and harnesses should be considered minimum level of safety.

Regarding Recaros, I don't really think they are worth it. I recently tracked a premium 2017 GT with plain leather seats and they worked just as well as the Recaros in my 2016 GT. If you are serious about track work a true race seat can be swapped in about 10 minutes before heading to the track. Of course a roll bar should be used with 6 point harnesses but again if you are tracking to this cars' potential a 4 point roll bar and harnesses should be considered minimum level of safety.
100% Agree Recaros are Cool until the first track day and you realize you could have bought a real seat/bracket/harness for the cost of them. They are useless for my frame, very comfy on 1300 mile road trips. Still deciding whether to ruin a perfectly good street car or not but I think if I go that direction I could part with them.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One has to wonder a little bit about the new beast coming out, since you won't be able to add the Recaros inexpensively to the GT like in 2017. I think the seat issue will always be questioned by some, and loved by others, but long term a Base GT with the Performance Pack and Recaros was still a bargain machine in my mind. For the guy who drives his Blue Oval Beast a lot, I still believe it is a perfect compromise -- very competent seat for the daily drive or the occasional autocross or track day. We have a lot of folks on our Forum that are Track Guys , but not as serious as others who strip their Stang and track it constantly. This owner , to me , is the perfect guy for a set of factory Recaros with those convenient little holes if one wants to hook belts up. VoodooBoss's comments were pretty spot on imho, but we can all agree to mildly disagree --- since it is the Christmas Season after all.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I like the Recaros, they work every bit as well as the seats in last 2 cars I raced. But that was in the early 90s and the seats back then weren't all that great and was rare you'd see over 1g of lateral load!

I ran another Mustang this summer that had a full race seat and cage and it was just a beyotch to get in and out of, mostly because of the side bolsters on the seat, my car with the Recaros is way easier to get in and out of. I'm pulling more lateral loads in my car than the caged car was and I have no problem with feeling stable and comfortable. It could be my size helps, I'm 6' and 180 lbs so not real big and these seats really work for me.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Recently drove my car with the recaros instead the Corbeau race seat I usually use..... Startling difference in the seat of the pants feel. I could not feel the grip any where near as well as usual. Will not do that again at the track...

TMO Supporting Vendors