The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2018 full road race GT "Corcel" Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
First of all I'm sorry about my English as it's my second language.
I was born and live in Brazil for 51 years now and for the last 31 years I've been racing cars.
Now let's tell Corcel's history as its so special to me because its intended to be my last racing car!!!

This is how it is today but allow me to get back in time to show you how it got there!!!Musta - 1.jpeg .

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
After many years racing everything from drag to road race cars I started attending time attack events and decided to find a car that could be used in the streets and the track.
I was looking for a 2012 Carrera S 911 when I came across this 218 Mustang GT PP1 for way less money. This huge difference in price made me consider the Mustang and so I started searching the web for road race builds as i always thought that Mustangs were only good on a straight line. I found out that since the introduction of the S550 it became more of an european sports car like when tackling bends.
After lots of research I decided to buy and modify it to be my street/track machine.
It had something like 3 thousand miles on the odometer and was like new.
I drove 5 hours back home and got in love with it.
I called it Corcel . Do you have this word in English?

original - 1.jpeg

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Welcome , You have a beautiful car and it's a great platform to start out with. You're going to have lots of fun at the track with it. There is loads of information on this website to help you with your build . :hellyeah:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Atlanta, GA
I called it Corcel . Do you have this word in English?
Not that I'm aware of, I don't think I've of heard word before, I had to google it just now haha

Are you running Apex EC-7 with APR Wing?
I think I have the same wheel/wing as you! haha

Welcome!!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Not that I'm aware of, I don't think I've of heard word before, I had to google it just now haha

Are you running Apex EC-7 with APR Wing?
I think I have the same wheel/wing as you! haha

Welcome!!
Corcel is a word in Portuguese (we speak it here in Brazil) for fast horse or battle horse and this is why I named my Mustang Corcel.

Yes I'm using Apex wheels and APR wing now.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
c2a3d814-dc06-4661-ba2b-a1f47a84e88c.jpg

The previous owner has already installed 1-7/8" MBRP headers, X-pipe and a remap burning E100 that we find in every gas station here in Brazil.

4255b8ed-4123-4b3f-a551-3f50c8ee346a.jpg
With more than 500 hp to the wheels it was time for some suspension work and slicks to put all this power to the ground.

e80eecc0-4763-40e9-ac81-966e78ddc79a.jpg
We dropped in some Ford Performance goodies including coils, sway bars and a remap to the Magneride shocks.

f9b9830a-474b-42fa-b190-9c7aad444a4d.jpg
New vertical link to help prevent wheel hop

ed6acde7-3b97-40b4-9e38-592fc55e6fd2.jpg
Camber plates to gain some camber.

All of this got us ready for our first Time Attack event.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
First event happened on a track far from home. It was my first time there and the track is very difficult to get familiar with.
SANDRO-TANNURI-GO-RACE-ROAD-&-TRACK-DAY-CURVELO-SET-2019-ALTA-2-6.JPG

Street tires had a tough time keeping me on track.

But my years of racing helped a little.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
After my first track experience with the car I decided it was time for slicks as the street tires were far from enough for keeping the car on track.
IMG_0232.jpeg
Time for some good quality wheel studs

IMG_0251.jpeg

Apex 18" wheels 10" front and 11"rear

IMG_7241.jpeg

My first two slick sets on this car were used but waaaay better than the street tires it came with.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Welcome and love the car!

Curious, what are you using for front downforce? Hard to tell from the picture but I don't see a splitter or hood vents.
Thank you!!!

I'm using quite nothing at this time. I have some hood louvers that reduces lift and noting more. I'm waiting for available budget to do it right the first time and hope this year I have it done.

TMO Supporting Vendors